blindside options; build your own bike!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
blindside options; build your own bike!
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 20:52 Quote
2008 blindside frame: Black, Orange, Raw or White?

Floating Brake Assembly ($89): Black, Raw or White?

Shock: dhx 5 or vivid 5.1?

Fork:
2007 888 rc2x
2008 888 ATA WC
2008 888 rc-3
2008 boxxer team

TBC stem, pedals, chainring and chainguide: black, gold, red, blue or green?

TBC Revolution wheelset: black, red, white or brown?

choose the set up you find the best and explain why... short and simple

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 21:00 Quote
frame: raw
floating brake: raw
shock: vivid
fork: 2007 rc2x
components: red
wheels: red

Raw and red go good together.
Want to try a vivid.
Like the old forks better then the 08 ones.

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 21:00 Quote
i'm not too sure about Transition bikes. I'm sure there will be many dissenting voices, but the riders that I know that have ridden transition full-suspension frames haven't been as happy with them as other bikes. Quote: "they were great cheap fullies, but then they went mainstream and the prices rose. For the same price, you can get a better feeling bike. end of story." this was from the owner of a custom dirt bag and a custom bottlerocket. both set up perfectly for his style. Now, he rides iron horse. There are other examples...

if you're going for an 08 dual crown, I'd pick the boxxer over the 888. those things feel amazing!

my 2 cents

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 21:03 Quote
nickf wrote:
2008 blindside frame: Black

Floating Brake Assembly ($89): get it whit and spray paint it the same colour as the stem, pedals, chainring, and chainguide

Shock: vivid 5.1?

Fork:
2008 888 ATA WC

TBC stem, pedals, chainring and chainguide: red

TBC Revolution wheelset: black

choose the set up you find the best and explain why... short and simple
colours simply cuz, the fork cuz it the lightest and the best ive tried although id prefer totems. vivid because of adjustability

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 21:20 Quote
2008 blindside frame: Black,

Floating Brake Assembly ($89): Black,

Shock: vivid 5.1?

Fork:

2008 boxxer team

TBC stem, pedals, chainring and chainguide: blue

TBC Revolution wheelset: black,

black and blue is classy and smooth, the blindside at DNZ has vivid and team and is an exceptionally good combo.

Mod
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 21:29 Quote
Don't let the kiddies on PB tell you what to ride! It is your bike so you should build it the way you want it. I prefer a bike's functionality over the color of components so color is not important to me. The best advice I will give is to find bikes with similar forks and shocks and to tune them to your weight and take them for a test ride. Everybody on this site is so biased towards brands that if you said black, they would say white. It is just the way things are on this site but between your own research and talking to your local shop employees but more importantly the service guys, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Also, some people recommending parts/components have never even ridden a bike with these components let alone owned them. Therefore, half of the stuff in threads like this is based off of hearsay rather than first hand experience.

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 21:37 Quote
i've pretty much already decided on my fork and shock combo. i'm leaning very closely to the vivid and the 888 ATA. i have the money to get it. It has a very light weight and for not much more than the normal 888rc-3. also, for 08, the stanctions have been boosted up to 38mm, another boost in stiffness over the boxxer.

i'm mostly making this forum give give myslef some color ideas. Raw is actually lighter because no paint is used, only a finish. i'm just including the suspension options to keep things intersting. it might help me in some case

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 21:50 Quote
nick, here's my two cents...

as far as the frame goes, i think the orange or the raw would be sick based on the website's pics.

definitely go w/ the ata 888...it's light, it's stiff, has 38 mm stanchions, rebound, compression, and the 40 mm of adjustment on the fork makes it easy to pedal up trails like exit 38 and 27...i've actually ridden the fork's predecessor and loved the ride...the ata is cool stuff.

as far as pedals, it really depends on the frames color in my opinion...but it's your choice...personally, i think you should go w/ a set of the crank bros 50/50's...they give you more color options, are a hell of a lot lighter and are covered by a better warranty.

for the wheels, white or black, but white would be sick.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 21:56 Quote
frame: raw
floating brake: raw
shock: vivid 5.1
fork: boxxer team
components: red
wheels: red

i have a blindside with a vivid and its simply amazing. its such an active and sensitive shock and super plush. not to mention all the adjustments. get a boxxer team to match it for a super dialed suspension set up. my frame is also raw and its soooo sick

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 21:58 Quote
i'm going with transition's own freeride single ringle parts kit. i'm limited to their parts, but it wont limit me at all in quality. Color isn't very important if it means hurting performance. i think the stem may actually be a truvative holzfeller, and not the TBC stem... who knows. it's all good. did i mention i'm getting this all on prodeal!!!?? hahaha

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 22:05 Quote
Blindsides seem and look like really neat bikes.

Check this article on how to build your blindside light: http://www.sicklines.com/tech/transition_blindside

Frame: Orange
Floating Brake: Black
Fork: Boxxer with black and red decals
Bars: Black
Stem: Red
chainring and chainguide: Red
Cranks: Black
Pedals: orange
Wheelset: Red or Black, I can't pick

For one, the frame it self is super rad, and the fork is the lightest of those options I think, I haven't done my homework on those, but that color scheme is quite different than anything I've seen.

Mod
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 22:05 Quote
nickf wrote:
i'm going with transition's own freeride single ringle parts kit. i'm limited to their parts, but it wont limit me at all in quality. Color isn't very important if it means hurting performance. i think the stem may actually be a truvative holzfeller, and not the TBC stem... who knows. it's all good. did i mention i'm getting this all on prodeal!!!?? hahaha

Too bad most of the components in that build are mediocre at best. I guess it is cool to get a pro-deal and all that jazz but I like to be particular in the components and bikes I ride so nothing but the best will do. I guess this is how I manage to build up full DH rigs that are 37 pounds. I have mixed feelings towards Transition so I probably would never ride one of their bikes but that is my opinion. The only real advantage that they have is the price of their bikes and build kits is extremely competitive and relatively cheap for what you get but I think that there is better stuff out there that isn't filled with a bunch of "in-house" brand parts.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 22:07 Quote
how are ou getting this on prodeal? i mean, i know transition's been pretty good to guys @ my shop about pro-deals, but that's just ridiculous...i think they just want to get bikes out to locs who they know are gonna rep their stuff @ the trails.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 22:14 Quote
laurie, you realize nick is more of a freerider, right? 37 lbs??? what kinda race rigs are you building?

Mod
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 22:27 Quote
sgsrider wrote:
laurie, you realize nick is more of a freerider, right? 37 lbs??? what kinda race rigs are you building?
Either way, freerider or DH'er, I am just saying that there are loads of better parts out there in terms of strength/durability and weight when compared to what is in Transition's build kits. I have never been a fan of "in-house" parts made by a manufacturer that also makes frames as their resources become stretched thin making for a lack of advancement in their frames since they are focused on other priorities/componentry. However, there are some exceptions. I personally just am not fond of this practice. As of right now, my complete DH rig for 2008 weighs in at 37.86439 pounds but I can drop nearly four pounds with lighter cranks, wheels, brakes, cassette, a lighter rear tire, a fork and using ti bolts and a ti spring. I don't want to hijack the thread so if you PM me your email address, I can email you my build.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008878
Mobile Version of Website