How to convince my parents to let me get a new bike

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
How to convince my parents to let me get a new bike
Posted: Jan 25, 2011 at 15:05 Quote
Tell her you like biking and that it keeps you active...Ask her if she would rather have a fat lazy kid or an active kid who bikes.

Posted: Jan 25, 2011 at 15:40 Quote
bigjesssc wrote:
Your entitled to spend your own money...

I would not say that, nor would I tell my parents that its my money and its none of their business what I do with it. Both those statements will get you absolutely nowhere but in an argument. Every kid has tried it and it has always ended poorly especially when you consider how much of their money that your parents spent/spend on luxury items for you.

For most parents, the big deal about spending money on stuff like bikes is that there's no guarantee that the kid is going to stick with it regardless of what they say or how long they've been doing it especially at 15. Next year you turn 16 and then cars will come into your life. I had quite a few riding buddies when I was that age who swore up and down that they would never quit riding, 2 years later all their bike stuff was sold and they were building cars.

Honestly it's a lot easier to just figure out a way to make money and buy your own stuff.

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 0:55 Quote
Convince them that you really really want to get into riding even more. Possibly even racing. Its a hobby. And a good one too. also they need to realise the more chance you get to ride. The less likely you are to be getting into trouble or into drugs. Even if you say you'll repay them in your pocket money allowence. I work. So buy my own bike. But I remember trying to convince my dad to buy my a new speacialized P3 when I was 15. I had new motocross bikes and raced reguler. But convinced him that mountain biking would build my leg strength up and cardio

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 1:35 Quote
yea whenever i try speaking to my parents it fails as i get lost and forget all the good reasons so i wrote them a letter about buying the big hit i got, not only did i want their permission to buy it i also needed £250 off of them to pay for it... and it worked Smile

heres the letter

Can I buy a bike?

I am writing to you because after Angus wrote his letter for the PS3 and I saw that work I thought I would give it a shot as I can never argue my case with you. So I want you to make an informed, considerate and well discussed decision about this.

What is it? Right so as you know I have found a bike I would like to buy in aberdeen. The cost of the bike is £750 its a 2009 specialized big hit 1 with heaps of upgrades so the bike would cost £1400 to make from 2nd hand parts and around £2200 brand new so is a bargain like no other. At first you may think that £750 is a lot to pay for a bike but being the sort of bike it is, it is the cheapest I have ever seen on the internet.

Why do I want? This sort of bike is a downhill bike, typically downhill bikes have more suspension, stronger frames and better brakes to cope with the demands of cycling down rocky and steep terrain. The stuff you bought me for xmas was downhill mountain biking gear that I wanted in advance for me purchasing a downhill bike.

What I will do for it? Firstly mum talked about waiting until I had my prelim results and then deciding whether or not I am allowed to buy it. Unfortunately this cant happen as the guy wants the bike sold this weekend as he has had a few other offers. Therefore I am begging you to believe that I can show motivation and enthusiasm towards my prelims and commit myself to doing jobs around the house. If you were to let me purchase this bike and then I went on to fail all my prelims then you would have the right to make me sell it.

How much I need? If you have been in the bank of mum recently you will know I have around £500, so I would need to borrow £250 from you in order to pay for it. As you know I have a birthday coming up soon and the end of the month which is another opportunity to make £80 if I have been doing jobs and studying hard. So the £250 could be payed back by the end of February at the latest. And then I would work towards getting the £200 savings back.

Other reasons
I know from being on Pinkbike that opportunity’s like these don’t come around a lot and this is like the meatballs in Ikea... an absolute bargain
I want to prove to you this week that I can do all the things in the “what I will do for it” section
mountain biking is the only hobby I am properly committed to and enjoy and for you to deny me of this opportunity would be mean and make me very sad
mountain biking is exercise
my current bike is not capable and never will be no matter how much I spend on it
imagine Tigz at my door in the mornings wanting to get in... well that's what I am like about this bike.

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 13:36 Quote
Lol did it work? And did you keep to your part of the deal?

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 13:40 Quote
darrenpallatina wrote:
Lol did it work? And did you keep to your part of the deal?

it did... check da big hit on my profile. Smile i have actually, need to pass my prelims tho then its mine for sure Smile

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 14:19 Quote
get some of the older guys you ride with to tell your parents you will be alot faster with a new bike. thats what i did and it got me my bighit.

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 14:50 Quote
Fake the death of your bike

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 15:19 Quote
that would be the greatest idea ever

Posted: Jan 27, 2011 at 21:14 Quote
devulge96 wrote:
1: blackmail
2: show them videos of accidents when peoples frames have cracked and say "that could be me"
3: blackmail.
ha!

Posted: Jan 27, 2011 at 21:19 Quote
get a part time job at a bikeshop or somehting like that and slowly build money and a discount on parts and before you know you might have a brand new bike or even a kick ass custom ride . i did that when their was a bike shop in my town and i was into bmx. i didnt get the best parts but it was still better than what i started out with Smile

Posted: Jan 27, 2011 at 22:29 Quote
Had a look at ya bike mate. Looks awesome. Especially for the price Smile hope ya have fun riding it! Smile

Posted: Jan 27, 2011 at 22:53 Quote
was that to me or the thread ? Razz

Posted: Jan 27, 2011 at 23:32 Quote
To the tread mate lol. Sorry

Posted: Jan 28, 2011 at 0:19 Quote
To the tread mate lol. Sorry

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.019680
Mobile Version of Website