Anyone ever have a Type III AC separation?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Anyone ever have a Type III AC separation?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 18, 2010 at 9:40 Quote
just had an MRI of my shoulder, and the diagnosis was complete tearing of the acromioclavicular ligament, as well as coracoclavicular ligaments consistent with type III AC separation.Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.health.com/health/static/hw/media/medical/hw/hwkb17_036_04.jpg

Posted: May 18, 2010 at 9:50 Quote
Yes, though I have had two Type 2 separations in both shoulders and a Type 3 in my left shoulder.

All you can really do is follow your GP's advice, keep it in a sling, and see whether you might need surgery or not. Lucky I didn't have too Smile

Took about 4-6 weeks to fully become usable in anyform, and around 3 months before it was back to its old self.

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 8:34 Quote
I was too dopey to recall, but i have a type 2 i think. scored it after going over the bars at high speed onto rocks wednesday morning. they say stay off the brakes going downhill, you should stay off the brakes. the back one anyways lol. but yeah im gonna baby it and really focus on physio. make sure i follow orders and it heals properly. just sucks on the timing of it all. getting hurt is never fun. hope all goes well.

Posted: Aug 4, 2010 at 7:10 Quote
Good luck man, just rest it up and don't take it too fast. I had a type 3 as well on my right shoulder, it was painful as hell for the first week and had to go heavy on the meds because sleeping was so uncomfortable and painful (but you probably know what I'm talking about).

But like dobby said, really not much you can do about it other than rest and wait for it to heal. I could only imagine the long term damage from a complete separation by using it when injured, not worth the risk.

Took over a month before I was comfortable enough to move it around and use my arm to do regular stuff, but like another 4 months or so and physio before I even felt comfortable lifting any weights or doing physical activities like before.

Now my shoulder has a weird bulge in it (which is apparently normal), but the strength seems to be pretty much what it was before..

Posted: Aug 4, 2010 at 7:25 Quote
Two weird bulges... Where you also able to give your collar bone a press and watch it spring back up? Very odd thing to do while on strong painkillers Smile

Honest to god though, separating a shoulder was more painful than when I broke it.

Posted: Aug 4, 2010 at 7:38 Quote
I had a type 3 which obviously requires surgery due to the fact that both ligaments get torn.

I had surgery to cut my clavicle bone so that it would fit back in its socket. Two synthetic bands where positioned to keep my clavicle in place, and a ligament was detached from another area to attach it to my clavicle to also hold it in place.

Its been about 5 years since that, and its held up pretty well. I have lifted weights, biked and fallen on my shoulder again and what not. All good now.

Posted: Aug 5, 2010 at 7:29 Quote
Interesting as I had a Type III on my left shoulder and the Dr said that unless I was a expert athlete for a living its not worth doing. Its okay a year later but the shoulder gets sore faster then normal. My friend has the surgery and shared it was painful and recovery was slow. I don't feel either of us are better off but wish you the best with yours.

Posted: Aug 10, 2010 at 23:17 Quote
I had a 3 in my right 5 years ago? didnt get surgery, dr was worried about growth plates or something. he just slung me and kept my collar bone taped down for a while. took a while to relearn my muscles. Fine now, still aches a bit in the mornings especially if i sleep on it funny, but no strength problems now. still have a little bump

Posted: Aug 11, 2010 at 7:32 Quote
I was under the impression that in type 3's surgery was not a choice, since you lose the ligaments, and ligaments don't regenerate.

I had the Weaver-Dun procedure perfomed on me and it has worked great for me.

Apparently this is what wikipedia has to say about the option of surgery:

"Most non-surgical treatment options include physical therapy to build up the muscles around the joint, helping stabilize the joint. Literature regarding long-term follow-up after surgical repair of type III injuries is scarce, and those treated nonoperatively generally do quite well.[4] Many studies[5][6][7][8][9] have come to the conclusion that non-surgical treatment is as good as or better than surgical treatment, or that anything attained because of surgery is quite limited.[9] It appears that after a while, the body "remodels" the joint, either expanding the distal clavicle or causing it to atrophy.[10] One study suggests that quarterbacks with type III injuries on their dominant side may possibly do better with surgery.[11] There may also be the potential that surgical repair may be less painful in the long run."

Posted: Feb 13, 2012 at 20:45 Quote
Got myself one of these...My doc called it a stage 3 AC separation. Didnt need surgery though....THANK GOD!!!!! Its only been 3 weeks since the accident, but the doc said I should be 100% within another 2 months Frown Thares a video of my crash on my profile...
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/238976/

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012434
Mobile Version of Website