Giant trance?

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant trance?
Posted: Nov 17, 2014 at 6:17 Quote
I noticed the same thing, but the thing to do is clean the threads of both the screws and the threads in the frame. I added loc-tight and used the sharpest ended Allen key I could find. I installed my dropouts over a year ago and I have zero issues with it moving since then. But it is an issue I see almost on a daily basis with the bikes that come in for service at my shop, but that's because they're not installed fully from factory and or not checked my the owner of the bike.

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 at 7:40 Quote
Cheers bud. Crap design though on the hanger side, all it needs it a extra flange on part of the hanger and it would not be able to rotate even if the screw was not tight or as you said needs two screws. Tried different screws and it is still possible to rotate the hanger slightly. I'm sure it will be ok once the axle in is place- still waiting on that from the LBS.

I'm going to run a 40t cog instead of the 42t on the back. Hopefully the will improve the hanger design soon!

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 at 7:44 Quote
sostokedaboutthat wrote:
Cheers bud. Crap design though on the hanger side, all it needs it a extra flange on part of the hanger and it would not be able to rotate even if the screw was not tight or as you said needs two screws. Tried different screws and it is still possible to rotate the hanger slightly. I'm sure it will be ok once the axle in is place- still waiting on that from the LBS.

I'm going to run a 40t cog instead of the 42t on the back. Hopefully the will improve the hanger design soon!
Yeah absolutely. The hub axle cap will butt right up against the hanger and cinch everything down. You could even assemble it without the little screw if you really wanted to. You'd just have to hold everything in place when you secure it.

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 11:46 Quote
More questions! What psi to run in rt3 debonair? I'm about 73kg and running over 200psi to get 25-30% sag.

What are your kg to psi setting to achieve 30% sag is the question?

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 2:18 Quote
sostokedaboutthat wrote:
More questions! What psi to run in rt3 debonair? I'm about 73kg and running over 200psi to get 25-30% sag.

I've read the debonair needs crazy pressure, I think that's totally normal

Has anyone fit a DB inline 57mm on their trance?

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 4:01 Quote
sostokedaboutthat wrote:
Cheers winston, yea it seems ok now. Yet to actual test the bike yet still waiting on rear 12mm axle from useless LBS. Been waiting nearly 2wkz now-argh!

On another note I have some QR dropouts & Spare Qr mech hanger I don't need as using 12mm if anyone is interested-PM me.

photo

Here she is so far! Yes red grips have to go! Just waiting on dropper & axle and she'll be good to go.

I got my axle and dropouts from a giant dealer in my next town they said it would be a good few days as it had to come from Europe, ordered Monday picked up on friday for an all in cost of £30 my giant dealer in my town is only interested in selling bike after that he doesn't care

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 4:04 Quote
sostokedaboutthat wrote:

I'm nearly 15 stone in riding gear I'm running around 230 psi on my debonair plus but don't let the high pressure but you off the shock is smooth small bump sensitivity is awesome in open mode

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 4:06 Quote
Creg wrote:
Has anyone experienced creaks from the headset/stem/fork? I get a kind of click noise from the area on impacts, it's worse when the float 32s are in climb mode. I've rebuilt the headset so it's all clean and I've tried 2 stems Very confused

In the meantime here is my 2014 Trance Advanced 1. Mostly stock apart from tyres, cockpit, and 1x conversion. Next will be a set of pikes and a 57mm stroke shock Big Grin

photo

I get the same noise I took my forks out applied plenty of grease but them all back together was still getting the same problem. So thought it might of been my renthal stem but one off my bolts is rounded off so can't get it off to grease up so just let it for now, but think it might be headset as the other guy mentioned. Think a hope one might need to be put in the shopping basket

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 12:24 Quote
winston1192 wrote:
sostokedaboutthat wrote:

I'm nearly 15 stone in riding gear I'm running around 230 psi on my debonair plus but don't let the high pressure but you off the shock is smooth small bump sensitivity is awesome in open mode
does the high pressure make it very progressive?

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 15:40 Quote
No not at all because the debonair has a large volume it's very linear through it's travel, but if you find your blowing through the travel its easy to install some bands to ramp it up a bit, even a 10 year old could do it

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 13:53 Quote
I've got a 2014 trance and I ride DH and DJ on it a lot. I've had no probs with it yet but I'm going to put a rockshox monarch plus or cane creek dB air cs which gets the rear travel up to 150/155mm and put a 160mm fork up front. The 27.5 wheels are good for the DH side of things too. I've hit 10 foot drops (not to flat) on it with the standard 140 mm and it hasn't broken yet

Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 4:21 Quote
Useful service pdf link for all giant owners:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/backoffice/_upload_cz/bikes/models/manual/MY14%20GIANT%20Off-Road%20Bicycles%20Service%20Info.pdf

Has anyone got a blank rubber plate for the internal routing they want to swap for a rubber mount with one hole in?

Part code is 1472-PLUGIN-403

LBS has said it will be end of Feb next year before they have one!

Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 18:40 Quote
Hey guys! I just bought the 2015 Trance 2 and have been riding it like crazy. I chose the 2 over the 1 in hopes to build it up more to my liking than the Giant build. My only upgrade so far, is a pair of ENVE RSR bars because I've come to love the feel of carbon bars and the aluminium ones weren't cutting it.

Are there any parts that you guys have swapped out immediately or very soon? The only thing I'm not liking so far are the forks. Never been a fan of the Evolution series, and my feelings stay the same on this occasion. So, just curious on what you guys would recommend for the next few purchases.

Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 22:22 Quote
Can someone let me know what type of headset I need to replace the FSA OD2 with on my 2014 Trance Advance 27.5 to work a set of pikes? I'm a bit confused with all the different ZC/EC etc stuff. Also keen for specific recommendations, looks like hope, cane creek, and chris king are the main options

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 2:22 Quote
as far as i know the headset cups are just standard and so is the bottom bearing, I'm not 100% but all you need is to change the upper bearing. OD2 uses a smaller diameter bearing to accommodate the fatter steerer which fits the OD2.

standard tapered pike will have a 1 1/8 inch upper steerer so bearing such as these may fit:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cane-creek-cartridge-bearings-s2-s3-zs2-is2/rp-prod11266

i used these on my old trek for the upper bearing and that used a internal FSA headet similar to the trance.

if in doubt speak to your local giant dealer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.099266
Mobile Version of Website