RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread

PB Forum :: Downhill
RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread
O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 18:03 Quote
Yeah, my current headset is zero-stack, and the spacer is pretty small.
My current headset is an FSA orbit similar to this but blue.

[headset/]http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/headsets/orbit-mx-threadless-headset/ [/L]

also found this and thinking I might try somethign like this

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/general-discussion/156618d1144774094-fork-steerer-tube-too-short-threadless-stem-headset.jpg

save with JB instead of locktight

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 18:06 Quote
I just had a similar problem with a short steer tube. I got stem from CRC with a 30mm stack . You can see it in my photos .Top two bolts pull a wedge up the steertube to tighten .I'm pretty sure they have at least two other stems with 30 or 32 stack .that tighten the regular two bolt at the back of the stem way.

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 18:19 Quote
VF400rider wrote:

[headset/]http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/headsets/orbit-mx-threadless-headset/ [/L]

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/general-discussion/156618d1144774094-fork-steerer-tube-too-short-threadless-stem-headset.jpg

The Orbit MX has a 32.1mm stack height... that's relatively high and there are a few lower stack headsets available. For example, something like the Crankbrother Iodine SL has 20.56mm but that is discontinued and the bottom bearings known to explode. If you can find one, and just install the top one, you would get at least 5mm more steer tube and that should be enough.

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 18:34 Quote
VF400rider wrote:

hmm interesting little gadget there...but might try the locktight over a jb job

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 19:05 Quote
[Quote= hmm interesting little gadget there...but might try the locktight over a jb job[/Quote]

Yeah, I just found out that we have a makerspace nearby at the university that has a couple CNC machines. I plan on swinging by tomorrow and seeing if perhaps we could cook up some plans for the aforementioned gadget. It be cheaper than buying a whole new headset and I think it has potential. Especially if I push my start nut down a little more so I could have a few inches inside the steer tube, then it would be a few inches inside and only about 3/4's of an inch out. Seeing as half the stem would already be on the steer tube I think it just may work.

Quick question why would you think locktite would be better of JB weld? just curious.

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 19:34 Quote
locktite has so many different compounds that are liquidy and so bondworthy for different applications these days. JB is pretty old school kinda thick pasty and the bond is not that great really. I have used the green locktight on bearing seats where loose and they are bombproof...needs heat to release

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 21:45 Quote
VF400rider wrote:
[Quote= hmm interesting little gadget there...but might try the locktight over a jb job

Yeah, I just found out that we have a makerspace nearby at the university that has a couple CNC machines. I plan on swinging by tomorrow and seeing if perhaps we could cook up some plans for the aforementioned gadget. It be cheaper than buying a whole new headset and I think it has potential. Especially if I push my start nut down a little more so I could have a few inches inside the steer tube, then it would be a few inches inside and only about 3/4's of an inch out. Seeing as half the stem would already be on the steer tube I think it just may work.

Quick question why would you think locktite would be better of JB weld? just curious.[/Quote]

my friend had similar problem, too short steer tube. his fork is boxxer team. he just add steel tube inside steerer tube to gain more strenght and as a bonding tube with extension tube. it works well. but its also dual crown, so it may have different result.

if its me, i rather find shorter stack of headset and stem.

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 22:10 Quote
The old spank spike stem had a 25mm stack height I think. Otherwise you're f*cked. Don't try to cobble anything together. Just sell the fork and get another with the right length steerer tube.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 16:25 Quote
So i was just out trying to realign my caliper with the rotor, and turns out the lower mount on the fork is stripped on the inside where you tighten the brake down... do i have any options to fix this that arent getting new lowers?

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 16:29 Quote
gtang31 wrote:
So i was just out trying to realign my caliper with the rotor, and turns out the lower mount on the fork is stripped on the inside where you tighten the brake down... do i have any options to fix this that arent getting new lowers?

larger tap

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 17:02 Quote
Take the thread to 1/4".

In metric that's 6.35mm. So you don't have to drill or do any other work, just run the tap through, and use a 1/4" bolt.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 17:24 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
Take the thread to 1/4".

In metric that's 6.35mm. So you don't have to drill or do any other work, just run the tap through, and use a 1/4" bolt.
Cool thank you! I was scared i ruined the fork

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 18:21 Quote
gtang31 wrote:

heli coil kit.

Posted: Apr 15, 2015 at 21:54 Quote
photo

if a 2.35MM on a 38mm rim fits, everything should fit.

Posted: Apr 15, 2015 at 21:58 Quote
Ebay stop my ad, I want to keep my Totem!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012506
Mobile Version of Website