Amateur Photographers, Get Noticed

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
Amateur Photographers, Get Noticed
Posted: May 11, 2016 at 1:04 Quote
...warm up above Latsch/Italy

One year alpine abstinence...back on track. Warm up day in Latsch Italy.

Posted: May 12, 2016 at 10:35 Quote
Some more pics of our trip to italy. Fab

bear trap ...great start after alpine abstinence.

photo

Posted: May 12, 2016 at 11:02 Quote
honestly i think this is one of the best RAW photos i have seen
i think these pictures are dope
fun photo shoot w iamenduro14 go check out his page

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 0:20 Quote
The last ones of our trip...

photo

photo

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 9:41 Quote
hike-a-bike from town. no heli required.

made it to the finals of the Norco contest. Need votes!

https://www.norco.com/adventurebeginshere/

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 10:42 Quote
Here's my three faves at the mo!

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 17, 2016 at 2:34 Quote
Some pics of our favorite trails at Lake Garda. Smile

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 12:38 Quote
photo
  Utflukt 2016 with Merida Norway

Posted: Jul 3, 2016 at 14:48 Quote
Some collective ones the past few weeks.
Alec going fully pinned into one of the slickest berms at Carlmont gripping tightly.
Alec looking full beast-mode as he assesses his line choice.
Paul having a little too much fun perhaps

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2016 at 5:24 Quote
Pretty cool photos, guys!
Here's one of my snaps -

Andrey going horizontal on a wooden berm...no that there s any other way really.

E-M1 + 40-150mm f2.8

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 at 9:05 Quote
Looking for help from anyone. For the first time a company has offered to buy a picture of mine. I usually give away pictures to non-profits or individuals, but since this is a law firm that wants it on their website's landing page, I'm hestitant to just give it away.

I'm more concerned with the legality of it all than the price I can sell it at. Sure I can write up a contract and do $100-$200 for a year of use. But, do I need to make an invoice for that? Do I just do paypal?

I'm also on the states on a work visa, so not sure if this is income I will have to pay taxes on or how would that work.

If anyone can share their experiences with selling their own work to a company that would be helpful. Just looking to understand if one-off situations like this are typically handled with a casual contract and paypal exchange or something more formal.

Cheers

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 at 12:33 Quote
Hey @thrice,
I've sold a few photos and services to large companies as of now, and what I can tell you is that an invoice, although seeming unnecessary, is a lot easier for the company to work with it. A normal person, sure just tell them, but I'd be safe and find an invoice template to fill out and send to them. As well with this you can choose whether you'd like your payment via check or PayPal.

About taxes, since I assume that photography is a side hobby and not a full time career, you'd be having to make over something like $10,000 a year on photos alone to file taxes. Again just my assumption, don't take it as %100, if needed I'd research that a bit more thoroughly.

As of my personal experience, it does take a bit of effort to get them to pay, so sending an updated invoice every month is key. Lastly, if you are sending over the photo file, try and send it with the first invoice. Although this might be a tad unnerving to hand over work unpaid, it allows for the client to send out your payment faster and without suspicion that you will take the money and go (with one on one clients, best get the money first, just in case Wink .)

Hope that helps,
-Josh

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 at 14:58 Quote
^ Much appreciated info good sir. This all seems even more daunting since 1) The interested party is actually a law firm 2) I am a foreigner in the U.S. working a Finance Consulting job on a temporary visa and 3) This would be my first time asking for money in exchange of my work (so far it's only been free products and the like).

I'll definitely look into creating an invoice for them. From what I'd heard, it would be fair to charge somewhere in the area of $200 for a digital file, in a single payment, for commercial use during 12 months.

I keep putting off charging for one reason or another even though I've had quite a few request, but I realize I got to start doing it sooner rather than later. If not for anything else, just to know how the process works. After all, we all wonder what if we could do this for a living.

BTW, in case anyone's interested, I'm at www.bombearmedia.com

If you must ask about the name, I used to be a volunteer fire fighter which in Spanish is a "Bombero" and people would call me Bomber (I also had a Marzocchi 66RCx) as a nickname. A friend from IMBA in Manchester knows I like bears and recommended the name Bombear after I told him I needed a brand for some of the more professional work I was doing for IMBA and other organizations.

Cheers! Beer

Posted: Aug 14, 2016 at 20:42 Quote
First attempt at photographing downhill

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q138/alexbrowne44/Mobile%20Uploads/4490964-01.jpeg

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.058413
Mobile Version of Website