Downhill Bikes For Tall Riders

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Downhill Bikes For Tall Riders
O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2014 at 13:06 Quote
BurkeW wrote:
Nicolia's are cool as hell but seem more of fashion statement and how many adjustments we can fit on a bike for the sake of it. Not to mention they dont really care about weight.

I don't want to come across as a Nicolai fanboy, but I wanted to share my thoughts after having researched their bikes. There's only one adjustment on the ION 20. I wouldn't say it's fair to describe that as "how many adjustments we can fit on a bike for the sake of it." They do offer the frame in three different drivetrain variations, but you only get one of those (traditional drivetrain, electric drive, internal gearbox) because the frame is welded up differently to suit your drivetrain choice, so that's not an "adjustment" - just an option, and options are a good thing.

As for the weight, I've heard the same thing about their frames. I just built my 2014 ION 20 XL and it's the lightest DH bike I've owned. Granted, it has the best kit of any DH bike I've owned, too. For reference: CCDB Air shock, Fox 40 Float fork, full Saint components (brakes, cranks, shifter, derailleur, etc...), Stans Flow EX rims with Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs, Maxxis High Roller II tubeless, Easton Havoc carbon handlebar, HT AE03 pedals...

Bike weighs 36.5 lbs with pedals. Not exactly a heffer. Can you build a different bike with those same components and come up lighter? Sure. However, I wouldn't want someone to read your comment and assume they'll never get under 40 lbs, either.

I just wanted to present a fairer picture of what Nicolai offers. And let me state that I have no idea how "good" the bike is. I'm not saying "Nicolai for the win!" I'm just saying you get one adjustment and it came out at a really good weight.

Posted: Mar 18, 2014 at 14:04 Quote
snojcb wrote:
BurkeW wrote:
Nicolia's are cool as hell but seem more of fashion statement and how many adjustments we can fit on a bike for the sake of it. Not to mention they dont really care about weight.

I don't want to come across as a Nicolai fanboy, but I wanted to share my thoughts after having researched their bikes. There's only one adjustment on the ION 20. I wouldn't say it's fair to describe that as "how many adjustments we can fit on a bike for the sake of it." They do offer the frame in three different drivetrain variations, but you only get one of those (traditional drivetrain, electric drive, internal gearbox) because the frame is welded up differently to suit your drivetrain choice, so that's not an "adjustment" - just an option, and options are a good thing.

As for the weight, I've heard the same thing about their frames. I just built my 2014 ION 20 XL and it's the lightest DH bike I've owned. Granted, it has the best kit of any DH bike I've owned, too. For reference: CCDB Air shock, Fox 40 Float fork, full Saint components (brakes, cranks, shifter, derailleur, etc...), Stans Flow EX rims with Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs, Maxxis High Roller II tubeless, Easton Havoc carbon handlebar, HT AE03 pedals...

Bike weighs 36.5 lbs with pedals. Not exactly a heffer. Can you build a different bike with those same components and come up lighter? Sure. However, I wouldn't want someone to read your comment and assume they'll never get under 40 lbs, either.

I just wanted to present a fairer picture of what Nicolai offers. And let me state that I have no idea how "good" the bike is. I'm not saying "Nicolai for the win!" I'm just saying you get one adjustment and it came out at a really good weight.
Personal preference right? I'd stay away from Nicolai the same reason I'd personally stay away from BOS suspension at the moment. Although an amazing product possibly one of the best they still don't have any support in North America. There is enough hassles in life one id like to live without is 6 weeks or more without my bike for something that could be resolved within a week. And the adjustability I was referring to were frames like the Nucleon's where the shock can be adjusted in several spots on the downtube alone then again on the swing arm and so on. I have been a fan of that company for a long time their frames are beautiful. But getting one here and so on is a pricey then the support comes into play. Their are just soooooo many more options close to home that are a better choice.

Posted: Mar 22, 2014 at 17:12 Quote
Im 6'5" and had a norco large. Way to small. Giant glory large wasnt bad. Still hit my kneels on bars sometimes tho ehile pedaling . Ive also ridden my brother specialized demo large which feels really nice because its so slack and longer wheel base. Then i got my xl Santa cruz nomad. Heaven. Go Santa cruz XL over anything large

Posted: Mar 23, 2014 at 8:32 Quote
I'm 6'1 and I ride a Specialized demo large. I could've ridden a medium if I wanted but I went for the large. If 6'1 is the top end of a demo medium then anyone taller should test out the large.

Posted: Mar 23, 2014 at 17:49 Quote
Klodes wrote:
I'm 6'1 and I ride a Specialized demo large. I could've ridden a medium if I wanted but I went for the large. If 6'1 is the top end of a demo medium then anyone taller should test out the large.
Dude, Demos fit tiny. Anyone over 6'3" should be on an XL.

Posted: Apr 3, 2014 at 20:40 Quote
Has anyone been on a Ghost DH? The TT seems pretty close to an XL Wilson

Posted: Jul 18, 2014 at 12:52 Quote
Hi guys im 6'4 and wondered whether any of the scott voltages or gambler 2011 models in size long would fit me? thanks!

Posted: Jul 18, 2014 at 12:56 Quote
Tabbererc wrote:
Hi guys im 6'4 and wondered whether any of the scott voltages or gambler 2011 models in size long would fit me? thanks!
I'd say that the Voltage will be too small for sure. As for the Gambler, it will be a tight fit. My buddy who's 5'9" raced a long Gambler for 2 years.

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 at 9:50 Quote
I'm 6'5" and used to have a Santacruz VP Free in large (19"), a bit old school I know but fitted me perfectly

Posted: Feb 19, 2015 at 6:41 Quote
Hi guy i got a big question for you,
Is it better a GT Fury 2.0 2013 Or a Giant Glory 01 2014?
Thanks for you help

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 at 21:31 Quote
Raffaele87 wrote:
Hi guy i got a big question for you,
Is it better a GT Fury 2.0 2013 Or a Giant Glory 01 2014?
Thanks for you help
The new style of Fury is one of the largest frames I could find and is an inch larger than a XL V10c. But I can't remember when the Fury went to their new style. Glory's are small.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 21:36 Quote
I'm 6'5" and have always felt pretty comfortable on most large frames. My current 2010 demo 8 is a large and it fits great. I do have longer legs and a shorter torso for someone my size. I tried a brand new xl v10 the other day for comparison, and it felt spot on for me. Honestly though, I could really tell the difference between my bike and the Santa Cruz. I'd like to try a new demo 8 in xl though. All that being said, I can't believe most major companies have only recently started to make xl frames. Even shoes man!! I wear a size 14 1/2. I want to buy a pair of 510's but none of the lbs's can order anything bigger than 13 even though 510 does make my size. It says so on their website!!! WTF??

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 22:04 Quote
brassinne wrote:
I'm 6'5" and have always felt pretty comfortable on most large frames. My current 2010 demo 8 is a large and it fits great. I do have longer legs and a shorter torso for someone my size. I tried a brand new xl v10 the other day for comparison, and it felt spot on for me. Honestly though, I could really tell the difference between my bike and the Santa Cruz. I'd like to try a new demo 8 in xl though. All that being said, I can't believe most major companies have only recently started to make xl frames. Even shoes man!! I wear a size 14 1/2. I want to buy a pair of 510's but none of the lbs's can order anything bigger than 13 even though 510 does make my size. It says so on their website!!! WTF??
I picked up my first pair of size 14 5/10s this year.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 23:25 Quote
knightridersix04 wrote:
brassinne wrote:
Lucky f*ckers! 6'9 size 16 I've written so many companies about it.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 23:52 Quote
BurkeW wrote:
knightridersix04 wrote:
brassinne wrote:
Lucky f*ckers! 6'9 size 16 I've written so many companies about it.
I waited 7 years for size 14 haha

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026301
Mobile Version of Website