Loose Shimano Saint Cranks

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Loose Shimano Saint Cranks
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 12:48 Quote
So recently I have been having alot of play in my Shimano Saint Crankset. It's the FC-M800 with a single gear and an Ethirteen SRS chainguide. After reviewing the diagram on the shimano website (http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FC/EV-FC-M800-2277C_v1_m56577569830608895.pdf) I see part 15 (Y-1F3 16000) is a ring. Does that ring insert to seal the external portion of my BB or does it act like a spacer? I have tightened the crank arm fixing bolt as tight as I can but there is still play in the non drive side. This is before I have tightened the clamp bolts. If I tighten the clamp bolts the movement in the crank stops but it eventually comes loose again. Have I lost a spacer somewhere along the line? Any help would be much appreciated, I planned on going to do some riding but if this is a problem that would harm the cranks then I dont want to be riding on it. Thanks, Josh.

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 16:38 Quote
I removed my comment and I'll see if I can do some research.

Posted: Jul 31, 2010 at 16:31 Quote
Firstly, part 15 is a thin rubber seal that sits in an indentation - generally when you take the left crank off you will see it sitting snug in the crank. I've actually run a set of M800s without part 15 without problem.

Yesterday I wrote lots of stuff about spacing, but the fact that you say that there is no play but there is after a while intrigues me - it sort of means that spacing is not a problem. Maybe...

When you do the left hand crank up and there is no play, if you were then to hit the spindle from the drive side with the palm of your hand, would that induce play? IF the answer is 'yes', then spacing is your problem.

Posted: Aug 2, 2010 at 8:36 Quote
Okay so part 15 is a seal and not a spacer. Both the seals are there on both the drive and non drive side so this is good. Even when I have my left crank arm push right onto the BB and tightened up it comes loose again in just a matter of minutes. I took a rubber mallet and tapped the right side arm to see if any play could be removed from that space but it still didn't make a difference. I can grab my left arm and push it back and forth. Am I missing a spacer then?

Posted: Aug 2, 2010 at 20:32 Quote
What width is the BB shell and what spacers are you running - including BB-mounted bashguards?

If the spacing is correct, it sounds like there is something wrong with the crank/spindle interface or the pinchbolts are stripped or something like that.

Posted: Aug 2, 2010 at 20:39 Quote
The fact is that even if you were missing all the spacers and had an 83mm spindle on a 68mm BB shell, once the pinch bolts on the left crank are done up the left crank should be solid on the spindle. So we need to determine if the crank is moving on the spindle or the spindle is moving in the BB cups.

Perhaps you could do that - take both cranks off the bike and then tighten the left crank on to the spindle. That should show once and for all if it is the crank/spindle interface or if the pinchbolts suck. I reckon you could have the left crank hanging half off the spindle and it would still be rock solid if the interface and bolts were good.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv92 0.012499
Mobile Version of Website