8 speed hub with 9 speed cassette

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
8 speed hub with 9 speed cassette
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Aug 13, 2010 at 21:08 Quote
so i'm in for a new cassetee. the only problem i'm having is that i can't get a 11-26 ratio in an 8 speed cassette. i can get it in a 9 speed. whats the sizing of an 8 speed chain vs 9 speed.

Posted: Aug 13, 2010 at 21:25 Quote
william4269 wrote:
so i'm in for a new cassetee. the only problem i'm having is that i can't get a 11-26 ratio in an 8 speed cassette. i can get it in a 9 speed. whats the sizing of an 8 speed chain vs 9 speed.

hey bud, this question would be better suited in the quick question thread, although I respect you have made the thread in "mechanics lounge" you are more likely to get a quick and accurate response in quick question, sorry I couldn't answer you, and good luck Salute

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 at 16:37 Quote
do you mean will you need a 9 speed chain if you switch over to 9 speed? then the answer is yes.

or do you mean will a 9 speed cassette fit on a freehub body where an 8 speed once lived? the answer is also yes.

Posted: Aug 15, 2010 at 15:03 Quote
guerilladownhilla wrote:
do you mean will you need a 9 speed chain if you switch over to 9 speed? then the answer is yes.

or do you mean will a 9 speed cassette fit on a freehub body where an 8 speed once lived? the answer is also yes.

so you're telling me, i can put a 9 spd cassette where my current 8 spd one is.

Posted: Aug 15, 2010 at 15:12 Quote
Yes. 8 and 9 speed cassettes are interchangeable.

Posted: Aug 15, 2010 at 20:33 Quote
william4269 wrote:
guerilladownhilla wrote:
do you mean will you need a 9 speed chain if you switch over to 9 speed? then the answer is yes.

or do you mean will a 9 speed cassette fit on a freehub body where an 8 speed once lived? the answer is also yes.

so you're telling me, i can put a 9 spd cassette where my current 8 spd one is.

What they are not telling you is that your 8 speed shifter won't really work with your new 9 speed casette. It will be ridable, but the chain will skip around and the bike will generally be unpleasant to ride. So if you are going to go to a 9 speed casette, you should also factor in a 9 speed shifter as well

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.013446
Mobile Version of Website