1x9 for trail bikes

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 16, 2010 at 22:13 Quote
I'm converting my 09 Scott Genius that I use for tail/AM to a 32T 1x9. I ride pretty technical trails and sometimes hit my big ring on logs or roots and sometimes rocks but very rarely at high speeds. I'm thinking of either running the e13 LG1+ or the e13 XCX but neither are really marketed for trail bikes. Does anyone know why e13 markets the LG1+ for DH bikes and the LS1+ for AM bikes though the LG1+ is lighter? Has anyone ran any of these on a trail/AM bike? Does anyone have any better ideas?

Posted: Aug 16, 2010 at 22:20 Quote
go for it. the difference is the ls1+ doesn't have a built in bash guard and the lg1+ does. They figure trail bikes don't need bash guards but dh bikes do. I would get a mrp 1.x because it is lighter than the e13ls1+ and has less friction due to it lacking a lower roller. If you are not dropping your chain with a front dérailleur setup then you don't need the lower roller.

Posted: Aug 17, 2010 at 0:06 Quote
jweinstein wrote:
go for it. the difference is the ls1+ doesn't have a built in bash guard and the lg1+ does. They figure trail bikes don't need bash guards but dh bikes do. I would get a mrp 1.x because it is lighter than the e13ls1+ and has less friction due to it lacking a lower roller. If you are not dropping your chain with a front dérailleur setup then you don't need the lower roller.

I didn't realize the LS1+ didn't come standard with a bash guard but I re-checked e13's website and it seams that you can get one for it so I'm still not sure why they are marketed differently.
The MRP 1.X is more comparable to the e13 XCX and they have similar weights (I like the e13 better for the styling but if one or the other could mount to a direct mount derailleur mount rather than a BB mount, I would be sold quickly).
The e13 LG1+ is comparable to the MRP Mini-G (again, I'm leaning towards the e13 - lighter weight and I like the styling better).
I guess the main thing that I'm worried about is if a bash guard is necessary for low speed impacts (mostly just enough to scratch the teeth on my big ring) and if the LG1+ (or Mini-G) are overkill for a trail bike. I'm not really worried about dropping my chain as I don't often now (though I would be pretty miserable if I suddenly started losing my chain - is that common for the XCX or 1.X on a trail/AM bike?). Lastly, I would like to keep the crank arms I have now (SLX triple) if at all possible.

Posted: Aug 17, 2010 at 1:50 Quote
1 by 9 is a great idea. I plan to convert my xc bike to 1 by 10 when I have the money but if I were you I'd be careful about using an xcx because they aren't designed for all mountain use. However, if you do chose to use that kind of guide then I would recomend using superstar's xcr guide since it's only £17 and the only difference is that the xcr is about 14 grams heavier. Superstar also make good complete guides with bottom rollers too.

Posted: Aug 17, 2010 at 7:06 Quote
fitztek wrote:

The original LS1 was not bashguard compatible. The LS1+ has a special interface for the DirectMount bash. MSRP on the guide with bashguard is $90, and we offer a bashguard-less version for people who run 4x or don't need a bashguard.

Of course, if you don't need a bashguard at all and weight is a concern, then the XCX works quite well. Depending on your riding style and the trails you ride on, the XCX can also work for AM type stuff, but you would want to avoid those rock rollovers.

The LG1+ and LS1+ both work well for DH racing as well as AM/XC and everything in between.

Posted: Aug 17, 2010 at 18:31 Quote
philw86 wrote:
fitztek wrote:

The original LS1 was not bashguard compatible. The LS1+ has a special interface for the DirectMount bash. MSRP on the guide with bashguard is $90, and we offer a bashguard-less version for people who run 4x or don't need a bashguard.

Of course, if you don't need a bashguard at all and weight is a concern, then the XCX works quite well. Depending on your riding style and the trails you ride on, the XCX can also work for AM type stuff, but you would want to avoid those rock rollovers.

The LG1+ and LS1+ both work well for DH racing as well as AM/XC and everything in between.
I forgot about the xcx. I would get it over the other options. e13 designs and makes solid products.

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 at 5:18 Quote
I don't know what you are going to end up choosing. I myself went with the mrp 1.x, but I only ride xc. I can however recommend you run a 34-36t chain ring. since you are riding both xc and am, wouldn't it be better for you to run a 2x9 set up?

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 8:17 Quote
lostinsolitarythought wrote:
I don't know what you are going to end up choosing. I myself went with the mrp 1.x, but I only ride xc. I can however recommend you run a 34-36t chain ring. since you are riding both xc and am, wouldn't it be better for you to run a 2x9 set up?
what chain ring size are you using Lostinsolitarythough?
Cheers Seb

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 8:42 Quote
Singlespeed-Seb wrote:
lostinsolitarythought wrote:
what chain ring size are you using Lostinsolitarythough?
Cheers Seb

right now I'm using a 34 tooth chain ring.

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 9:33 Quote
I am running an 11-32 cassette and a 32 sprocket right now but will be swapping to the 11-36 cassette from sram (if it works with my current xo derailer) and a 34-36 sprocket up front. I ride an sx trail for tails and do push on occasion (I'm a bit over weight), but the set up works really well for me. 1x9 or 1x10 is the way to go!

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 9:45 Quote
Im running a 11-28 9sp with a 36t ring up front on my pitch. The only time i wish i had a different set up would be on longer climbs and having a 11-32 instead. Makes descending and rough stuff so much easier and efficient having a guide up front

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 13:12 Quote
I'm gonna run a 36t chainring with an 11-36t 10 speed cassette, you get a good range of gears then.

Posted: Jan 22, 2011 at 16:28 Quote
y brothers has a kona and we have it to a 1 by 9 but the chain on keeps falling off on the front we have a chan guide for the bottom do we need one for the top also. please help

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.018651
Mobile Version of Website