Broken sprockets?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Broken sprockets?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 30, 2010 at 22:22 Quote
I have looked all around the forum and I haven't found one explanation from someone
who has broken a front sprocket. I have been riding pretty hard and mine has been holding up very well. I am just wondering what kind of crazy shit people do to brake a sprocket. Very confused

Posted: Aug 30, 2010 at 22:46 Quote
Once upon a time in the 90's, I had a loose chainring bolt on my 24" bmx and when I cranked out of a berm the chainring bent over and the chain wouldn't stay on. Also a long time ago, when bmx bikes had 44 tooth sprockets they would bend when they hit the coping or a bench when going for grinds, etc

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 at 10:26 Quote
i recently bent my 34t sprocket on my jump bike when i was bored at the local park and decided trials was possible with a big chainring, it now resides in the back of my shed full of dents after i tried straightening it out with the trusty hammer-rock on 28t!!!

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 at 10:38 Quote
I broke my Animal sprocket with a whip.

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 at 11:01 Quote
Mate of mine snapped a Kink sprocket just pedalling a few days ago. just long term stress i guess.

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 at 15:31 Quote
Hahahaha thanks for the stories. I had no idea you could do that by just pedaling, and I dont ride anything more than 30t. I guess it isnt that uncommon afterall.

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 at 15:49 Quote
mine snaped where the bolt is when I tried to ride up a big bank. It was an eastern.

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 at 15:55 Quote
Guess it's just what comes with companys machining stuff to within an inch of its life to make it light enough for kids to want it.
Or, if it's made by Eastern it never had a hope in hell to begin with...

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 at 16:16 Quote
for me the front small ring sporket broke well it like snap ...

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 at 16:41 Quote
connor-H wrote:
Mate of mine snapped a Kink sprocket just pedalling a few days ago. just long term stress i guess.
Was it the kink sound? because i cracked a kink sound in a couple of different places.

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 5:21 Quote
charge-rider wrote:
Guess it's just what comes with companys machining stuff to within an inch of its life to make it light enough for kids to want it.

thats why i buy heavier parts for my bike-they are usually stronger and you get a more fun workout than at any gym because of the extra weight Razz

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 6:34 Quote
carrerablastrider wrote:
charge-rider wrote:

thats why i buy heavier parts for my bike-they are usually stronger and you get a more fun workout than at any gym because of the extra weight Razz
There isn't anything wrong with buying light parts aslong as the company producing them actually makes them well.

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 16:50 Quote
djrider123 wrote:
connor-H wrote:
Was it the kink sound? because i cracked a kink sound in a couple of different places.

Not sure, twas the one that is basially made of four spokes and the rest hollowed out. Ano blue .

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 16:56 Quote
I've bent a few... I go through one every 3-4 months before its too bent to ride.

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 17:08 Quote
dkidd wrote:
I've bent a few... I go through one every 3-4 months before its too bent to ride.

Im still rocking the same haggard dmr spin as before, except now it takes the abuse of constant grinds and its only missing 1 and a half teeth. Salute

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011820
Mobile Version of Website