What marzocchi fork are you running and rate it

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What marzocchi fork are you running and rate it
Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 14:30 Quote
If you cut a spring it will become stiffer.

You should consider starting going to a gym to put on some mass on your body. Some of my motivation was actually that my fork was a little firm for me hah. I weighed 60 kg and after just a couple of months of training and drinking gainers I weigh 70 kg and the added muscles is really good for downhill riding as well. Maybe a bit off topic but I really recommend it! Then your fork will be perfect as well Big Grin

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 1:29 Quote
staike wrote:

If it's a progressive spring it will, if it's a regular spring, the compression rate will be the same as the number of coils stays relative to the overall length of the spring. Hence why lowering forks and cutting the spring at the same time doesn't result in super firm short forks.

But I do agree on the bulk up thing, I've found my ridings improved tenfold once I put the effort in and joined a gym and bulked up as my bike now feels lighter and easier to manoeuvre/manhandle

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 2:29 Quote
staike wrote:

You should consider starting going to a gym to put on some mass on your body. Some of my motivation was actually that my fork was a little firm for me hah. I weighed 60 kg and after just a couple of months of training and drinking gainers I weigh 70 kg and the added muscles is really good for downhill riding as well. Maybe a bit off topic but I really recommend it! Then your fork will be perfect as well Big Grin

Don´t worry, i´already use a lot of time working out, not to gaine weight but simply to become stronger. Before i got a knee injury i actually played football on elite level, and i my club we had Physiotherapist following us individually to make sure we were in in mint condition physically.
I´m just always just have been a really small guy, and that does´nt mean i´m not strong, or don´t eat enough, thats just my body type Smile Don´t worry, i´m already spending a lot of time eating good food and training.

But back to topic Smile How much stiffer will it become? I can see that Marzocchi says on their website that their new 350 NCR Ti wil have the same axle to crown lenght as a 26 inch fork, plus it only has 160mm of travel (mine has 170mm), so it wont be such a big difference, right?

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 2:49 Quote
If it's only 10 mm difference you would be able to squeeze it in without cutting it, no problems. I fitted a 180mm spring in a 160 fork a while ago, it was a little bit hard to get the top cap on, but it worked.

But it will feel stiffer even if it's a normal linear spring? Think of it this way: You have one spring and when you compress it it will compress 1 cm. Then if you put one more identical spring on top of it and compress them at the same time, they will compress 2 cm.

It won't be twice as stiff or anything if you have to shave a couple of cm of a spring from a 350 fork. But it would if you cut a 888 spring in half.

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 3:08 Quote
staike wrote:
If it's only 10 mm difference you would be able to squeeze it in without cutting it, no problems. I fitted a 180mm spring in a 160 fork a while ago, it was a little bit hard to get the top cap on, but it worked.

But it will feel stiffer even if it's a normal linear spring? Think of it this way: You have one spring and when you compress it it will compress 1 cm. Then if you put one more identical spring on top of it and compress them at the same time, they will compress 2 cm.

It won't be twice as stiff or anything if you have to shave a couple of cm of a spring from a 350 fork. But it would if you cut a 888 spring in half.

Sounds fine. Now the only problem is that i can´t find out exactly how soft their "soft" spring is, neither where to buy it Confused

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 4:00 Quote
I rather choose lighter oil first instead of changing coil. I switched my stocked oil with 5wt oil and it makes a noticeable different.

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 4:18 Quote
manachim wrote:
I rather choose lighter oil first instead of changing coil. I switched my stocked oil with 5wt oil and it makes a noticeable different.

Maybe it will, but because of the hard coil it limits some others ways of tuning the fork. For example, i run 0 psi in the air chamber, and very litlle, cauz otherwise it´s way to stiff. it would be nice if i could get more sag, and make it less progressive by runing a softer coil and more air in the air chamber. I will probablyask a service center to change to lighter oil anyway, but it will probably not affect the last 40mm of travel anyway, just make it bit plusher.

Posted: Oct 4, 2014 at 11:00 Quote
I never use air preload on my 66rc3ti too.
it will make the fork too spiky.
I am 85kg btw.

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 19:25 Quote
you want the spring to be the main force acting upon and working with preload I.E. it is the biggest constant mechanical thing and having the right sag from the Spring is what you want for your weight, you can do fine tuning with oil and in some cases you may get lucky and lighter weight may work but usually having a oil weight that is lighter just ends with you still over sprung and different dampening characteristics unfamiliar to you.

you would rather be under sprung than over sprung especially if there is an air side, THAT is where you should fine tune your sag, not the oil whos primary function is to deal with dampening and rebound circuits.

Salute

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 23:07 Quote
dmadness wrote:
you want the spring to be the main force acting upon and working with preload I.E. it is the biggest constant mechanical thing and having the right sag from the Spring is what you want for your weight, you can do fine tuning with oil and in some cases you may get lucky and lighter weight may work but usually having a oil weight that is lighter just ends with you still over sprung and different dampening characteristics unfamiliar to you.

you would rather be under sprung than over sprung especially if there is an air side, THAT is where you should fine tune your sag, not the oil whos primary function is to deal with dampening and rebound circuits.

Salute

Exactly, right now the problem just is that marzochi only made one spring for the 55, and its to stiff for me. Talked to marzocchi about the problem, but they said the 350 Ti spring is to short for the 55, but if i wanted more travel i could take 10ml of the oil outConfused Pretty frustrating. It could have been a smart move from marzocchi to make the 350 springs the same lenght s the 55 spring, as i know a lot people finds the 55 either to soft or to stiff for them.

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 3:37 Quote
Also one thing you can do which I did to my 888 when I was lighter is setting negative pressure on the damper side. You undo both topcaps on the fork and compress the fork down (bottoming it out), then you tighten down the damper side topcap. Then you pull the fork up and tighten the spring side topcap, this might be easier with a friend helping you because of the negative pressure pulling the fork down.

This will make the fork a little softer. But pressure will build up in the fork over time so you have to do it again every few weeks.

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 1:47 Quote
anyone here running 350 NCR with remote?

I just got mine. the very first ride it already has a loud noise to it. everytime when mine comes up, it has this SUPER loud suction sound. like a overgrown kid sucking up his snoot or something. swoosst. if you know what I mean.

is this normal? is there anything I can do about it as it's really as loud as an adult sucking up his snoot or like some mountain china person sucking up his noodle as he eats.

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 1:53 Quote
andywee wrote:
anyone here running 350 NCR with remote?

I just got mine. the very first ride it already has a loud noise to it. everytime when mine comes up, it has this SUPER loud suction sound. like a overgrown kid sucking up his snoot or something. swoosst. if you know what I mean.

is this normal? is there anything I can do about it .

+1

"as it's really as loud as an adult sucking up his snoot or like some mountain china person sucking up his noodle as he eats"

that should be dampening noise, right? so somthing with oil and maybe the cart?

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 2:04 Quote
yeah, it's the dampening sound. but not sure if its due to low oil (brand new fork) or defect.
it's so loud that during the ride, my contour on my helmet can actually record the dampening sound when i'm charging downhill.

just weighing and unweighing when not really riding, the sound happens only when you unload/unweigh.

but when riding, during compression, it makes this blowoff sound like a turbo, then sucks it up like a kid. LOL.

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 2:48 Quote
The sucking sound is pretty common on most all marzocchi forks. I've been stripping and building em for years and not too sure what causes it, it's just a marzocchi thing.

Granted with a little bit more riding it'll get a bit quieter but probably never silent, you will slowly tune it out though so won't even notice it before long.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035924
Mobile Version of Website