Valves ripping off inner tube?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Valves ripping off inner tube?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 11, 2010 at 3:13 Quote
Hi all, I had to walk home 5 and a half miles yesterday because the (presta) valve ripped off my inner tube. I wouldn't be too annoyed, but this is the fourth to have ripped in the same way this summer.

I read somewhere that it's caused by the tyre slipping on the rim, bringing the tube with it which causes the valve to rip. One solution was 'don't tighten the nut on the valve to the rim' and this was working until today. However, after fixing a puncture I tightened the nut up to pump back up and left it as it was- two minutes later the valve ripped off.

Do I need a new wheel/what should I do? Has anyone else had this problem?

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 at 3:48 Quote
If you aren't already...

You could try rubber rim strip that means the tube will stick better to the rim.

You could also try putting lots of talc inside the tire so that the tire doesn't grip to the tube. I run enough talc so that when the tire is off and the tube is inside the tire and inflated, I can spin the tube inside the tire.

This can also be caused by too little pressure, but generally if you aren't rooling the tire off the rim and getting pinch flats, that the ideal pressure.

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 at 4:02 Quote
By chance, are you running a presta valve in a wheel drilled for a schrader valve? This will cause the presta valve to sheer/tear off like you mentioned you are having. You will need an rubber insert to resolve that issue. Pick it up at your LBS.

If not that, change the tubes. Some tubes just plain a** suck, though this may not be the case with you. I have been running on Panaracer SuperTube's for years and have no issues with them. Strong durable thick tubes that are still light. Talc powder is also good, but also check your wheel for burs at the point of the drilled hole and make sure that you have a good cloth liner on your rim if you don't now.

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 at 4:14 Quote
Cheers for the quick reply guys, think I know what I have to do.

I'll go out and buy some talc, the logic behind it seems pretty sound, thanks for the suggestion.

Second up, whilst I don't have any burs and the hole is the right size, I now think I'm running the wrong kind of inner tubes. I've been using tubes rated as 1.7-2.4 and my tyres are 2.4. This was fine in my XC bike with 2.2's, but I think I'm going to give some 2.5-2.7's a go. Does that seem like a good idea?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5418

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 at 4:35 Quote
Aaah, dunno. I've run thinner tubes than that in fatter tyres than that without having that problem - mind you I've always run talc.

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 at 4:35 Quote
Gerolemonster wrote:
Second up, whilst I don't have any burs and the hole is the right size, I now think I'm running the wrong kind of inner tubes. I've been using tubes rated as 1.7-2.4 and my tyres are 2.4. This was fine in my XC bike with 2.2's, but I think I'm going to give some 2.5-2.7's a go. Does that seem like a good idea?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5418
Man are those Maxxis tubes heavy. Here is a link to those Panaracer SuperTubes I mentioned.....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1470

They are the same thickness, a far better size range for your tire (2.1 to 2.5), and are much lighter. I DH, FR, Urban Assault, and huck off big ledge drops with these tubes and they have always held up and never had no pinch flats or blow outs. No issues with the valves either. Oh, and cheaper as well. Anyways, good luck mate! Beer

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 at 4:52 Quote
Okay mate, you've sold me, I'll give the panaracers a go, along with the talc

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. Cheaper than a new wheel as well Big Grin

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.017374
Mobile Version of Website