How serious can I get using a Trek 830?

PB Forum :: Beginners
How serious can I get using a Trek 830?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 8, 2010 at 20:29 Quote
I just made some new friends who are into mountain biking and by coincidence also have a Trek 830 that needs some love to put it back on the trail.

What I'm wondering is how much money I should put into it and if I should change any of the main components? I'll probably not get very serious, but I'd still like to be able to go on rides with them on at least the basic trails without too many crash & burns!

Posted: Nov 12, 2010 at 13:56 Quote
I started out a year ago with a Trek 4500. I have invested in a new set of wheels, disc brakes, stem, pedals, etc...and am on the verge of getting a new fork. I don't mind pouring money into quality components because the geometry of the 4500 fits me like a glove. I will probably always keep it as my go to hard-tail for trails. So, I'd say some quality components are a good investment (though you might not see a return on anything if you sell the bike unless you part it out) as long as you plan on riding the bike and getting your money's worth.

Posted: Nov 12, 2010 at 15:43 Quote
I'd say a decent fork and good drivetrain will be good investments if you plan on riding semi-regularly (though I don't know what already comes on an 830). And I'd upgrade the brakes

Posted: Nov 27, 2010 at 4:18 Quote
I gave up on getting any responses and haven't checked in here in a while. Thanks for the input but I guess now that it's snowmobile season that I won't be doing anything with the bike until spring now. I guess I'll go through it and make sure everything is working as it should, then think hard about getting something that comes stock with disc brakes.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010240
Mobile Version of Website