Pull up or push down bars on transition of lip?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Pull up or push down bars on transition of lip?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 19, 2013 at 11:05 Quote
So it also depends on the ramp if it is too steep or to flat? another question cmc. How do you do the arc when jumping? nose first of a big doubles?

Posted: Jul 20, 2013 at 12:33 Quote
riotron wrote:
So it also depends on the ramp if it is too steep or to flat? another question cmc. How do you do the arc when jumping? nose first of a big doubles?

Hmmm, I guess my point was that with flat banks like ditches, to get air you are mainly doing a normal bunnyhop like you would on flat ground.

Check out these guys doing tricks at a ditch contest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfLjJbFA_o8

But with a transitioned launch like in dirt jumping, the jump is doing part of the work for you. You don't just ride to the top and bunnyhop. You use the whole jump to compress your legs/body and you boost out of the transition.

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 at 3:25 Quote
read this and watched Loadsa other stuff years ago and still cant jump on my bike wtf

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 at 16:28 Quote
Can you bunny hop? How much do you actually ride jumps?

First off, you need to jump a lot to get comfortable enough to pop off any jump but the long and short of it is... it's a bunny hop if you want to get higher. For one, a properly built lip should not need much pop to get air. If you need to bunny hop (literally) off a lip it's too mellow, a lip should sent you nicely into the air on a nice arc to the landing. You should be able to roll off the lip at the proper speed and not pull up at all and still land smoothly. The landing should be steep enough that you don't jar yourself when you land.

When you want to pop off a jump your bike becomes a lever. As your front wheel leaves the lip you pull on the bars which means you push on the pedals. You can't do one without the other. When you pull the bars and push on the pedals that force is transferred to the rear wheel that pushes on the lip and pushes you (with the speed and angle of the lip you are going off) into the air. It should for the most part be a subtle thing, most jumps don't need a full on bunny hop. That is also why it's very difficult if you don't ride every day. If you ride everyday and jump all the time you probably haven't even thought of this. If you don't ride much, pulling evenly can be hard and pulling unevenly leads to dead sailors or crashing.

A nicely built jump and just a little pull on the bars off the lip should give a good bit of boost. The biggest thing IMO is a nice lip.

Posted: Oct 27, 2015 at 20:03 Quote
Go find one of those ditches with a parking block at the lip. So fun to boost of those

Posted: Oct 30, 2015 at 9:56 Quote
i ride as much as i can. im Not too bad on my 26" But thats mainly cause of having the suspension up front if i come short.

its just on 20" it scares the life out of me haha.

hops and 360s ect flat are high. it just when i pick up speed on bmx track and try a jump i can do on my 26. it feels impossible on 20. maybe its just practice and need some balls haha.

Posted: Oct 30, 2015 at 19:25 Quote
Bigger wheels are easier to jump simple as that. Look at Colin Winkleman's distance jump on a 20" and compare it to whatever his name is on the fully. Sure he beat Colin, but put the guy on a 20" and I bet he wouldn't jump a curb. Same for Jim Cielinski, he said in an interview it's much easier to go from the 20" to the 24" than it is to go back to the 20". Bigger wheels are more stable in the air.

Posted: Nov 7, 2015 at 22:48 Quote
A thread revival. ;-) OP here from 5 years ago. After spending a week at Whistler sometime after this post, I rode enough jumps to really pay attention to the dynamics of what happens in a jump and have since answered my own question. I learned that I was too absorbent in the transition of the jump, and needed to stay more resistant through the transition of the jump. I learned to push down with my arms and legs through the transition of the jump, and it made the world of a difference in getting more height. So basically I started crouching on the approach so that I could push down with my arms and legs on the transition, and then when leaving the lip your arms and legs should be mostly extended and at that point you can bend your arms and legs again in the air which will bring the bike into you.

That's what worked for me, but that's one of those feel things that I guess you get it once you start doing it. Figured I'd take the time to describe what worked for me, though, if it helps anyone else.

Posted: Nov 8, 2015 at 8:36 Quote
If you look at the video of the Olympic BMX racing you can see the guys doing exactly what you described in the first scenario. They absorb the lips big time to not get air over the jumps, it really is quite a skill to do it effectively but it does kill any height.

Posted: Nov 8, 2015 at 14:51 Quote
stevehollx wrote:
. . . After spending a week at Whistler sometime after this post, I rode enough jumps to really pay attention to the dynamics of what happens in a jump and have since answered my own question. I learned that I was too absorbent in the transition of the jump, . . . .

Were you on a full-sus DH bike? Because those will definitely sink into the face of a jump, if you don't "pre-load" the suspension.....

Posted: May 14, 2016 at 4:07 Quote
Phil Kmetz has a really useful graphic in one of his videos about this: https://youtu.be/OzsoQTSFfIk?t=1m14s

photo

O+
Posted: May 14, 2016 at 21:00 Quote
Gmbn has a good video on YouTube explaining it, you should look it up!

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 12:36 Quote
MTB Fundamentals -- check out this part
https://youtu.be/BZdz9MdeQDM?t=231

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020026
Mobile Version of Website