Mondraker Summum

PB Forum :: Downhill
Mondraker Summum
Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 4:19 Quote
Well to be honest in my SX Trail I check bolts every couple of months and they are tight. I've heard that in Summums some people have to check them every weekend, and that is a little worry for me.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 4:31 Quote
i've got a 2014 summum , never dropped any bolts , check them once a month , one came loose but that was it , otherwise no reported problems , bikes awesome !!

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 4:41 Quote
In 2014 those bolts were improved and instead of two little bolts they placed one long bolt instead I've heard Smile . The problem occurs in 2010,2011,2012,2013 models.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 4:42 Quote
Thamo wrote:
Well to be honest in my SX Trail I check bolts every couple of months and they are tight. I've heard that in Summums some people have to check them every weekend, and that is a little worry for me.

I had a 2010 summum and there were 2 bolts I had to tighten every time I rode. The action of the suspension unscrewed them. a LH thread would have solved it. Having had issues with the soft Alumn bolts rounding I didn't like to Loctite it...

I think the newer ones are better quality bolts so you can get away with Loctite but it got to the point where I sold the bike because of it and the bearings not lasting and needing changing way too often.

The bike rode really well and I loved it but it was a pain in the ass.

I now have a Demo, not had to touch it in a year of racing and riding including a British winter of uplifting and pressure washing. The Demo doesn't ride as well as the Summum IMO but it's an easier bike to live with.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 5:05 Quote
I've got a 2013 Summum. I check the bolts maybe once a month, and I've never had one come loose. I've done this on every bike I've ever owned, not just the Mondy.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 5:27 Quote
Simple, stick a Ti bolt in there with no prep anti seize, I'm sure that wont undo itself Wink

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 11:09 Quote
My 2011 and 2012 frames suffered from the problem, particularly the bolt behind the chainguide's backplate (which is annoyingly the one that takes the most fiddling to tighten)

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 17:14 Quote
I heard about that problem, but I had totally another one. When I decided to change bearings, I could not unscrew any bolt. I had to grind soldering iron to a shape of hex wrench, inset in in every bolt and heat it to destroy loctite and unscrew. It took me 2 days do disassemble it. After all procedures, at assembling, I added 2 drops of blue thread locker on every bolt. After a season everything is on it's place and not loosened. Summum 2012 pro team

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 0:07 Quote
nhp890 wrote:
My 2011 and 2012 frames suffered from the problem, particularly the bolt behind the chainguide's backplate (which is annoyingly the one that takes the most fiddling to tighten)

Yeh, that was the worst one!

I also had the problem of all bolts seizing in. I put a Torx bit in an impact driver and it pulled them all out ok but ruined the bolts. The worst one was the longer lower pivot bolt from memory and Mondraker had bought out a steel replacement by then so I upgraded.
I also replaced the shock bolts with stainless shoulder bolts.

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 16:56 Quote
My Summum and Foxy suffered these issues. Why oh why did they design the linkage with such daft hardware? Awesome bikes though.

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 13:06 Quote
Does someone have any experience with the BOS Idylle DC in combination with the Summum ? Smile

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 13:32 Quote
I read this morning on the mondy website that youre meant to run 40% sag on your shock and 'similar' on the fork? :S

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 13:42 Quote
Yeah I heard that too. I run about 20% on each end and it feels just right. 40% just feels sloppy.

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 at 5:22 Quote
Nhp890 You wrote that you've changed shock from RC4 to Vivid R2C. Are you happy with it ? Can you please describe the differences between these two shocks on Summum ?

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 at 11:13 Quote
I went from an RC4 to a CCDB to a Vivid R2C. The Vivid feels more planted, not as playful. The adjustment range is narrower, but the sensitivity is a bit better. I prefer the Vivid, because I generally prefer firmer and slower suspension. All of the shocks I owned would be a good choice. Just choose the spring rate correctly and you'll be good with any of these.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.142777
Mobile Version of Website