HELP! my cranks wont come off

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
HELP! my cranks wont come off
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 15, 2011 at 15:40 Quote
i bought a park tools crank extractor and i have SR Duro-S, Octalink, 32/22 w/ PC Guard cranks and every time i ry to remove te drive train side crank the extractor is stripping the threads i have removed theoter side crank with ease and i dont know what to do are my cranks 2 peice or 3 piece i dont have enough money for new cranks so that doesnt help.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 2:49 Quote
ok ill try to do that today

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 3:31 Quote
If its octalink then are you using the correct crank extractor? If you are using the one for standard square taper (which is a smaller axle) then the tool will just go inside the octalink axle and yes strip the thread. You either need the octalink crank extractor or an insert to place into the larger octalink axle so that the smaller crank extractor has something to push against.

If however you have already ruined the threads in the arms then now a crank extractor is useless anyways. In this case the best way to get them off now is with a car ball joint extractor. (a wedge shape tool with a gap in the middle kinda like a fork) which you bang in up against the bottom bracket and as the wedge works its way down off comes the crank. Sometimes however this can unfortunately damage the B/b.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 12:28 Quote
problem solved i used a hacksaw to cut off my chainring cos a bolt sheared
btw it was the one recommended by my lbs tup

Posted: Jun 19, 2011 at 21:28 Quote
can i buy those cranks

Posted: Jun 19, 2011 at 21:29 Quote
Can't tell if troll or just very stupid.

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 14:09 Quote
they're still not coming off so no they are not for sale by the way does anyone know what bearings go into a formula rear hub off the giant brass 2 2011 as my lbs lost some during a service and never told m they are useless thank god i dont use them anymore and the other bke shop i now use doesnt know and i have been compensated but i need to know so i can order some as i want to ride my bike!! its my transportBig Grin

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 20:13 Quote
LiamMortlock wrote:
they're still not coming off so no they are not for sale by the way does anyone know what bearings go into a formula rear hub off the giant brass 2 2011 as my lbs lost some during a service and never told m they are useless thank god i dont use them anymore and the other bke shop i now use doesnt know and i have been compensated but i need to know so i can order some as i want to ride my bike!! its my transportBig Grin

Go to the website for formula hubs and look it up. I know a lot of formula hubs come with sealed cartridge bearings, if it is loose ball find the bearing size go to the hardware store pick up the same size and get some black grease the thick stuff put some in your hub and pack in the bearings until it is full to both sides, adjust the cones so it is tight but can still spin freely, if it binds there is too many bearings if it won't become tight your are missing some. Enjoy your first hub overall

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 at 13:32 Quote
ok thanks ill have a look

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 at 13:39 Quote
by any chance was your lbs you were using halfords? call Evans for baring and i would get your lbs to remove your cranks because you will mess them up easily if you do them wrong.

Posted: Jun 24, 2011 at 15:11 Quote
freeridemanic wrote:
by any chance was your lbs you were using halfords? call Evans for baring and i would get your lbs to remove your cranks because you will mess them up easily if you do them wrong.
no it was an independent company who had inexperienced staff i only used them because they were literally 8 mins ride from my house but now i need a train to the bike shop i now use and ok ill give evans cycles a call

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv88 0.013931
Mobile Version of Website