All you Orange riders get in here!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
All you Orange riders get in here!
Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 7:29 Quote
Could be a 2012, last version to have QR dropouts.

You can compare pictures with the Archives from the Orange Website (if only all the manufacturers could have such archives ...) :
http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/archive/2012/five_s/

(and change the 2012 in the URL)

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 7:32 Quote
The Frame you see advertised is also on the Flatout Cycles website. They are members on PB so could just send them a PM to find out full details. I've noticed on all their frames for sale that they never put the year

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 7:59 Quote
jamesyb1991 wrote:
Only had 8 months use from the bearings in my alpine 160. I may have a word with Orange to get some spares. Luckily I had some in the toolbox from my covert which got through them like mad. Did you contact orange directly or through your dealer?
direct mate, its mark in warranty that you need to speak to. great bloke and helped me out twice now.

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 10:48 Quote
Not sure what I should think about this test

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Orange/Alpine-160-RS,15576#product-reviews/2024

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 11:03 Quote
ZeroFighter wrote:
Not sure what I should think about this test

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Orange/Alpine-160-RS,15576#product-reviews/2024

ally, one might argue that the 6061-T6 monocoque/Reynolds custom butted aluminum frame is a little stuck in its glory days with the basic design and bulky rear swing arm, but there's certainly something good to be said for simplicity and the reliable traits that can result. Surprisingly, though, a visual inspection of the welds raised a few eyebrows with many bead inconsistencies along the downtube.

thats the classic orange design, dont like it, go buy something else. the welds, pahahah orange have some of the best welders in the world.

There's no water bottle mount, so plan to figure out an alternate hydration transportation method.

Camelbak, used by 99% of people who buy this type of bike. waterbottles are rarely used in this type of riding.

The only real concern lies in the 40-tooth cog upgrade. With excessive chain slap and maxed out adjustments, the potential for wear in the drivetrain area increases significantly.

thats about parts not the frame, did you forget to turn the clutch on, mines fine on the 40t, no chain slap at all.

Given our experience, we think the Alpine 160 RS is best for riders who prefer the playful feel of a quick and snappy rear end paired with the stability offered by a lengthy front center

that is what its designed for ...

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 11:41 Quote
In my opinion, it is stupid to use a Zee with a 40t cog. The stock Zee barely has enough slack on the cage to cope with an 11-36, so to use it on a bike with a rather large chain growth, and a 40t cog is just stupid.

As for the water bottle mounts, don't ask me why but the Americans do love their water bottles ... and fany packs ... I don't even know 1 rider to run a water bottle on his bike ...

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 11:43 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
In my opinion, it is stupid to use a Zee with a 40t cog. The stock Zee barely has enough slack on the cage to cope with an 11-36, so to use it on a bike with a rather large chain growth, and a 40t cog is just stupid.

As for the water bottle mounts, don't ask me why but the Americans do love their water bottles ... and fany packs ... I don't even know 1 rider to run a water bottle on his bike ...

the xt on my bike works perfect, can see why the zee doesnt.

waterbottles on mtbs is a no go imo!

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 11:50 Quote
The XT has a medium to long cage. That alone does help a lot with the slack the cage can take up. Another thing is that on its "resting" position, the Zee doesn't wrap as much as the XT.

So the problem I had once was that on the biggest cog, the Zee was pretty extended (but not too much, kept a few spare links), and on the 11t cog, the chain was actually slack. It's kind of a design flow you have on both the Zee and Saint derailleurs ... but as they are designed for DH use, where you rarely see cassettes with a bigger cog than 25 or 28, it's usually not a problem.

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 12:09 Quote
Ploutre wrote:

I don't use my bottle cage often, only if I'm going for a quick local spin that isn't long/far enough from the home or car to warrant a Camelbak + tools. On those rides it's nice to be bag-free for a change. Smile

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 12:16 Quote
i tend to run a carry bag at the junction of the seat tube and the top tube with a tube, multitool, pump and a snack and then i tend to ride with a small camel back (1.5l) if it is a long ride (day rides at trailcentres and long weekends) and if not i put a bottle cage on and i am still bag free for the short rides (local ones10-40km) 2 cents Smile

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 12:41 Quote
bearings fitted, was nice and easy to do. the others were well and truly knackered so ready for the weekend now.

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 12:46 Quote
danbillam wrote:
bearings fitted, was nice and easy to do. the others were well and truly knackered so ready for the weekend now.
changed mine few weeks back so easy .the old ones wer really bad wouldn't even turn .i was concered they may have been turning on the pivet wearing it away as the new ones didn't fit as tight but after first ride all is well and feels way better

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 12:59 Quote
had the same feeling mate. one side I could nearly get out pushing with my finger.

Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 13:01 Quote
ive got a reverb on at the minute and going to go for the stealth option. im leaning towards a Thomson covert at the minute. any experience with them? cant be arsed with the hassle of reverbs.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2015 at 13:04 Quote
yeah just as good as a reverb just cable and not as aesthetically pleasing on some bikes Razz

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013128
Mobile Version of Website