All you Orange riders get in here!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
All you Orange riders get in here!
Posted: Oct 22, 2015 at 17:22 Quote
mars-bar-man wrote:
I really miss the feel of an Orange.. I'm half temtped to sell my Knolly frame and get an Alpine :/

How do the Knolly and the Orange compare ? I'm thinking of getting a Knolly as my next bike

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2015 at 10:51 Quote
B0B94 wrote:
mars-bar-man wrote:
I really miss the feel of an Orange.. I'm half temtped to sell my Knolly frame and get an Alpine :/

How do the Knolly and the Orange compare ? I'm thinking of getting a Knolly as my next bike

Quite different I've found, both unique. The Knolly I've found I have to ride it flat out to really get the bike working where as the Five I always found to be active regardless of the speed.

Posted: Oct 31, 2015 at 13:15 Quote
I'm thinkng of getting my 322 resprayed but not sure what colour, I'm thinking sterling silver? (Here's the latest photo I have, it's now got a rental integra 2)

New bars and grips

Posted: Oct 31, 2015 at 13:44 Quote
I must admit that silver looks really good (I like it better than the neon yellow it came with)
photo

Posted: Oct 31, 2015 at 13:58 Quote
That looks sick, only problem is my idylles are white so might look a bit weird

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2015 at 14:15 Quote
nah it'l look sick Fab tup

Posted: Nov 1, 2015 at 23:19 Quote
Crush12 wrote:
That looks sick, only problem is my idylles are white so might look a bit weird

silver and Bos look sick!!

photo

Posted: Nov 2, 2015 at 0:50 Quote
Anyone in London who has an Alpine 160 that would mind letting me sit on and ride around there street or whatever to get some what of a sizing up.

Posted: Nov 8, 2015 at 8:49 Quote
Hey, has anyone changed the bearings on the 650B Alpine ?
Have you ordered the bearings directly from Orange or has anyone the number of the bearing to buy it from a local dealer ?

Posted: Nov 8, 2015 at 10:57 Quote
ZeroFighter wrote:
Hey, has anyone changed the bearings on the 650B Alpine ?
Have you ordered the bearings directly from Orange or has anyone the number of the bearing to buy it from a local dealer ?

If you remove the bearing covers you might be able to see the bearing identification on the seal. With that you can go to your local dealer and buy them

Posted: Nov 8, 2015 at 14:01 Quote
Alright guys, I have a 2013 five and took it for its first proper day out on Saturday - and loved it. Bit of a worry though, my 2.35 specialized eskar tyre gets a bit too friendly with the seat tube under bottom out, so much so that the paint has rubbed off here. Anyone else have similar issues? The shock is stock, and there are no offset bushings fitted or anything...

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 2:13 Quote
c2crider wrote:
Alright guys, I have a 2013 five and took it for its first proper day out on Saturday - and loved it. Bit of a worry though, my 2.35 specialized eskar tyre gets a bit too friendly with the seat tube under bottom out, so much so that the paint has rubbed off here. Anyone else have similar issues? The shock is stock, and there are no offset bushings fitted or anything...

I would recommend getting your wheel trued.

I have the Five 2013 too and the max tyre I can fit is a 2.3 Maxxis Minion DHR II at the rear.

For me a 2.35 Schwalbe tyre will rub on the swing arm when it gets muddy or during very hard cornering. It'll spin free but somehow hard cornering will make it rub at some point during a ride. I tried with both a Flow EX and a Carbon Rim and both were trued and dished for the bike.

None of them hit the seat tube under full compression though so your wheel may be not be quite round?

I got my wheels trued and re-tensioned and it fixed the issue to use 2.3 tyres which is fine for me.

My 2014 Alpine, on the other hand, will take much wider tyres at the rear.

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 2:35 Quote
I would check the shock first (make sure it is a 190x51), and if you remove all the air, does the tyre rubs the seattube aswell ?

If it's the right size and it doesn't rub, then you could have a look at spoke tensions. If the spokes have a low tension, the wheel will deform a lot more than with good high tensions.

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 6:55 Quote
Plus make sure you're not putting a 650B wheel on by mistake. face-palm #26aintdead

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 10:17 Quote
Here's my Five 2013 and her rubbish pilot... on our way to last place in category at our first ever DH race (for charity - Air Ambulance) yesterday. I pinned it as hard as I could in the terrible slippy wet, muddy, windy conditions... but everyone else was just better, faster or had DH bikes. That's my excuse anyway. It was brilliant fun though, I didn't die and the Five was brilliant.

Same bike XC 4th to DH last in two weekends! Somewhere in the middle the Five has it's rightful place! Enduro... I'll try that next. As a do-it-all bike... she's pretty darn impressive.

Riding in my first DH Race at Moelfre. November 8th 2015. Terrible muddy conditions. Photo taken by Yasmeen Green.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013485
Mobile Version of Website