All you Orange riders get in here!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
All you Orange riders get in here!
Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 5:29 Quote
Has anyone a picture of a comparison from Fizzy Orange and Atomic Orange ?

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 7:07 Quote
@zerofighter. If you go on the orange website they now have a "bike builder" option so you can customise your choice of bike. Not sure if you will be able to see the difference on that but worth a try

Posted: Nov 16, 2016 at 0:43 Quote
Yes, but a real photo would be better. but thanks I saw that....
Anyway I went for fuzzy Big Grin

Posted: Nov 16, 2016 at 1:34 Quote
I have a Ohlins for sale for a Five if anyone is interested.

2016 Ohlins stx22 universal 190x51
  2016 Ohlins stx22 universal 190x51

Posted: Nov 16, 2016 at 3:37 Quote
No trading on the forums please.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2016 at 7:10 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/
photo

New Alpine delivered last week, amazing performance and handling.

Posted: Nov 23, 2016 at 3:09 Quote
Orange Five Black Gold 2012 LTD Edition 18 inch.

Picked it up last weekend, only been on one shortish ride on it but feels great so far.
Loads of upgrades from the standard black gold ltd including:
Hope Tech M2 brakes with matchmaker clamps for Shimano shifter
Reverb dropper post
Stans ZTR flow rims on hope pro 2 hubs
Rubber queen full tubeless set up
Renthal fat bar and stem
Hope 32 chainring with E Thirteen guide
Raceface evolve cranks and type X BB
All along with the standard black gold Kashima coat fork and shock, and maxle rear.

Posted: Nov 23, 2016 at 8:24 Quote
@s00words That P7 looks great !
I would love to add next year a Orange Hardtail to the Alpine, why did you choose the P7 over the crush ?

Posted: Nov 23, 2016 at 10:05 Quote
ZeroFighter wrote:
@s00words That P7 looks great !
I would love to add next year a Orange Hardtail to the Alpine, why did you choose the P7 over the crush ?

I chose the P7 over the Crush mainly because I think it looks better, but also because it is designed for a 140mm fork (to keep my handlebar height under control), and because it has a slightly lower BB.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2016 at 10:21 Quote
And of course the main reason was that its steal!

Posted: Nov 24, 2016 at 0:57 Quote
Mjstokes85 wrote:

Your Black and Gold Five looks absolutely mint. I picked up the 2013 Five S with the same frame second hand in summer 2015 and I've slowly chipped away at the upgrades. It's such a fun bike. Mine weighs 29 lbs all in.

I can recommend the Fox EVOL air can on the rear shock. I've had it on my Alpine for a year now and recently had it on the Five too.

A 2013 Orange Five resting after climbing into the hills of Llangollen.

Posted: Nov 24, 2016 at 4:50 Quote
trailghost wrote:
Mjstokes85 wrote:

Your Black and Gold Five looks absolutely mint. I picked up the 2013 Five S with the same frame second hand in summer 2015 and I've slowly chipped away at the upgrades. It's such a fun bike. Mine weighs 29 lbs all in.

I can recommend the Fox EVOL air can on the rear shock. I've had it on my Alpine for a year now and recently had it on the Five too.

A 2013 Orange Five resting after climbing into the hills of Llangollen.

Thanks mate, admittedly those pics were after a good clean and polish, it didn't look like that Saturday night after a blast in the woods through the mud! I need to weigh mine but I suspect it is somewhere around 30lbs, ideally like to shave a bit more weight off it than that as used to riding a lightish hardtail. How do you find the EVOL can? I've read it messes with the propedal settings making them less effective? I think I need to get my RP23 serviced anyway as the propedal doesn't seem to be doing all that much (maybe I'm just expecting more of it?) so may upgrade if I can afford it. Had the Reverb serviced last week as had developed about 10mm of sag when sitting on it.
Yours is looking sweet, what upgrades have you made?

Posted: Nov 25, 2016 at 2:10 Quote
Mjstokes85 wrote:
How do you find the EVOL can? I've read it messes with the propedal settings making them less effective? I think I need to get my RP23 serviced anyway as the propedal doesn't seem to be doing all that much (maybe I'm just expecting more of it?) so may upgrade if I can afford it. Had the Reverb serviced last week as had developed about 10mm of sag when sitting on it. Yours is looking sweet, what upgrades have you made?

Thanks.

I think the reviews of the EVOL air can are pretty accurate. It does make a difference to initial travel and the bike almost sags under it's own weight - zero stiction. You need to pump it up more to get the same sag with EVOL. I think there's more grip from the rear and it seems to track the ground better. It pedals great in any mode and lockout on the Five's Evolution shock is almost hardtail like. It's not like that firm on my Alpine's EVOL kashima.

My shock is / was the most basic basic Float CTD Evolution which hadn't been serviced by the previous owner for 2 years. I tried to get hold of the EVOL can immediately through my LBS but they claimed it wasn't possible to retro-fit and even had Mojo "confirm that" but it was BS and I knew it - they serviced it anyway and I went on my way. I never really had a problem with it. The lockout worked a treat. It'd pedal fine fully open and I'd get full travel off decent sized drops. I'd run 190PSI. I had the 2nd largest volume spacer fitted - taken from my Alpine which had the largest fitted.

My Aline was running the EVOL though so I knew things could be better but as a 2nd bike I wasn't too fussed.

A year later (this September) the Sektor fork felt like it had lost Negative Air so I took it to Polished Racing (Gee Atherton's mechanic) which is local to me and he rebuilt it. Once he'd done that I asked if he could service the shock too and he found the air can had been damaged internally (thanks LBS!) and I needed a new one so I asked could it be the EVOL one and he said it could. I was excited. I now need to run 250PSI for the same sag. I'm only 75kg + kit. It's much more controlled and small bumps are eaten up. The lockout still locks out and I often leave it in trail mode for climbing / mellow sections then open it up for the gnar. Sometimes it's fully open and it's great climbing too - loads of grip.

The Sektor is also a brilliant fork as well for a 32mm. It highlighted damping issues with my Factory Fox 34 on the Alpine. It took an upgrade to FIT4 on that to get it sorted to as better than the Sektor. Despite my Five being the lowest model in the range it certainly punches above it's weight performance wise and is why I've upgraded things on it and kept it.

I bought the Five to use the frame and fork really. It came with a Reverb which was a bonus and has lasted well. Sags a touch now but it's ok. I immediately fitted loads of bits I already had from a previous bike (swapped them over then sold that old bike). I slowly upgraded the bits as they wore out. I fitted SLX cranks and 10 speed to it (now 11 speed), had my XT brakes fitted (I couldn't do the internal routing rear hose), 50mm Thompson stem, Renthal Carbon Fatbar, Renthal Grips (now Hope grips) and most importantly my wheels which were Flow EX on Hope which are now Arch MK3 on the same Hope Hubs. I also run Superstar Carbon AM wheels on it. I swap them from the Alpine to Five all the time.

The Alpine has a similar setup. I try to keep the two in sync. I know they're quite similar bikes (the Alpine is 0.5kg heavier) but when one needs work I can take my time (or let someone else have it for a week) and know I've got the other one to ride. I ride them equally as much as each other and tend to ride one for a few weeks then swap to the other or in the summer I use the Five in the evenings mid week and the Alpine at the weekend.

I'm well stuck in 26 land though. I can't get out of it without loosing so much money now. I'm hoping the Strange 135 29er Orange prototype bike will feel amazing when I ride it next year and I'll retire one of these for that. Otherwise... it may be hang onto these and pickup a Four or Five 2017 when they get sold off ex-display next September / October or go another season again. We'll see. I can't find anything wrong with 26 inch at the moment.

I don't know what it is about Orange bikes but I love them. They're awesome at technical climbing. The frames are not heavy. They're very well balanced in the air. And best of all they're an absolute riot on the way down. Plus in the right hands they're as often as not up there winning races. And they're dead easy to tinker with and super reliable.

Posted: Nov 25, 2016 at 11:52 Quote
Gone for single speed set up with a t-rex:
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020124
Mobile Version of Website