All you Orange riders get in here!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
All you Orange riders get in here!
Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 0:22 Quote
AMviking wrote:
Hey dude! I agree 2014 Alpine is just great.. I point down and the bike does everything.. I'm running 2.40 tyres front and rear and set it up on position 2 according to:
https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/archive/2014/alpine-160_rs/

With the original rear shock (Fox RP23) it gave me a 5mm clearance between tyre and frame when the shock was empty and fully compressed.. So, from my point of view that's good enough to run the 27.5" tyres!
I must admit I don't ride like a pro, but the bike suits my riding style (steep, exposed, scary, loose rocky terrain) the bike performs superb going down and also going up..

That is really good info, thanks for that.
Did you go 160mm or 150mm 650B fork on the front?

I've got no complaints with mine as is really.
I might try to borrow a friend's 27.5 rear wheel to do a little test with my shock.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 9:15 Quote
trailghost wrote:
AMviking wrote:
Hey dude! I agree 2014 Alpine is just great.. I point down and the bike does everything.. I'm running 2.40 tyres front and rear and set it up on position 2 according to:

With the original rear shock (Fox RP23) it gave me a 5mm clearance between tyre and frame when the shock was empty and fully compressed.. So, from my point of view that's good enough to run the 27.5" tyres!
I must admit I don't ride like a pro, but the bike suits my riding style (steep, exposed, scary, loose rocky terrain) the bike performs superb going down and also going up..

That is really good info, thanks for that.
Did you go 160mm or 150mm 650B fork on the front?

I've got no complaints with mine as is really.
I might try to borrow a friend's 27.5 rear wheel to do a little test with my shock.

I'm using 150 travel fork for the 650B.. To be honest the only reason for going to 650B wheels it was that I had a spare set of wheels and fork at home to make my missus an enduro hardtail but I used them on the alpine instead.. I think it's a good idea if you can borrow a rear wheel to try on your bike b4 hand..
Today I'm back on the 26"..

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 9:39 Quote
Check out my FR beast! Went back to 26" to fit this brand new second hand forks.. Orange Alpine with 180mm forks a set of Rockshox Totem RC2DH Coil with mission control.. I can't stress enough how good these forks are! It gives to the bike really good handling

photo

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 10:43 Quote
AMviking wrote:
trailghost wrote:
That's really interesting. I have the 2014 Alpine too - superb bike. What changes did you make to fit 27.5 in there and how does it ride? What sort of size rear tyre can you fit in? I know the swing arm is only 6mm longer on the 2015 Alpine.

Im an idiot and cant read- deleted post

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 0:17 Quote
AMviking wrote:
I'm using 150 travel fork for the 650B.. To be honest the only reason for going to 650B wheels it was that I had a spare set of wheels and fork at home to make my missus an enduro hardtail but I used them on the alpine instead....

That's interesting you used a 150mm 650B fork. The reason I asked was because I've heard that a 160mm Fox 26 inch fork (which was the default 26 fork on the Alpine 2014) can take 650B lowers and the travel would then be 150mm.

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 3:14 Quote
Watch the Alpine in action:

Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 11:33 Quote
Another video of my alpine..

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 3:21 Quote
Greetings and salutations to you all!

Down to business, I may need to post this in another forum but thought I'd try here first! I've got a 13' Orange Five in XL sat in my workshop (frame only) but due to changing to 29er it's of no use to me. As you can all imagine, I miss it dearly and am in no state to part with it - I'd actually like to re-build it if possible as it's a 22" frame (Orange no longer make this size as they're against tall people riding bikes). Now what I'm wondering is...

1. Would a 29er swing arm fit or could I make it fit? Looking at the Five 29er/Alpine Five, the front triangles don't look all that different from the 26" Five.
2. If the swing arm from the new gen wouldn't fit, could anyone fabricate a swing arm that could fit?
3. Anyone got a Five 29 swing arm they want to rent out to see if it would work or sell to me?

Lets face it, we all want a world of Orange bikes so lets make this happen. Also just FYI, I contacted Orange pleading for a custom sized Segment and I had no response at all so I think it's down to me to make this happen. And the reason I want it is because I'm 6ft7 and the new frames are just too small.

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 4:19 Quote
Orange are not against tall people riding bikes... they are against making ugly bikes... think about it, why does the seattube actually need to be that long? the only reason for buying a larger bike is for length. Right?

I am under the general opinion that the maximum length seatube there should be is 18" and then bikes should just get longer! The more standover clearance the better!

All of the above would be possible and i would suggest calling up orange and asking! However, they may turn around and say it may fit but we would not advise it... it would require some real thinking as well if you wanted one fabricated as it would need to "fit" the bike as in it would need to be designed around the 29" wheel... my guess is that they will either say yes it fits and what they actually did was just put a longer swing arm on a five (i doubt this is true)

So if they don't say the above then i would not advise it as it would probably ride like shit!

Holly shit... I just read the part about you being 6' 7"

Maybe in your case a longer seatube is required... i would see if you could contact someone like btr or someone that does custom frames and see if they will make a longer version of the segment!

All said and done, you realise this will cost you well over a grand for the frame i would even suggest nearer 2 grand!

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 5:56 Quote
Hi,

Yep, the initial comment was a joke, but lets just say the max is to be 18", that then means that immediately I need a further 4 inches of seatpost exposed, that's pretty difficult given the length of them now days, not to mention the increased leverage you're then putting on the frame/seatpost. I spoke to Orange straight after as thought it would be worth a call and lets just say they said NO. The only way to move forward would be to approach a custom frame maker to build.

I've got to problem with going custom swingarm/fully custom, the benefit of doing the Orange is I knew how it performed and that I liked it. If I'm spending the kind of money necessary for custom, I want to know it's going to perform well and that's something that can't really be guaranteed. I've looked into it before and there are masses who will make a custom hardtail but not many that seemed comfortable/confident that they could deliver something 'worth' the money it would cost. If there was someone out there who could make say a Cotic Rocket (most customs will only do steel or Ti) in 29 with decent geometry, i'd bite there hand off. Looks like the Five may have to go up for sale and I'll keep looking into custom.

Out of curiosity, has anyone replaced bearings on the Five and a Five 29? Wondering how different the mounting points are.

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 7:41 Quote
madThehatter wrote:
Hi,

Yep, the initial comment was a joke, but lets just say the max is to be 18", that then means that immediately I need a further 4 inches of seatpost exposed, that's pretty difficult given the length of them now days, not to mention the increased leverage you're then putting on the frame/seatpost. I spoke to Orange straight after as thought it would be worth a call and lets just say they said NO. The only way to move forward would be to approach a custom frame maker to build.

I've got to problem with going custom swingarm/fully custom, the benefit of doing the Orange is I knew how it performed and that I liked it. If I'm spending the kind of money necessary for custom, I want to know it's going to perform well and that's something that can't really be guaranteed. I've looked into it before and there are masses who will make a custom hardtail but not many that seemed comfortable/confident that they could deliver something 'worth' the money it would cost. If there was someone out there who could make say a Cotic Rocket (most customs will only do steel or Ti) in 29 with decent geometry, i'd bite there hand off. Looks like the Five may have to go up for sale and I'll keep looking into custom.

Out of curiosity, has anyone replaced bearings on the Five and a Five 29? Wondering how different the mounting points are.

Call orange and ask about a custom build. I'm fairly sure that a certain Ben Cathro (sickskills mtb) used to be on a custom built 224(?) before he managed to snag a mahoosive V10 from the syndicate, and he's also around the 6'7" mark

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 7:45 Quote
madThehatter wrote:
Hi,

This is irrelevant, 29" wheels would make it handle awful even if they could get it as close to what you want, it would still be knowwhere near the same.

You can guarranty it Facepalm You know you love the segment but it's not big enough, ask for the segments geometry with a longer seatube and reach!

Cotic do a rocket maxx which is a 29er Rolleyes

Also, call Cy at cotic, he's usually very helpfull and might be able to do you a custom rocket thats big enough if the large rocket maxx isn't

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 7:46 Quote
Please also bear in mind i am 5' 7" so am in no way capable of understanding your problem lol

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 5:16 Quote
Finished Orange Five 5
  Finished Orange Five 5

Finished Orange Five 5
  Finished Orange Five 5

Finished Orange Five 5
  Finished Orange Five 5

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.250683
Mobile Version of Website