Chrome wheels

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Chrome wheels
Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 at 23:43 Quote
Just got some crhome wheels and im wondering if they are ok with rain help please

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 1:52 Quote
Ok with rain?

What?

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 9:09 Quote
your gunna be riding chrome rims in rain ?, good luck with that ahha

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 9:16 Quote
Why would you ride in the rain?

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 15:06 Quote
dude dont get chrome rims if your riding in rain. the rain water has a chemical reaction with the chrome, which causes it to give off a toxic gas that will make you sick if inhaled; its really corrosive too, so it makes your rim flake, and if you touch the flakes, or they get in contact with your skin, you risk death/serious injury. I'd keep away from chrome rims. as a matter of fact, keep away from bikes, trust me. just get a scooter.

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 15:34 Quote
tacoved wrote:
dude dont get chrome rims if your riding in rain. the rain water has a chemical reaction with the chrome, which causes it to give off a toxic gas that will make you sick if inhaled; its really corrosive too, so it makes your rim flake, and if you touch the flakes, or they get in contact with your skin, you risk death/serious injury. I'd keep away from chrome rims. as a matter of fact, keep away from bikes, trust me. just get a scooter.

Science proves it.

NaCL4 + H2O => NaH2O - CL4

CL4 in this case being the Chromium Lacrimate ions that are formed due to contact with rainwater (H2O). Chromium Lacrimate is very toxic and is highly dangerous.

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 15:46 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
tacoved wrote:

Science proves it.

CL4 in this case being the Chromium Lacrimate ions that are formed due to contact with rainwater (H2O). Chromium Lacrimate is very toxic and is highly dangerous.

but if you ride a scooter, you dont have to deal with that problem. trust me, bikes are overrated anyway. companies DONT put rims through testing, wet and dry, to make sure nothing happens to them, and that they can withstand rain. last time i rode my chrome rim in the rain, it burst into a fireball of noxious gases/flames. trust me man, stay away from this shit. bmx isnt for everyone.

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 18:07 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
tacoved wrote:

Science proves it.

Where does the activation energy come from to bond the molecules together? With no activation energy, the two just sit next to each other and to nothing. As is the case with cyanide. Cyanide = CN- and there are both carbon and nitrogen abundant in the atmosphere. They need to be bonded together to be poisonous.

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 21:46 Quote
tacoved wrote:
JokerMachine wrote:
tacoved wrote:

Science proves it.

but if you ride a scooter, you dont have to deal with that problem. trust me, bikes are overrated anyway. companies DONT put rims through testing, wet and dry, to make sure nothing happens to them, and that they can withstand rain. last time i rode my chrome rim in the rain, it burst into a fireball of noxious gases/flames. trust me
man, stay away from this shit. bmx isnt for everyone.
you just made my day with this post.

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 21:53 Quote
These guys are kidding.... Chrome rims will spontaneously combust and explode the world in rain.

I like tacoved's idea, let's all ride scooters.

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 22:03 Quote
sjv13

the activation energy occurs as the rain water strikes the chrome surface, between the tempretures of -17 and 42 degrees c this mixture of kinetic and heat energy is enough to initiate the reaction.
being exo-thermic, it will cause your rim to buckle and fold due to the huge tempretures produced, this is why the few people crazy enough to run chrome rims need far more spokes than normal. ie, 48 or 144, depending on its use.

the saving grace is, aslong as you are with in the above tempretures the reaction is in equilibrium, and with revert barckwards and forwards with out you realising, except for the buckling and folding.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 at 0:05 Quote
connen31 wrote:
the activation energy occurs as the rain water strikes the chrome surface, between the tempretures of -17 and 42 degrees c this mixture of kinetic and heat energy is enough to initiate the reaction.
being exo-thermic, it will cause your rim to buckle and fold due to the huge tempretures produced, this is why the few people crazy enough to run chrome rims need far more spokes than normal. ie, 48 or 144, depending on its use

Glad to see another science-minded person on here.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 at 2:19 Quote
lol

They only really die if they get salt on them Razz water isn't to much of a problem.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 at 2:47 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
Glad to see another science-minded person on here.

Salute likewise

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 at 4:31 Quote
connen31 wrote:
sjv13

being exo-thermic, it will cause your rim to buckle and fold due to the huge tempretures produced, this is why the few people crazy enough to run chrome rims need far more spokes than normal. ie, 48 or 144, depending on its use.

the saving grace is, aslong as you are with in the above tempretures the reaction is in equilibrium, and with revert barckwards and forwards with out you realising, except for the buckling and folding.

this.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.017214
Mobile Version of Website