How to paint mountain bike rims

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How to paint mountain bike rims
Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 at 2:35 Quote
how to paint mountain bike rimsJail please respondJail

Posted: Apr 19, 2011 at 2:46 Quote
Stolen from waterfall99

Hey, ive seen many different people asking this so id make a threat about how I painted mine. Heres Step By Step on how I did it. These are just guidelines ive made, they do not have to be followed exactly, there are many ways of doing this! I didn't take apart my rim during this process, ill show you what to do so there is hardly no prep before the fun begins.

Supplies:
1 can of spraypaint. (your color choice)
1 can of clearcoat.
string (to hang your rim)
nail polish remover (to assist in removing your stickers)

Pre Step: Paint! Go to your local hardware store, id suggest purchasing a matt paint, because it sticks better then glossy paint. If you want a glossy final project make sure you purchase a gloss clear coat.

Step 1: Take any stickers off your rim so you are left with just the basic rim. To take off the stickers, I suggest using nail polish remover, just pour some on a cloth, and wipe it on and around the sticky crap left from the sticker, then push it into a big gooey pile and pull it off. Should come off in a clump.

Step 2: Tape off all spokes using masking tape, TIP: You don't need to tape the entire spoke, just from the nipple up to around the middle or 3/4 of the spoke.
Aswell, do a final wipe of the rim with a damp cloth to take off anything that may be left on the rim.

Step 3: find a well ventilated area where you can hang a piece of string, stick it through the valve hole in your rim, and tie it up.
Make sure you have the rim centered around middle chest to shoulder hight for optimal spraying. Be carefull, make sure you have a tarp or an old blanket around your spraying direction as tiny spray paint particals will cover the direction you are spraying in as all the paint will not directly hit the rim.

Step 4: START SPRAYING!! Make sure you do light coats! The smaller the coats, the better your rim will turn out. Many make this mistake and cover the whole rim in paint on the 1st coat! Your rim shouldn't be completely covered in your new color within the 1st 4-5 coats! There are many advantages to spraying lightly besides heavy coats. Firstly, light coats dry faster, so you can do a coat every 15-30 minutes. Light coats allow the paint to stick much better, allowing for a longer lasting job. Here is my finished rim drying up.

Step 5: Clear coat! You got your choice between gloss or matt. Your choice, I used gloss but its entirely up to you. Don't have any pictures of this, it wouldn't show much as it only changes the "shine" of the rim. Clear coat is an important step, it basically hardens the paint and makes it last alot longer. Make sure you wait atlease 2 days before clearcoating your final product because the paint must fully cure before the clearcoat will work successfully. If you don't your paint will wrinkle and chip off eaisly.

My Final words are, spray carefully, remember, light even coats! But most of all Have fun! Painting rims and many bike parts can become quite a hobby. Since my front rim, I have painted the back rim, my bars and my stem, its easy to do, just follow the steps. Thanks for checking my thread and I hope it helps you guys out.

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 0:12 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
Stolen from waterfall99

Hey, ive seen many different people asking this so id make a threat about how I painted mine. Heres Step By Step on how I did it. These are just guidelines ive made, they do not have to be followed exactly, there are many ways of doing this! I didn't take apart my rim during this process, ill show you what to do so there is hardly no prep before the fun begins.

Supplies:
1 can of spraypaint. (your color choice)
1 can of clearcoat.
string (to hang your rim)
nail polish remover (to assist in removing your stickers)

Pre Step: Paint! Go to your local hardware store, id suggest purchasing a matt paint, because it sticks better then glossy paint. If you want a glossy final project make sure you purchase a gloss clear coat.

Step 1: Take any stickers off your rim so you are left with just the basic rim. To take off the stickers, I suggest using nail polish remover, just pour some on a cloth, and wipe it on and around the sticky crap left from the sticker, then push it into a big gooey pile and pull it off. Should come off in a clump.

Step 2: Tape off all spokes using masking tape, TIP: You don't need to tape the entire spoke, just from the nipple up to around the middle or 3/4 of the spoke.
Aswell, do a final wipe of the rim with a damp cloth to take off anything that may be left on the rim.

Step 3: find a well ventilated area where you can hang a piece of string, stick it through the valve hole in your rim, and tie it up.
Make sure you have the rim centered around middle chest to shoulder hight for optimal spraying. Be carefull, make sure you have a tarp or an old blanket around your spraying direction as tiny spray paint particals will cover the direction you are spraying in as all the paint will not directly hit the rim.

Step 4: START SPRAYING!! Make sure you do light coats! The smaller the coats, the better your rim will turn out. Many make this mistake and cover the whole rim in paint on the 1st coat! Your rim shouldn't be completely covered in your new color within the 1st 4-5 coats! There are many advantages to spraying lightly besides heavy coats. Firstly, light coats dry faster, so you can do a coat every 15-30 minutes. Light coats allow the paint to stick much better, allowing for a longer lasting job. Here is my finished rim drying up.

Step 5: Clear coat! You got your choice between gloss or matt. Your choice, I used gloss but its entirely up to you. Don't have any pictures of this, it wouldn't show much as it only changes the "shine" of the rim. Clear coat is an important step, it basically hardens the paint and makes it last alot longer. Make sure you wait atlease 2 days before clearcoating your final product because the paint must fully cure before the clearcoat will work successfully. If you don't your paint will wrinkle and chip off eaisly.

My Final words are, spray carefully, remember, light even coats! But most of all Have fun! Painting rims and many bike parts can become quite a hobby. Since my front rim, I have painted the back rim, my bars and my stem, its easy to do, just follow the steps. Thanks for checking my thread and I hope it helps you guys out.

HEY THANKS DUDE
"BUT CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO PAINT V BRAKE MOUNTAIN BIKE RIMS

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 0:58 Quote
Firstly never quote like that, secondly you couls just search it it is all over the forum, and fourthly exactly the same, except the paint will wear off really fast and your braking surface will be bare metal , I dont see any difference between disk and v rims other than in shape, everyone i know who sprays rims does it like that

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 0:59 Quote
you cant paint v brake rims unless you want your brakes not to work

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 1:01 Quote
skibbe wrote:

they work fine, as long as you go over it with sandpaper if you need the brake to work instantly, or like with disks go for a short ride to bed everything in and it will wear down the paint and your braking ill be the same as always

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 1:04 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
skibbe wrote:

they work fine, as long as you go over it with sandpaper if you need the brake to work instantly, or like with disks go for a short ride to bed everything in and it will wear down the paint and your braking ill be the same as always
using v brakes on painted rims doesnt work. they make a huge sqeeling noise and it looks trashy. going over it with sandpaper works but it still will look like shit.

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 1:12 Quote
skibbe wrote:
using v brakes on painted rims doesnt work. they make a huge sqeeling noise and it looks trashy. going over it with sandpaper works but it still will look like shit.

then why do so many people do it, that is not true, many of my friends do it, they are not all kids, they are mainly grown men in there thirties, and it works fine, just use decent brake blocks, what is the difference between you painting v rims and the factory doing it, there paint is thicker, so it will last a bit longer, deal with it paint wears off

also brake squeal is due to setup not rims, and is often a sign or more responsive pads that connect flat rather than toed in

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 8:34 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
Firstly never quote like that, secondly you couls just search it it is all over the forum, and fourthly exactly the same, except the paint will wear off really fast and your braking surface will be bare metal , I dont see any difference between disk and v rims other than in shape, everyone i know who sprays rims does it like that

1.tell me whats wrong with my quote?Smile Big Grin
2.v brakes don't work after u apply paint.Redface Redface Redface

ANY WAY thanks for reply dudetup tup tup tup

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 8:37 Quote
Jail PLEASE SOME BODY TELL ME WITH INSTRUCTIONSJail

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 11:53 Quote
mahen wrote:
James-Carey wrote:

1.tell me whats wrong with my quote?Smile Big Grin
2.v brakes don't work after u apply paint.Redface Redface Redface

ANY WAY thanks for reply dudetup tup tup tup

they do fricking work, i dont see why they wouldn't work, i have never known them not to work, they dont use special pain tat the factory it is just paint, only difference is that your paint will wear through quicker, it is that or mask over the braking surface, and spray the rest of the rim, or rough up the braking surface afterward

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 12:18 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
skibbe wrote:

then why do so many people do it, that is not true, many of my friends do it, they are not all kids, they are mainly grown men in there thirties, and it works fine, just use decent brake blocks, what is the difference between you painting v rims and the factory doing it, there paint is thicker, so it will last a bit longer, deal with it paint wears off

also brake squeal is due to setup not rims, and is often a sign or more responsive pads that connect flat rather than toed in

factories anodize their rims, they dont spraypaint or powdercoat them. theres a difference. anodization stains the metal and powdercoat and apraypaint just add a layer of paint. that layer of paint isnt good to use your brakes on.

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 12:20 Quote
skibbe wrote:
James-Carey wrote:
skibbe wrote:

factories anodize their rims, they dont spraypaint or powdercoat them. theres a difference. anodization stains the metal and powdercoat and apraypaint just add a layer of paint. that layer of paint isnt good to use your brakes on.

not all rims are anodized, many are painted, and what is wrong with taping them over, he asks how to paint them, then says paint wont work, well seems like a dumb question if you ask me

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 12:22 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
skibbe wrote:
James-Carey wrote:

not all rims are anodized, many are painted, and what is wrong with taping them over, he asks how to paint them, then says paint wont work, well seems like a dumb question if you ask me

i dont even get what the kid is asking. but almost all rims that are for v-brakes are anodized or at least have a machined down braking surface.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.017737
Mobile Version of Website