Rotator cuff/shoulder injury

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Rotator cuff/shoulder injury
O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2012 at 21:47 Quote
dogboy1066 wrote:
An update on my shoulder:

After all the physio and my shoulder still popping out occasionally, i had a big accident (slipped down some wet stairs) a few months ago and i dislocated my shoulder properly again. I get to see a different Doctor this time, straight away he's convinced it's something to do with the Cartilage and orders an MRI.

I have the MRI and go in today to check the results; Sure enough my Labrum is damaged! The Dr says this has been causing the instability. Also the joint is looking a bit damaged in general from the repeat dislocations.

I'm going to be having surgery in the next few months to sort it out. Key hole work on the Labrum and pins/staples to hold it all together.

Why couldn't i seen this guy 18 months (or 4 years) ago, it's the same hospital!

Hope it goes well for you.

I had open Bankhart surgery last October...so far so good!! Lost some mobility,but whatever..better than it coming out all the time!

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 at 0:08 Quote
Doule wrote:
dogboy1066 wrote:
An update on my shoulder:

After all the physio and my shoulder still popping out occasionally, i had a big accident (slipped down some wet stairs) a few months ago and i dislocated my shoulder properly again. I get to see a different Doctor this time, straight away he's convinced it's something to do with the Cartilage and orders an MRI.

I have the MRI and go in today to check the results; Sure enough my Labrum is damaged! The Dr says this has been causing the instability. Also the joint is looking a bit damaged in general from the repeat dislocations.

I'm going to be having surgery in the next few months to sort it out. Key hole work on the Labrum and pins/staples to hold it all together.

Why couldn't i seen this guy 18 months (or 4 years) ago, it's the same hospital!

Hope it goes well for you.

I had open Bankhart surgery last October...so far so good!! Lost some mobility,but whatever..better than it coming out all the time!
the lost of mobility is good. but it just sucks cant put my back pack on a right arm then left i can only go left to right. cant put my left arm behind my back, but better than it popping out!

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 9:27 Quote
Hey guys!

I would like to share my story and also get some feedback from you if you have had some similar injuries as me.

On the 15th of August, I had a crash in a bike park. I fell over my handlebar after landing a smaller jump, and I landed on straightened arms. I have dislocated my right shoulder. It was not a full dislocation because after moving my arm a little bit around, it popped back into the right place.

After a series of X-ray, MRT, and CT scans, they gave me the following diagnosis: Bankart lesion, Hill-Saschs lesion, and partial tear in the supraspinatus tendon (CID lesion, which is parallel to the tendon, not perpendicular). I had shoulder surgery on the 21st of August to fix the first two lesions, but the operating doctor told me that the tendon did not need operative treatment because it should heal by time. This was later confirmed by an another independent doc at a sports clinic.

I have worn a sling for two weeks after the surgery, and I have started doing physiotherapy around the 10th of September. I am doing that ever since, 3-4 times a week. Additionally, I am doing shoulder exercises (as instructed by my physiotherapist) in the morning and in the evening. Progression has been good but slow, I think. I am fighting a lot exactly with that tear in the tendon because it causes a lot of stiffness in the shoulder. I have recently started with external rotation exercises, so far, we havent been doing those.

As of now, if I do like 5-10 mins of warm up exercises, my shoulder feels really good, and the range of motion is also pretty good (except for the external rotation, which is ok because I just started training that). BUT, 5 minutes after I finish the exercises, my shoulder feels stiff again, and, for example, raising up my arm overhead comes with pain (which was without pain 5 minutes before). My physiotherapist says that this is ok because the muscles and tendons shrink a little bit and this is why I need a lot of stretching, but I am still not sure if this is ok 3 months post-op.

Looking forward to hearing from people recovering from similar injuries.

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 11:07 Quote
tamas-szabo wrote:
Hey guys!

I would like to share my story and also get some feedback from you if you have had some similar injuries as me.

On the 15th of August, I had a crash in a bike park. I fell over my handlebar after landing a smaller jump, and I landed on straightened arms. I have dislocated my right shoulder. It was not a full dislocation because after moving my arm a little bit around, it popped back into the right place.

After a series of X-ray, MRT, and CT scans, they gave me the following diagnosis: Bankart lesion, Hill-Saschs lesion, and partial tear in the supraspinatus tendon (CID lesion, which is parallel to the tendon, not perpendicular). I had shoulder surgery on the 21st of August to fix the first two lesions, but the operating doctor told me that the tendon did not need operative treatment because it should heal by time. This was later confirmed by an another independent doc at a sports clinic.

I have worn a sling for two weeks after the surgery, and I have started doing physiotherapy around the 10th of September. I am doing that ever since, 3-4 times a week. Additionally, I am doing shoulder exercises (as instructed by my physiotherapist) in the morning and in the evening. Progression has been good but slow, I think. I am fighting a lot exactly with that tear in the tendon because it causes a lot of stiffness in the shoulder. I have recently started with external rotation exercises, so far, we havent been doing those.

As of now, if I do like 5-10 mins of warm up exercises, my shoulder feels really good, and the range of motion is also pretty good (except for the external rotation, which is ok because I just started training that). BUT, 5 minutes after I finish the exercises, my shoulder feels stiff again, and, for example, raising up my arm overhead comes with pain (which was without pain 5 minutes before). My physiotherapist says that this is ok because the muscles and tendons shrink a little bit and this is why I need a lot of stretching, but I am still not sure if this is ok 3 months post-op.

Good luck with the recovery!

Hopefully if you keep up the physio all will be good.

I have near full movement with mine again, and have had no dislocations since the operation. I think it was 6 months or so until i was back on the bike (although i took it easy and probably mostly did road), with 3 months of that time in a sling, keeping up the physio was key. After 3 months it felt very weak, very tight and i had very limited range of movement. But it was improving all the time. After a year it was better than before.
Worst thing i can say about mine now is that i have a slight feeling of tightness in it sometimes, but mostly i dont notice it.

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 17:31 Quote
tamas-szabo wrote:
Hey guys!

oh welcome to the club. On august 26th I crash and went OTB. I have my humerus crack open. I am off from work since then. My surgeon wait cause he had wish for natural healing of the bone. Unfortunately I must go under surgery in two weeks will insert titanium plate. I am expectecting to be back to work maybe at the end of January.

Shoulder is complex in my opinion you be ok in 6 months.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032695
Mobile Version of Website