Intense M9 Set Up

PB Forum :: Downhill
Intense M9 Set Up
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 10, 2011 at 17:30 Quote
Hey, so I saw a thread somewhere about m9 setups that worked but can seem to find it. So well give it a try on pinkbike.

Post the M9 suspension that you have tried, what worked and what didn't, and why they worked or didn't work. Please start with rider weight and basic stuff. Since these bikes come with the angle set, say what cup you have in what direction.

Rider weight w/ gear 195lbs, size medium.

First try,
Everything middle, 400 lbs spring, 0deg cup.
Too slack, rear to soft, blew through travel too quick.

Second,
Everything middle, 1 degree head angle cup (steeper), 450lbs spring.
Bike felt a bit long for my taste, a little slugish, spring was a bit stiff.

Third try
Middle travel, middle progression, 1 degree angle cup (steep), G3 dropout moved to shortest position, 450lbs spring less low speed compresion dampening. This seems to have done the trick, the bike felt to me like the perfect balance of quick handling and good high speed handling.

Let's here what you guys have tried?

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2011 at 20:09 Quote
I know this thread is old but if you're still interested in swapping suspension setups let me know. I have been playing around with mine a bit.

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 21:41 Quote
Guess where the only ones on pb with m9's curious what other people are running... def interested to see what you like!!!

Recently I've be running the 9.5 travel with middle progression... middle low speed com damping... and very little high speed comp damp and the bike just rails everything it just flatlines over roots rocks and bumps... amazing.

What are your running?

Posted: Aug 30, 2012 at 18:24 Quote
Hi, let's reactivate this thread!!!!

I've had the M9 for about a year now. Weekend warrior only, but I guess good enough to give some opinions, and of course, eager to hear alot more to get this infinitely adjustable beast dialed.

My specs: 5'11", 176lbs (w/gear on).

My M9: Medium, Boxxer WC, Fox DHX RC4 with 400lbs Ti spring (I have a 350lbs steel one too), 39lbs total.

Current geometry setup:
- HA: 64 degrees (0 cup)
- Progression: Middle
- Travel: 9.5"
- Chainstay: Mid

Shock/Fork setup:
- Low Speed Comp: Mid way
- High Speed: minimum (2 of 12 clicks on the shock)
- Bottom-Out: Mid way
- Air pressure: 165psi (shock) and 65 psi (fork)
- Rebound: this varies all the time depending on the terrain

I am not stuck with this, yet it is working pretty good on steep, bumpy, wet, rooty, tight cornering and jumping trails.

I tried the Progressive setting the other day with the short chainstay, for a rather smooth, yet jumpy trail ...a playful one....and it felt pretty good too....I would have even changed the HA to 65 maybe, but I didn't have the time (being the HA cups the most time consuming setting change).

Anyone else?

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 2, 2012 at 0:20 Quote
Lonchera, I have just bought an M9 from pinkbike. Not got it yet, but from everything I have read and from my experience of riding and racing I think I'll closely mimic your set up.

I'll try middle travel and middle progression, possibly upping to 9.5 travel. I imagine I'll change the chain stay length often as I ride a mix of very fast, and slower flatter twisty tracks.

I'm tempted to get a straight head set rather than an adjustable one. This is because from my experience of a Lapierre DH I don't want to keep taking fork out to change it, and don't want play an creek to easily develop in headset. I'll only end up leaving it in 63* which is too slack for 90% of uk stuff. 64 is probably
More suitable in uk.

But then will I miss 63 degs out in the Alps..

I weight about 185Lbs with kit, and will have a 450lb spring to start, should be nearly right weight..?

Posted: Nov 8, 2012 at 14:43 Quote
5'9 165lbs
M9 size M
HA 64
Progression middle
Travel 9.5
G3 longest.

I have CCDB 400lb spring with recommended settings from cane creek. But I have a few more clicks of LSR.

Everything works for me. I don't usually go for big air, I suck up the lips. I do mostly local trails, not bike park stuff. This setup is perfect for me, I feel planted and the bike responds really well. Once I went to the longest wheelbase the entire bike felt a lot smoother and stable. So smooth that I felt like I was going slower, but really I was pulling away from my buddies. I don't want to use the term dead or unresponsive. But I must say, I felt like I was crawling when in reality the m9 was just gobbling everything up and flying over the terrain.

I've taken it off decent drops and pretty gnarly rock gardens. She stayed straight and true through it all. No harsh bottom outs at all.

Love it where it's at, I feel stable and confident through the roughest terrain

Posted: Nov 11, 2012 at 11:00 Quote
For me, the key part of the set-up of my M9 was moving the front shock mount to the lowest position. This greatly changes the ratio of the suspension and allows the bike to "pop" a lot more. Since I mostly stick to runs like RockStar (SilverStar) and A-Line (Whistler) which are smooth with big berms and lots jumps, I have found this to be the key to my set-up.

* G3 - Middle and 9" travel mode

photo

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2012 at 8:49 Quote
I'm just taking apart my M9 to see what bearings need to be replaced and I also picked up a new set of Fox bushings and reducers. These are different. They're plastic bushings that slide into the eyelets easily and have the black aluminum reducers: http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=703662&d=1339633878

My question is, have you guys found some play between the suspension flip chips and the box link?? I installed the new bushing kit on my DHX, installed the shock, torqued it pretty well... but I can feel the chips moving very slightly.

I'm wondering if the holes in the box link wore themselves out, or if this new Fox hardware might be slightly too wide.

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 7:41 Quote
Hope this Post can be brought to life.

I haven't got a chance to fully test my M9 but I was wondering how would you set up your bike for Bootleg Canyon. Did someone raced there this past weekend?

Its a very rocky track with off-camber stuff and lots of loose gravel.

What types of tires? Steeper or slacker HA? Stiffer or softer suspension?

Hey, chrisrobin, just put some teflon tape in those chips.

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 8:40 Quote
Yup! Was just there on mine.

I ran 8.5
Longest drop out
Middle progression
64 HA

butter.

Tires, I usually run older worn out tires because of the sticky slick rock. But I had DHF Aand DHR Minions at 25/28psi

Posted: Jan 23, 2013 at 10:29 Quote
Good stuff Sinbin. Thanks for the input. Hope you had a good run there buddy.

Posted: Feb 8, 2013 at 9:57 Quote
How would you setup for an urban race like the Valpo which is coming in a few weeks.
You have a lot of high speed compression hits with those huge drops, but you also small bump stuff with hundreds of steps.

I think slacker HA will offer you better stability in the rough but would be harder to pedal in the flat corridors around those streets.

stiffer suspension settings with this damping:
fast lsr | slow hsr
fast lsc | slow hsc

High pressure in the tires , maybe tubeless to avoid pinch flats.

I might be totally wrong, how would you guys do it?

Cheers

Posted: Feb 8, 2013 at 11:53 Quote
Depending on the course...

I'd go middle drop out so I could still get through those tight corners. But like I said, that depends on the course, if not I'd go longest drop out for stability at speeds.

HA I'd keep at 64 so you can still pedal efficiently, let the drop out manipulate the slacker HA. So it would end up being 63.5 which should be just right to compromise.
Middle progression.

Def higher pressures for lower rolling resistance

Suspension, I wouldn't necessarily say the drops are huge...if you're landing 15' drops already leave your High speed stuff alone. You're right with the LSC and LSR though.

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 9:22 Quote
I have run my m9 In almost every suspension set-up possible and this is what I have found this to be my favourite set-up. The bike destroys roots,sails over rock gardens and jumps like a dream.

Me 5'11" 180lbs w/gear

Frame size m (shoulda been a large)
0 degree cup in headset
Bottom progression hole
8.5" travel setting
Shortest chainstay

Fork/ Manitou Dorado 75-85psi
11clicks in from open HSC
14 clicks in from open TPC+
9 clicks in from open rebound

Shock Manitou Revox 400lbs spring w/200psi in boost chamber
1 full click in from open HSC
2.5 clicks in from open LSC
15 clicks in from open rebound

Tire/wheel set

Sun ringle add pro set-up tubeless with muddy marys in vertstar compound with 19-22psi up front and 22-25psi in the rear

photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015621
Mobile Version of Website