Steel spring vs Ti spring

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Steel spring vs Ti spring
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 at 14:41 Quote
What's the real preformence between those 2 springs,if you switch like from a Ti spring > steel spring or from a steel spring > Ti spring would that effect the preformence off the rear shock.I'm not talking about weigth difirence,I'd see most riders in the World cups with a steel spring more than a Ti spring.Has that also to do with the preformence between the Steel and Ti springs or not.

Posted: Dec 8, 2007 at 14:43 Quote
probally not but TI springs are softer (not strength wise) than steel springs. maby its better cornering because the heavyer the middlle of the bike the better the grip.. i dont know..

Posted: Dec 8, 2007 at 15:54 Quote
I really dont want to open this can of worms again but here goes. The Ti spring theory wise, has less inertia to move, and a higher frequency response, meaning it can react to small chatter bumps and keep you tire in contact with the ground better. However, most poeple seem to run a lot of compression and rebound dampning in their shocks, this would limit the speed at which the spring could respond, as shaft speed is controlled by your dampner cartridge. So if you a person whol likes a slower rebound and a lot of compression damnpning the benefits of Ti would be weight alone. If you like your shocks wide open fast, then the benfits of teh Ti spring would be more noticeable as your rear wheel could potentially track the small undulations in the ground much better.

Titanium spring are also much more durable then steel, over time a steel spring can start to sag a little, a Ti spring will always remnain the exact shape.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 11:29 Quote
weight wise how does it compare. like a 500lb steel vs a 500lb ti is there more sag or is it pretty comparable?

Posted: Mar 2, 2009 at 20:07 Quote
Strictly weight!!! You can argue that Ti springs are made alot better than steel, which means steel springs, if you buy s 300, it can vary between 50+-. Ti springs are alot closer to the actual rating. Weight is the only benefit I would look at from moving to a Ti spring.

Posted: Jun 15, 2012 at 18:50 Quote
Less unsprung mass (around half the spring that moves with the swing arm or fork). Means better suspension performance.

Posted: Jun 15, 2012 at 19:39 Quote
ggggggggggrave dig.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv15 0.015088
Mobile Version of Website