2012 Specialized Demo 8/ bikes

PB Forum :: Downhill
2012 Specialized Demo 8/ bikes
Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 20:06 Quote
thanks so much for the help guys, I appreciate it

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 20:17 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:
One other question, what spring rate would you guys recommend with the demo for someone weighing 165-170?

theres a thing on the web called a spring rate calculator I think. its dope, you put in your shock and weight etc and it gives you a good starting point. then from there if you feel it needs changed you will know roughly what you want

good luck with getting it.

hey guys I have a question- my bb bearings feel "tight" when I remove the chain. but when I unscrew them out of those cheesy ass plastic BB inserts they feel fine.
they dont seem to be cross threaded, and I dont have a spare BB to test out.

anyone have a similar problem?
is there a better system then the pressfit plastic cups? I had to replace mine once, since the one side backed out of the frame and got damaged. and yes my crank arm was tight!

Are you talking about how the bearings themselves spin with the crank or how they thread into the adapters?

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 20:21 Quote
talking about the bearings feeling tight. like when the chains off I can feel resistance in the cranks.

remove the BB and the bearings seem fine, thread em back into the plastic cup... back to feeling resistance!

I cant figure it out Redface

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 20:48 Quote
Do you feel resistance on the bearings with the crank on/off or both?

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 20:52 Quote
Regarding the 2012 someone is looking at ... I think taking it to a shop is a good idea as the rider obviously doesn't know about bikes. Warning labels still on the rotors, super long hoses, and I hope for sure that seatpost is well into that frame for being that far extended.

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 20:56 Quote
tf02 wrote:
Regarding the 2012 someone is looking at ... I think taking it to a shop is a good idea as the rider obviously doesn't know about bikes. Warning labels still on the rotors, super long hoses, and I hope for sure that seatpost is well into that frame for being that far extended.

good points, thanks

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 20:58 Quote
tf02 wrote:

do you think that bike would be better to get than same condition 2014 demo 8 1 that i can do a local pick up for?

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 21:06 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:

do you think that bike would be better to get than same condition 2014 demo 8 1 that i can do a local pick up for?

Depends.

Zee groupset is pretty nice for the price, especially the brakes which would kill the Avids on the 2014 8.1. The wheels on the 2012 (Outlaws) are pretty nice and much stronger than the Rovals the 2014 would come with, but at the expense of weight.

So yeah, depends on price and what you're gonna be using it for.

Posted: Feb 27, 2015 at 21:31 Quote
tf02 wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:

Depends.

Zee groupset is pretty nice for the price, especially the brakes which would kill the Avids on the 2014 8.1. The wheels on the 2012 (Outlaws) are pretty nice and much stronger than the Rovals the 2014 would come with, but at the expense of weight.

So yeah, depends on price and what you're gonna be using it for.

yeah the biggest factor for me is the 2014 one I can do a local pick up.

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 7:58 Quote
nobodyhasthisname wrote:

both. its almost as if the black pressfit threaded cups are causing the bearing to bind slightly.

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 18:56 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
nobodyhasthisname wrote:

both. its almost as if the black pressfit threaded cups are causing the bearing to bind slightly.

Do you have too wide a spacer in there? When you tighten up the crank arms then there should be a teeny little bit of slack that you lightly take up with the spinny bit on the non-drive side.

My bike came with too wide a spacer so when the crank arms were tight it was putting loads of pressure on the bearings that caused the same issue as you're seeing. The arms would only rotate freely by 1/4 turn before stopping. Now that the spacer is the correct width then the arms spin freely as they should

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 23:13 Quote
thanks henkster, I will be sure to check that out. very well could be the problem. Salute

Posted: Mar 1, 2015 at 16:25 Quote
Hello guys, anyone have any idea what`s this about ? I just bough a new boxxer wc, i set the psi to 80 ( good for my weight) and the fork remain at 10 % after I compress it, don`t back to 0.
photo
Usually this thing would happen if I didn`t had enough air in it, but I triple checked and it`s not the case. I lose 2 cm of the travel. Top tubes are at the same level. It`s brand new, maybe after I use it a bit will come to normal ? Any help and hint will be much appreciated, thank you

Posted: Mar 1, 2015 at 17:21 Quote
vladutz8417 wrote:
Hello guys, anyone have any idea what`s this about ? I just bough a new boxxer wc, i set the psi to 80 ( good for my weight) and the fork remain at 10 % after I compress it, don`t back to 0.
photo
Usually this thing would happen if I didn`t had enough air in it, but I triple checked and it`s not the case. I lose 2 cm of the travel. Top tubes are at the same level. It`s brand new, maybe after I use it a bit will come to normal ? Any help and hint will be much appreciated, thank you
I think you have to cycle it to equalize pressure for neg and positive pressure. If it doesn't after a few cycles you may have an issue. Things have to break in sometimes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021777
Mobile Version of Website