Broke my wrist on June 26th - whats the likely recovery period?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broke my wrist on June 26th - whats the likely recovery period?
Posted: Jul 14, 2011 at 20:17 Quote
I broke my distall radius July 4. I got the go ahead today from my ortho trauma doc that the cast comes off in 2 weeks. Then a spint thing while it gets stronger. It hurts sometimes when I grab stuff but this goes right away. So 24 days in a plaster cast (fiber-glass if I really want).

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 at 21:39 Quote
nancinald wrote:
I broke my distall radius July 4. I got the go ahead today from my ortho trauma doc that the cast comes off in 2 weeks. Then a spint thing while it gets stronger. It hurts sometimes when I grab stuff but this goes right away. So 24 days in a plaster cast (fiber-glass if I really want).

Only 3 and a half weeks in a cast? Thats crazy quick healing. I couldnt even get them to consider it when i asked could i get it off early. Your's must not have been displaced as they said it takes 2 weeks just to tell if the wrist has slipped into an unacceptable position. another 3 weeks for me and then its off

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 at 21:43 Quote
nancinald wrote:

Whenever the hell your doctor says it's recovered.

Don't feck with injuries. I learned that the hard way with my knee, that I now have to get surgery on. .

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 at 22:06 Quote
As soon as I broke it I went to VGH emerg as I couldn't ride with my left wrist, and it was swelling like crazy. I was in a cast 5 hours after the break, which was not displaced. It's called a buckle fracture, not snapped in half yet. Luckily. They did a catscan too because the swelling made them think it was a scaphoid break. I'm so happy I don't need surgery, it helps me not feel bitter about the cycling trips I'm going to miss with my friends.

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 at 22:30 Quote
Bike injury poetry: get out your hankies!

I tried to unclip
I slipped
Now here I sit

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 at 22:32 Quote
Clipped in DH ?

That stuff sucks....

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 at 23:09 Quote
I might have broke my wirst on my race run sunday. hahaha this would happen right before finals!

Posted: Jul 14, 2011 at 23:10 Quote
No, not downhill, on the cruel hard concrete.

I'm just glad the van I was trying not to collide with made it to 4th Ave in time to make the green light, but then why wouldn't he since he was travelling at about 150 km/h!!!!!

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 6:59 Quote
Cast came off yesterday. Ooooowwwww

But all healed nicely. Still painful though.

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 7:02 Quote
nancinald wrote:
Cast came off yesterday. Ooooowwwww

But all healed nicely. Still painful though.

Ow ? Lol I threw a party when mine came off. I was soooooooooooooo happy. Didnt hurt too much though.

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 8:40 Quote
Could you bend your wrist? My whole hand is stiff, sore, sensitive, but I'm working on it.

Soooo nice to sleep WITHOUT a cast. Like heaven.

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 9:08 Quote
nancinald wrote:
Could you bend your wrist? My whole hand is stiff, sore, sensitive, but I'm working on it.

Soooo nice to sleep WITHOUT a cast. Like heaven.

That's how mine was, dude. Just keep gently moving it and maybe have a hot bath or something.

And yeah how awesome is it to sleep properly again Big Grin Beer

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 19:40 Quote
Lots of catch up snoozing. So nice. Must keep the tendons moving though...

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 20:20 Quote
I sleep perfectly well with my cast on. I dont even notice it anymore. The first few nights were a pain but its been fine since. My cast is off tuesday. Cant wait, expecting a lot of stiffness though. Im trying to move as much as i can in the cast but thats not much.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.027250
Mobile Version of Website