share your "tools of the trail"

PB Forum :: Trail Building
share your "tools of the trail"
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 13:57 Quote
an earlier forum chat about an axe to choose, coupled with my needing snowshoes to get into our trail this weekend, leads me to think that a thread discussing the many different tools you prefer to use when trailbuilding- might be a good idea. some description of technique- or some of the tricks you have picked up along the way could help as well. ex.we use a macleod tool a lot for raking out and tamping down our trannies.-or- we use dead bodies for our berm filler(joking.)lemme know your favourites, and whatever tool or trick might be an original idea. cheers.

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 14:12 Quote
Rakes are awesome for making the trail smooth. Where i live we also have rocks that we sledge hammer to make a line on/over/through.

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 14:30 Quote
well when i can i like to use the john deer 2355 front end loader. we have a big bucket for chicken shit thats amazing for dirt and we have a plat for to lift small tractors up to second story of chicken barn which is perfect for lifting you, wood, nails everything up to where u want to build (roll in, ladders u name it). PTO on the back of the tractor powers post hole digger which is great fun and good for putting posts in for u name it. my uncle has a thing called a Canada arm thats like a excavator but its pulled behind the tractor and uses the pto to hydraulic pump, its perfect for digging massive pits and dirt jumps. Chainsaws are excelent where u cant use electricity and cordless tools just don't have the power, if you can afford one and are serious about making a lot of trails i would buy one, hand saws are a lot cheaper but they take along time to cut enough wood for an entire ladder and thick posts are that much harder.
a few tips: don't skimp out on strength if you can make it really strong
cedar wood is awesome especially when it is fresh cut, its heavier but it is also quite plyable, it will never rot and it has great strength for this type of building(i had a ice storm and in bent a few good sized trees which is perfect for making thoes nice flowy wooden jumps)

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 15:17 Quote
The snowshoes were definitely a nice touch on Saturday...

I dont think I've built a stunt without the use of this guy:
photo

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 21:58 Quote
^ such an awsome shot.

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 22:09 Quote
Around my area, it's mostly spaded and flat shovels and a few rakes and you have yourself a trail, along with a handsaw or machete every once in a while. Most of the effort comes from just clearing the brush and packing in the line. Everything on the trail is graded to minimize erosion and puddled water on the trail, and no trees are harmed if at all possible.

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 6:42 Quote
obee1 wrote:
an earlier forum chat about an axe to choose, coupled with my needing snowshoes to get into our trail this weekend, leads me to think that a thread discussing the many different tools you prefer to use when trailbuilding- might be a good idea. some description of technique- or some of the tricks you have picked up along the way could help as well. ex.we use a macleod tool a lot for raking out and tamping down our trannies.-or- we use dead bodies for our berm filler(joking.)lemme know your favourites, and whatever tool or trick might be an original idea. cheers.

I want you to bring my draw knife out one day in the spring....if it's not rusted out. I'd like to get my carpenter on one day and make something pretty either on Fraggle or ROS mainline.

.....oh yeah and another vote for Oprah McLeod.

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 7:36 Quote
crazydutchmen wrote:
Snip
Chainsaws are excelent where u cant use electricity and cordless tools just don't have the power, if you can afford one and are serious about making a lot of trails i would buy one, hand saws are a lot cheaper but they take along time to cut enough wood for an entire ladder and thick posts are that much harder.
Snip
If you have the money to throw down on it, Dewalt has started making some tools with crazy long battery life, and plenty of power. But I must add that a handsaw, hammer, rake, and shovel are probably the most practical.

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 7:50 Quote
Flathead shovel
Spade Shovel
Axe
Hatchet
Hedge clippers
Cordless drill
Hammer
Rake
Beer.

All of which I can put in a pack or carry out with me to the trails in one trip.

My new favorite one that is a little tougher to carry in and out of is our metal drum with the pesticide sprayer at the end of it. Makes it easy to lay down gallons of water on the trail in no time at all. Pair it up with a dolly and you're mobile.

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 9:17 Quote
limited60 wrote:

Yes. Best dirt diggin tool there is. She's quite the expensive hoe, however.

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 9:26 Quote
he11uvagoodtyme wrote:
My new favorite one that is a little tougher to carry in and out of is our metal drum with the pesticide sprayer at the end of it. Makes it easy to lay down gallons of water on the trail in no time at all. Pair it up with a dolly and you're mobile.

I needs me one 'o them

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 11:38 Quote
silentj wrote:
limited60 wrote:

Yes. Best dirt diggin tool there is. She's quite the expensive hoe, however.

word. some of you guys need to get your hands on a macleod tool. its a firemans best friend. once you have it- you'll bring it on trail all the time. forget your rakes and spades, all ya need is this.
the adze is a pretty good tool as well. just less necessary if you are running a good fiskars. j you got a photo of an oprah?
having music on the trail is good too. and sunflower seeds. and dr mcgillicuddys for the cold days

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 11:57 Quote
long handled spade
normal spade
shovel
wheelbarrow
bucket (if area is too steep for wheelbarrow)
large frame saw
foldable two-man saw
pick-axe
sledge hammer
hand whinch (attach to tree and rock and move massive rocks around, they work too well, we felled a tree trying to move a large rock)

we dont generally build wooden structures as there is no need and we are not allowed but we make do

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 12:57 Quote
Scruffrider wrote:
crazydutchmen wrote:
Snip
Chainsaws are excelent where u cant use electricity and cordless tools just don't have the power, if you can afford one and are serious about making a lot of trails i would buy one, hand saws are a lot cheaper but they take along time to cut enough wood for an entire ladder and thick posts are that much harder.
Snip
If you have the money to throw down on it, Dewalt has started making some tools with crazy long battery life, and plenty of power. But I must add that a handsaw, hammer, rake, and shovel are probably the most practical.
yeah, i agree the hand tools are most practical. Dewalt tools are top of the line, i would get them if i could afford them, if your out in the back bush and u want to cut something the chainsaw is king, run outa gas and just refil it, its rather hard to find a pulg in the bushtup

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 14:10 Quote
Flat Headed Spade
Fork
Hand Rake
Hoe (lol)
Hacksaw
Saw
Axe
All in a wheelbarrow

In my bag
Beef Jerky..Never fails to keep you going
Mp3...Essential

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013034
Mobile Version of Website