The Devinci Dixon - my build and review.

PB Forum :: Devinci
The Devinci Dixon - my build and review.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 30, 2011 at 15:14 Quote
I've never written a thread likes this before, so it might be really boring. Consider yourself warned.

For several months now, I've been riding a 2011 Devinci Wilson and a 2011 Dixon both here in the UK as well as in Switzerland and Austria. I absolutely adore the Wilson, I think it's one of the best DH bikes available at the moment. But whereas the Wilson has been hyped to high heaven and everyone pretty much knows how good it is, I think the Dixon has fallen by the wayside a little bit. I figured I'd write up a little thread about the build on my Dixon and my experiences with the bike so far as there's not much up on the net about either of Devinci's two smaller Split-Pivot frames yet.

It has taken me a long time to find the perfect trail / AM bike for my riding. I've had (amongst others) a Tomac Eli, Santa Cruz Heckler, Commencal Meta, and most recently an Ellsworth Epiphany built up with a 150mm Revelation. I don't race XC or ride epic tours, and because I ride a lot of DH, my ideal "small bike" is light and fast but quite slack so it doesn't feel too nervous compared to my big bike. I want it to be strong enough for me to take to the Alps and ride it all day when I don't feel like riding the big bike, but more importantly it has to be perfect for me to ride in the UK and have fun all year round.

After I got my Wilson, I was so impressed with it that I had to have a test ride on the Dixon. I had an Ellsworth Epiphany that was a great bike, but it felt a bit flexy/flimsy to me and the angles were too steep even with a 6" fork. I had considered the Moment (my wife has one and it's one of the best allrounders I have ridden), but it's almost too much bike and doesn't pedal as well as the Epiphany. After a few minutes on the Dixon, I knew I wanted one. Rob from Freeborn had his Dixon built up around a Fox 36 and it felt perfect to me, so I took the plunge and bought a medium Dixon frame and a 36 Talas.

My 2011 Devinci Dixon SP custom build

I built the bike up as my do-everything steed. The Talas gives me some really good options in the frames Lo setting.
At the 160mm setting, I get a 65.9 degree head angle and a static BB height of about 14in - and it feels like a mini downhill bike. At 130mm on the fork, I get a 67.1 degree head angle - perfect for UK trail riding. In case of a nasty climb, I can drop the fork to the 100mm setting and I get an uphill-friendly 68.2 degree HA. The bike corners well even in the longest setting, but on smooth trails the 130mm setting lets you really throw the bike around and rail the corners.

Because the Dixon pedals so well and the geo invites you to pin it and have maximum fun everywhere, I decided to run it as a 9 speed bike with a chain device pretty early on. I'm running 175mm SLX cranks with the granny lugs filed down a few mm, and an E13 LG1+ with a 33Tor 36T E13 chainring. The LG1+ lines up just fine using a BB adapter and no washers as long as you add a 1mm BB spacer on the drive side to fine tune the chain line.

I can get up most hills with the 33T ring on and pedalling out isn't an issue very often. Now that I have fitted a chain device, I can ride the bike as hard as I want without having to worry about my chain bouncing around all over the place. It has also freed up the space under the bar for me to mount the RH remote for the amazing Rock Shox Reverb seatpost under the bar rather than above it. This way I can flip my bike upside down on it's bars without it sitting on the remote button, and I am not worried about destroying it in a crash. The Reverb is an amazing product that has been completely faultless so far, and has made a huge difference to my riding, I am constantly using it.

Because the Dixon is nice and long, I can run a 50mm Thomson stem without completely ruining the bike's climbing ability. I have this mated to 720mm Renthal low-rise bars, but that's just personal preference. Other items that come down to preference are the grippy, light and bombproof Tioga MX Pro flat pedals, the Odi Rogue Lock-On grips and the Specialized Format SL saddle.

I've been a fan of SRAM shifting and Avid brakes for a while now, so I'm running an X-9 shifter for cheapness and an X-0 mech and cassette for crisp shifting. I run Elixir CRs on my DH bike so I know that they are plenty powerful enough. For a slightly simpler and cheaper trail/AM setup, I am running Elixir 5s with a 185 front and 160 rear and have found them to be a very good and reliable brake. When I run a 36T chain ring in the Alps, I also switch to a 185 rear rotor for that bit of extra power.

Wheels are Hope Hoops - Pro 2 hubs on ZTR Flow rims. I use a Specialized Purgatory 2.2 front tyre and a Specialized Captain 2.0 rear tyre in the summer, and a Purgatory 2.4 front / Purgatory 2.2 rear for the rougher stuff and in bad weather.

I've now had my Dixon since the beginning of 2011, and I've ridden it as my trail bike all over the UK, as an all-mountain rig in Tirol, Austria, and I even used it as a light freeride bike in Flims, Switzerland when my DH bike just felt too big and heavy for the trails we were riding.

If I had to describe the Dixon in one word, that word would be "balanced". It's not so heavy that it feels like anything more than a 5" trail bike, yet it feels burly and slack enough to ride in the Alps without having to worry about breaking your bike. The tapered head tube and bolt-thru rear end make everything feel really sitff and responsive, and pedalling the bike (even standing up) is truly mond-boggling. The Dixon just shoots forward with little or no discernable pedal bob - it's one of the best pedalling full suspension bikes I've ever ridden. There is no evidence of brake jack when riding the rough stuff either. Whatever Dave Weagle is having for breakfast, it's working. The best way I can describe the suspension feel of the Dixon is 'taut'. FSR bikes like the Enduro or last year's Hectik, and single pivot bikes like the Meta and Orange 5 have a sort of bouncy, plush feel to them - as do Ellsworth's ICT bikes. VPP and DW-link bikes give a tauter feeling pedal platform, but I don't like the way the travel feels throughout the range on those designs. With all those bikes, I get the feeling that I am overly "aware" of the rear suspension working/moving as I ride. The suspension on the Dixon is almost freakishly transparent, you really aren't aware that it is doing anything until you force yourself to think about it. I am not sure how much of this is down to the SP design and/or leverage ratios etc., and how much is down to the custom tuned shock Devinci supply with the Dixon frames.

The closest comparison I have been able to find for how the Dixon rear suspension feels is (surprise surprise) the Trek Remedy, which is also an awesome bike btw. If anything, the Remedy feels slightly plusher than the Dixon but not as "snappy" and responsive at the back end. With the 36 fork, my Dixon feels a bit like Devinci kidnapped a Trek Fuel and a Scratch Air, flew them to Canada, and then forced them to mate and make beautiful little Canadian trail babies (really fast ones). Smile

Overall the bike feels light, stiff and playful. I think for most of us, the biggest factor when choosing a new bike is "how much fun am I going to have on this?", and the Dixon delivers trail bike fun in spades. The only bike I would have considered equally impressive and suited to my needs would have been a Remedy with a 36 up front, but I have had great experiences with Devinci in the past and the Dixon just edges it for me. It's also nice to support western manufacturing and, compared to the horrendous graphics Trek are sticking all over their bikes these days, the Devinci looks nice and understated.

As far as reliability, I have yet to touch a bolt or pivot after 4 months of frequent and varied riding. The Dixon is as smooth, silent and compliant as the first day I got it. I had to true the wheels, service the fork, replace the brake pads and tweak the gears when I got back from 2 weeks in the Swiss Alps recently. Time will tell how the bike holds up over a year or two and some real grimy winter riding, but things are looking good so far. The only bike we have owned that has been utterly reliable has been my wife's Ellsworth Moment, which hasn't made a peep in over 2 years of UK riding and regular downhilling and general abuse in the Alps. I am confident that the Dixon will prove to be equally impressive.

I am not affiliated with the bike industry in any way. I'm not a bike tester, or even a very accomplished rider. I don't do big jumps or huge drops / gaps. I can ride most downhill courses pretty good and I ride a lot, but I ride for fun and that's it. In the Dixon, I have found the perfect bike for me. I decided to write this because I've had nothing but good experiences with Devinci's products and my LBS have been really good to me over the years, and because the Wilson has been getting all the publicity. I think many people are overlooking one of the best bikes of 2011.

POSITIVES:
- modern trail bike geo that works well with a 36 up front
- rear suspension is among the best I have ever tried, and everyone that has had a go agrees
- frame/hardware quality and strength-weight ratio is outstanding
- stiffness and simplicity of frame + tapered head tube and bolt-thru rear
- low standover
- good uninterrupted cable routing
- dropper post cable routing
- good tyre and mud clearance
- with a travel adjustable fork and sensible build, you get a true do-anything bike
- lifetime warranty & canadian made

NEGATIVES:
- eco-friendly paint chips very easily, I wish Devinci would offer a hard anodised option like Ellsworth or Yeti
- no ISCG tabs (apparently being addressed for 2012)
- could do with a downtube protector/shield, i have no dents but the downtube sounds horrible and pingy when rocks hit it
- standard rear axle isn't tool-free
- i wish i had a newer Talas 36 with the 2 travel settings as I rarely use 100mm

I love my Dixon. I love it a lot. But for those times when it's just not enough bike, I also have this. Big Grin

My 2011 Devinci Wilson SP custom build in the garden....

Massive props to Devinci for putting out some amazing bikes this year and making me spend way more money than I should have. I hope this post proves useful to someone and it isn't just me gushing over my bike in a very public way.

Remember, no matter what you ride or where you ride, the winner at the end of the day is the person with the biggest grin on their face. tup

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 13:31 Quote
awesome review

I just got back from a trail ride on my Dixon SP

before going riding, I dropped the saddle right down and put on my skate shoes

rode uphill for 20 minutes standing up, no pedal bounce or squatting

had HUGE fun riding aggressive XC trail, lots of tight corners, compression and rough terrain

easily the best bike I've had in years, and takes me back to the original mountain bike vibe (I started in 1986) of "one bike to do it all.."

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 at 9:48 Quote
here is my Dixon taking a brief rest, during a fogging morning ride here in the UK

the Dixon SP on an early morning ride on the Heath still some fog lingering....

and on a 5+ hour XC ride the weekend past, huge fun and proving itself as a trail capable all-mountain bike also totally at home on the steeps, drops and jumps

baking hot day - October in the UK Rob C on the Dixon SP mid ride

Posted: Nov 6, 2011 at 1:04 Quote
Great review, you're making the wait to get mine even worse haha! I have a question though:

carnivorous wrote:
Wheels are Hope Hoops - Pro 2 hubs on ZTR Flow rims.

What do you think of your hubs/rims? I was thinking of getting that setup and I'd like your input on it. Thanks!

And I saw you were selling the frame, why?

Posted: Nov 6, 2011 at 3:33 Quote
Congratulations ! This is a great review, well written and balanced. It belongs on the home page.

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2012 at 19:01 Quote
This is a review I've been looking for. I want a Dixon now

Posted: Mar 14, 2012 at 17:05 Quote
dixon advise time!

i am currently looking to get new steeds, pretty set on a Wilson for downhill, but thinking of selling my intense tazer 4x vp and getting that cool team look and get a dixon frame too! excessive maybe but i like the idea of having my bikes of the same make so they feel the same to each other ie no getting use to each bike!

anyhow what i want to know is how does the dixon perform as a all day ride bike, i ride downhill but i want a xc bike i can still rip the downs on. something i can leave my house and ride for a hour or so to get to my local hills, thrash it hard and ride home!
is this the bike, or too much travel,
i also would like it to be capable of very long xc rides with my xc mates. talking 24 hour marathons etc
cheersBig Grin

Posted: Mar 14, 2012 at 17:28 Quote
joelong wrote:
dixon advise time!

i am currently looking to get new steeds, pretty set on a Wilson for downhill, but thinking of selling my intense tazer 4x vp and getting that cool team look and get a dixon frame too! excessive maybe but i like the idea of having my bikes of the same make so they feel the same to each other ie no getting use to each bike!

anyhow what i want to know is how does the dixon perform as a all day ride bike, i ride downhill but i want a xc bike i can still rip the downs on. something i can leave my house and ride for a hour or so to get to my local hills, thrash it hard and ride home!
is this the bike, or too much travel,
i also would like it to be capable of very long xc rides with my xc mates. talking 24 hour marathons etc
cheersBig Grin

hey Joe,
Its funny because it looks like a copy/paste of your situation.

http://devinci.com/hello/108

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 15, 2012 at 8:05 Quote
2012 Super D Machine

gone be fun fun fun!

Posted: Mar 15, 2012 at 8:09 Quote
Superb review, but please get some decals on your Fox 40 lowers

Posted: Mar 15, 2012 at 23:39 Quote
voltagejosh wrote:
Superb review, but please get some decals on your Fox 40 lowers

WTF? Yeah, I'm gonna go do this because YOU prefer it. LMAO.

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 at 19:26 Quote
Just picked up my 2012 Dixon RC.
Swapping out the 90mm stem for a 70mm and the Haven bar for a wider Havoc Carbon.
Plan to switch out the Fox 32.
Should descend as well as this bad boy climbs once done.
And it has the ISCG tabs I was waiting for. Beer

photo
photo

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2012 at 5:20 Quote
Fantastic review, I am totally set on this now especially as it is only £1200 with an RP23! but im not sure what size to get, how tall are you and how does the medium size feel for your size?
J.

Posted: Jun 25, 2012 at 5:06 Quote
jackh123 wrote:
Fantastic review, I am totally set on this now especially as it is only £1200 with an RP23! but im not sure what size to get, how tall are you and how does the medium size feel for your size?
J.

I'm 1.77m / 5ft9 and medium is spot on with a 60ish stem...50 and 70 stems felt fine, with 70 being better for a do-everything type setup. Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.046973
Mobile Version of Website