ScottTalbot's Custom Frame Designs

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
ScottTalbot's Custom Frame Designs
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 5, 2011 at 22:14 Quote
Hey guys,

I'm sort of starting project. I'm going to start doing more custom designs on frames. I will be selling them but this thread isn't meant to advertise that. The purpose is to just show what I've been working on and get my name out there. I will try and keep this thread updated with current project in progress pictures but I may slack a little if I get busy. I whenever a frame is done I will post pictures and a single link to it's for sale ad. Then I will try and give information that the for sale ad doesn't. Stuff that is like behind the scenes. For example what medium I used or my thoughts behind the design.

I'm going to start this thread with bringing everyone up to speed but at the same time telling people what I've learned. I think a lot of people out there don't really understand/realize how much thought actually goes into a frame design, whether the design is for stock or hand done like I do.

So lets jump in. I did my first frame design for my senior project in high school. It was an orange frame with black detailing. I immediately decided to redo it. I was rushing it because I simply wanted to ride the bike. But the painting job was also chipping more than usual. Here is a picture of it. Sorry it isn't that detailed.

photo

Looking back I can say that my second time around was better but really that doesn't say much. My second time around I spent more time and tried to fill more of the frame up. But after spending a year in art school now, I can give a professional critique of why it didn't work.

photo

To start of the line quality was poor. When you are hand drawing something you need to make everything look like you did it on purpose. So if you are going for a sketch feel... you need to show it. And if you want perfect clean lines, you also need to follow through. For this frame I just didn't have enough patience.

photo

Another thing is that there is not constancy with a single concept. I didn't plan any of it and it really hurt the final product. Consistency simply means that it needs to look like it all belongs on that frame.

photo

The last thing that I didn't like about the design is that it wasn't really a design. It was a doodle. A design needs a composition, or an organizing principle if you will. I'm not saying that people who draw on every inch of there frame don't have a composition but sometimes it can be overwhelming and just feel like a bunch of lines. A good composition should be balanced and carry your eye throughout the frame.

With all that said lets say goodbye to the orange and move on to my latest completion. Recently I decided to move redo the design and sell this specialized P1 frame. I decided to go with black base and the line colors of green, blue, and white.

photo

For this frame I really wanted to improve on all the aspects that I felt didn't do well on on the first two design. For a couple days I was sketching out ideas and concepts for this frame. My main goal was to have a consistant style. In the end I decided to focus on the idea of cells splitting and moving in between each other. I spent a little bit of time actually researching this concept and if there were any cool things I could implement.

photo

In the end I feel like it is a pretty cool design. The colors work and the design isn't something you see a lot of. If you would like to buy this frame I will post a link below. Note that I'm selling this one pretty cheap because the base frame isn't all that special.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/899208/

photo

Anyway that brings you up to basically what is going on tomorrow. I'm currently talking to a certain local company about ordering there frames in bulk and being able to then sell them as brand new frames. I will be going to their warehouse tomorrow night and hopefully I will be coming back with some goodies. Wink

If you would like to follow my bike art and get immediate updates I would just add me as a friend here. But if you want to see my bike art and anything else that I'm working on you can follow me on Google+ or my blog.

Thank you for reading and please let me know what you think. I love to get feedback on my work and in general how much feedback I get on this thread will determine how many updates I post.

- Scott Talbot

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 21:25 Quote
Black Market Malice s

Just got back from the Black Market warehouse. Brought some goodies back with me.

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 at 3:07 Quote
this stuff is really sick. i wishe i could do it. keep it up! tup

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 at 7:58 Quote
What type of paint are you using?

I would suggest trying out some One Shot with some long brushes. It pulls nicely and its thick so it helps with line consistency.

Posted: Aug 9, 2011 at 23:25 Quote
Holy crap dude, this is sick!!Drool Drool

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 at 0:36 Quote
Thanks guys!

I'm using sharpie oil based paint markers at the moment. I'll take a look a One Shot. A friend suggested Krink and PermaPrint.

Today I got a design concept nailed down and started drawing on my next frame. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I get some more done. Wink

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 at 4:36 Quote
would you sell some

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 at 10:25 Quote
trailsbike wrote:
would you sell some

idrawonbikes ebay account

I will be selling all of those black market's except for one. Smile

Posted: Aug 12, 2011 at 1:20 Quote
Okay guys. Here is a sneak peek at my next design. When it is finished I'll sort of give a little background like I did with the other frames. Let me know what you think!

First Blk Mrkt Malice frame being worked on. I m probably gonna have to go in and clean some lines up but here it is none the less.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 at 7:03 Quote
Talbs wrote:
Okay guys. Here is a sneak peek at my next design. When it is finished I'll sort of give a little background like I did with the other frames. Let me know what you think!

First Blk Mrkt Malice frame being worked on. I m probably gonna have to go in and clean some lines up but here it is none the less.
i like very much, has a sort of transformers circuit board look to it

Posted: Aug 24, 2011 at 16:40 Quote
DONE!

Okay so I just finished a frame. Now time to write my little description...

So for this frame I really struggled in the beginning. I probably took 5 days for I even touched it. I was just sketching some ideas down. Like I've said previously, I take this seriously and I don't like to repeat designs. But at the same time this was my first business related design. It was very intimedating. When you are trying to make money off something it is hard to set your mind on one idea if you have doubts. In the end though, you will always have doubts about any design and what people will think. I just did a design I would want.

Final Photo

I decided to go with a sort of techy feel. Some have said it reminds them of transformers... I guess I was sort of leaning towards tron if we are talking movies. But the idea was straight lines that point your eyes down the tube of the frame. The issue with straight lines is... well lets just say they are hard. It is really hard on a curved surface. But as time went on I got better.

Final Photo

As for the overall composition goes... I sort of just picked two joints and started drawing. I was thinking about drawing on the back but I tried and it didn't really work so I got rid of it. Also I put two Blk Mrkt stickers on because I just felt that it looked good and I didn't have to think about recreating the logo. Honestly it just saved time.

Final Photo

I really hope you guys like it.

Here is where you can buy it... haha if you are interested in helping me continue this. Smile

Posted: Aug 24, 2011 at 16:56 Quote
Really nice work, Scott! Keep up the good work!!tup

Posted: Aug 24, 2011 at 16:58 Quote
If I rode these types of frames I would so buy one. Great work!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022283
Mobile Version of Website