Moose Mountain Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Moose Mountain Thread
Posted: Jun 20, 2014 at 10:23 Quote
Sounds good, I am hoping to get there for 10am. I've never been out to Moose, should I park at Ing's Mine and walk up, or drive up to the top and walk down? Is there a certain person to meet who can give me some direction or a trail to work on so I'm not wandering aimlessly around?

Cheers!

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2014 at 11:39 Quote
First go to [L=https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Station+Flats/@50.8952883,-114.7059989,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x585bcad387990478]Station Flats parking lot[/L] and find the MMBTS tent. You will need to sign in and get a tool. If you have never been there before, you might get set-up with someone who has so you don't get lost, or told where to easily meet a work crew.

Everyone will end up back at Station Flats after for BBQ too!

Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 20:46 Quote
FYI the river is up quite high (thigh height) so you may want to access from the top.

jean guy below the meadow has turned into a river Frown

Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 22:30 Quote
RONDAL wrote:
FYI the river is up quite high (thigh height) so you may want to access from the top.

Is there no bridge or any way to cross that creek ? Just wade through waist deep after every run ?

I tried looking for the trail end to family guy and shaft but didn't find anything with the creek being so deep. Wasn't sure if we went to the correct spot for shuttling either.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 22:36 Quote
DeBoth wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

Is there no bridge or any way to cross that creek ? Just wade through waist deep after every run ?

I tried looking for the trail end to family guy and shaft but didn't find anything with the creek being so deep. Wasn't sure if we went to the correct spot for shuttling either.

There used to be a bridge at the bottom of where Shaft/TDub/SLF come out, but the floods last year wiped it out. Last week there were some planks laid across the creek to facilitate crossing but if the water level has risen much then they are likely gone now.

The correct spot for shuttling is the Ing's Mine parking lot. The road is gated and you can't go any further - riders will have to pound gravel for a Km or so to get back to the parking lot. Family Guy ends pretty much right across the creek from the parking lot, and yes you'll have to wade or ride across. The creek won't be waist deep for long. If it gets warm then in the next 2-3 weeks there won't be much left in it at all. For the trail day tomorrow, if there is still that much water and you don't want to get wet, you may want to think about going in from the top.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2014 at 22:37 Quote
DeBoth wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

There used to be a really nice bridge over the creek. Unfortunately, during the floods last year Canyon Creek became much wider than it used to be and the bridge was washed away. I think it might still be sitting down stream somewhere.

Hopefully the snow melt and rain will end soon so that creek can go back to being a dry creek bed.

If you don't want to get wet before the water levels receed, Race of Spades, Special K, Brakless and Famiy Guy all have exits that aren't into the creek.

Posted: Jun 22, 2014 at 13:20 Quote
Thanks for the info regarding canyon creek.

Does anyone know if T dub will be rebuilt or is the damage far to great to attempt to fix the trail ? I never had a chance to ride it before the 2013 floods ruined it.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2014 at 17:09 Quote
DeBoth wrote:
Thanks for the info regarding canyon creek.

Does anyone know if T dub will be rebuilt or is the damage far to great to attempt to fix the trail ? I never had a chance to ride it before the 2013 floods ruined it.

T-Dub is currently in the process of being re-routed. The trail was pretty much destroyed during the floods last year, so the majority of the trail has to be rebuilt. MMBTS has applied for funding to hire a trail crew to come in do the work to speed up the process, but getting that money is apparently a slow process.

T-Dub will not be open this season. If they don't get the funding to repair it, it could take years for the volunteers to rebuild. If they do get the funding, it should be hopefully open sometime next year.

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 at 19:13 Quote
How did the trail day on Sunday go? Any major problems with the trails? What all got done? Sorry I couldn't make it out there for all the guys that I know worked hard.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 at 4:47 Quote
The upper half of race of spades got a decent clean up. Berms and landing looking brand new. Unfortunately wasn't able to do work on the lower half due to time. One of the last wooden jumps has no dirt left on the landing and the large (Road gap) has a massive rut running down the middle of the landing..

Posted: Jun 25, 2014 at 5:23 Quote
The step up/down on Jean Guy/SLF is good to go. Landing is buff and we took care of the drainage at the corner.

Posted: Jun 25, 2014 at 10:13 Quote
bigheaddoug wrote:
The step up/down on Jean Guy/SLF is good to go. Landing is buff and we took care of the drainage at the corner.

you guys are my hero. i was out saturday and we went down JG and the lower section was in rough shape with the water. I hear thats also been diverted.

Posted: Jun 25, 2014 at 10:28 Quote
Thanks to everyone who put in hard work last weekend!

Posted: Jun 25, 2014 at 18:39 Quote
Is anyone planning on shuttling moose this weekend? I just moved to Calgary a few weeks ago and have been dying to get out there. Unfortunately I have no truck or anyone the show me around.

Posted: Jun 30, 2014 at 22:34 Quote
Lost Helmet at Moose:

Went riding on Sunday later afternoon, and on the last ride we misplaced my Fox helmet. I'm gutted and don't have the cash to replace it. If anyone may have spotted it (might have been on the roof of the shuttle car at the bottom parking lot when it fell off) I'd appreciate you getting in touch with me on here Frown feel like an f'ing idiot.....

It's a fox helmet with yellow accents and a few nice scratched on the right side.

Thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009879
Mobile Version of Website