Iowa.... oy

Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 at 20:29 Quote
So I am pretty sure I'll be moving from shred heaven So-Cal to Iowa in a few months (work transfer), the Spencer area to be more exact. Should I bother keeping my DH sled or finish building up a new Tracer 2? Are there any trails out there or close to there? Please, someone tell me that all hope is not lost!

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 16:18 Quote
misterpeanut wrote:
So I am pretty sure I'll be moving from shred heaven So-Cal to Iowa in a few months (work transfer), the Spencer area to be more exact. Should I bother keeping my DH sled or finish building up a new Tracer 2? Are there any trails out there or close to there? Please, someone tell me that all hope is not lost!

Check my page. I live in Sioux city and have a spot that if you can imagine it, it can be built. My buddy and I have built quite a bit of stuff here. Enough to have fun and progress.

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 16:36 Quote
I live in Minnesota and there is defenitly a growing dh race scene here. If you don't mind driving there are usually 4-5 races in MN, WI, MI, and so on.
Check out this site for more info: http://www.mfcmtb.com/

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 16:41 Quote
bither22 wrote:
I live in Minnesota and there is defenitly a growing dh race scene here. If you don't mind driving there are usually 4-5 races in MN, WI, MI, and so on.
Check out this site for more info: http://www.mfcmtb.com/

Definitely agree with that.

Are there any good freeride spots in the mankato area? I'm about 4 hours south of Minneapolis. Was just there for the Bush/Chevelle show at the Myth. First time in the city in 15 years and that was for some downtown skateboarding.

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 18:11 Quote
Oh man! This is awesome. I'm selling my M9 cause I thought there was nothing out here. Sounds like I should keep it. What do you guys think? To much bike or is there some good stuff? I don't mind putting in some pedaling, I just want it to pay off with some goods trails or jumps.

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 19:07 Quote
For most of the trails in the midwest you will find a 6 inch bike pretty much sufficient. A lot of guys ride full DH bikes too. Its pretty much up to you. The closest spot to Iowa that I know of is in Red Wing MN. They used to have DH races there, its pretty much a minute or two of jumps.

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 20:07 Quote
misterpeanut wrote:
Oh man! This is awesome. I'm selling my M9 cause I thought there was nothing out here. Sounds like I should keep it. What do you guys think? To much bike or is there some good stuff? I don't mind putting in some pedaling, I just want it to pay off with some goods trails or jumps.

Well I just picked up a transition blindside a couple weeks ago with 7" rear travel and a totem with 7" up front too. Before that I had a 2010 boxxer race with the obvious 8". A good freeride bike with 6" could work but I like the security of a little more travel. My buddy sold his yeti 303 and got a 2011 trek scratch 8 a couple weeks ago as well.

I got my first DH bike in 2001 living in new mexico (alb.) Plus I try and make trips when possible...but especially to rapid city, SD. I did a race in moab utah back then and rode in other areas of new mexico. Reason I'm saying this is because I take what i've ridden in the past and utilize that in what I/we build.

I don't plan on getting away from freeriding any time soon...so that means that i'm going to keep building new stuff to play on. All kinds of things. I like to mix it up.

The M9 might be a little much since it's probably more for racing. But finding a sick less expensive freeride bike is easy as pie. The more riders I find close to me the better.

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 20:19 Quote
Oh and feel free to come down sometime and check out what we have thus far! (Drops...jumps...wallrides...anything anyone wants to build. I do want to add a little northshore style in at some point to mix it up) Spencer isn't far, been there plenty. I've been building as much as I can and my buddy hucks dirt too when he's not overseas. I've got a few other pics I could post on my page that you could check out. We have a trail that I started in march that I want to extend further. I plan on hiking and scouting throughout the winter for new spots in the brickyards to build upon. You'd have to see this place to truly understand what this place is. Potential city....as long as the few lame ass quad riders don't keep messin with my stuff! nails in the tires is an option hehe.

If anything, keep the M9 for a while and see how you'd like the bike with what we have. Or keep the good parts and sell the frame and whatever else you wouldn't want. Then you'd have a good start to a bike you might have more fun on.

PM me anytime if you want to make the trek this way

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.020494
Mobile Version of Website