Fox 36 Vanilla Cracked by pinchbolt - allright to ride?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox 36 Vanilla Cracked by pinchbolt - allright to ride?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 23, 2011 at 3:24 Quote
Is this still allright to use or should i get new lowers??
cracked pinch bolt

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 at 3:29 Quote
My completely unprofessional opinion is that it should be fine. If you think about the direction the forces will travel when you land a jump, they would go upwards, not down towards the ground.
On 180's and stuff i wouldnt be too sure

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 at 3:36 Quote
stpguy69 wrote:
My completely unprofessional opinion is that it should be fine. If you think about the direction the forces will travel when you land a jump, they would go upwards, not down towards the ground.
On 180's and stuff i wouldnt be too sure

That 'll be fine, i cant 180 Razz

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 at 3:38 Quote
Yeah I didn't even stop to think what frame it was on or what it is used for. If you're not going ridiculously big, or you're not too rough you should be right. I would try and find some sort of metal putty to reinforce it however, just for peace of mind.

Edit: Looks like it's because it was over tightened so be careful not to make it worse by opening and closing it all the time or tightening it more etc.

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 at 3:43 Quote
stpguy69 wrote:
Yeah I didn't even stop to think what frame it was on or what it is used for. If you're not going ridiculously big, or you're not too rough you should be right. I would try and find some sort of metal putty to reinforce it however, just for peace of mind.

Edit: Looks like it's because it was over tightened so be careful not to make it worse by opening and closing it all the time or tightening it more etc.

its a specialized pitch, which will be used for trail centre biking, and some very light downhill.

I dont know much about metal putty s, could you point me in the right direction or something??
cheers

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 at 3:53 Quote
stpguy69 wrote:
Perhaps :http://www.buyrapidfix.com/BuyRapidFix.com/RAPIDFIX.html

Seen in action here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmgEkbp5eM

But I'm not 100% sure it would work.

how about just putting some sort of shim in the gap to lower the force on the pinch bolt?

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 at 3:53 Quote
Maybe but that might stress the crack in the opposite direction, ie. open it up slightly more.

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 at 4:07 Quote
This happened to an old pair of mine a couple of years ago, speak to mojo. Even though mine were out of warranty they replaced my lowers for free because it was a known problem on the 36's with pinch bolts (rather than the QR lever they use now). The new ones came with little shims to stop you from over tightening and having the same problem. If your really lucky they might even send you this years legs Wink

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 at 4:18 Quote
jessejones wrote:
This happened to an old pair of mine a couple of years ago, speak to mojo. Even though mine were out of warranty they replaced my lowers for free because it was a known problem with the 36's with pinch bolts (rather than the QR lever they use now). The new ones came with little shims to stop you from over tightening and having the same problem. If your really lucky they might even send you this years legs Wink

A great idea ^

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 at 18:59 Quote
All I can see is cracked paint. Chip that paint off and have another look at the actual metal under the pinch bolt.

tulstot4 wrote:
Is this still allright to use or should i get new lowers??
cracked pinch bolt

Posted: Aug 24, 2011 at 14:48 Quote
tulstot4 wrote:
stpguy69 wrote:
Perhaps :http://www.buyrapidfix.com/BuyRapidFix.com/RAPIDFIX.html

Seen in action here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmgEkbp5eM

But I'm not 100% sure it would work.

how about just putting some sort of shim in the gap to lower the force on the pinch bolt?

Why not give mojo a call and see what they say?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009898
Mobile Version of Website