What does your current mtb training regime consist of?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
What does your current mtb training regime consist of?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 13:28 Quote
What training do you currently do for mtb? Do you feel you know the best ways to train? What works for you? Are you unsure about the most effective ways to train for our sport? Discuss folks...

PinnedFitness aims to take the guess work out of mtb training...watch this space for videos, articles and fitness blog.

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 13:30 Quote
Sleep, Eat, Ride, Eat, Sleep. In that order.

But in all seriousness. I hardly do anything else apart from cycling due to injuries (flared shoulder joint and buggered knee).

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 13:31 Quote
dobby wrote:
is it possoible to improve on that?

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 13:39 Quote
I ride on the road a couple days a week, I know it's not mountain biking but it makes you strong. I'll do maybe 20 miles average on my mountain bike. I run once in a blue moon, usually if my bike is out of action. When I run I do intervals on stairs. My runs are maybe 30 minutes at a moderate pace. In the winter when there's less time for riding I do pushups, pullups, dips, and other P90 X type exercises for about 30 minutes a day. Mountain biking is all about fun for me so I do these other things so I'm in top shape for riding and therefore have more fun.

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 13:39 Quote
rob-c wrote:
dobby wrote:
is it possoible to improve on that?
Salute
He has nailed it tup

f*ck training, just go out and ride and push yourself like every day is your last. Smile

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 13:42 Quote
Sounds like you've got it sussed guys! Eating, sleeping and riding are massive parts of improving performance. But do you ever do any specific training to help with riding? It could help with injuries also to get you back on the bike if prescribed in the right way.

The reason I am setting up this business is because I feel a lot of people see fitness and training as pounding the treadmill, lifting heavy on the bench press and doing sit-ups...the problem is these are boring and not specific to our sport, infact they can be detrimental in some cases! Training can be fun, mental sometimes if done in the right way, and this is what I am hoping to illustrate over the next few weeks and months.

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 13:45 Quote
mrgonzo wrote:
I ride on the road a couple days a week, I know it's not mountain biking but it makes you strong. I'll do maybe 20 miles average on my mountain bike. I run once in a blue moon, usually if my bike is out of action. When I run I do intervals on stairs. My runs are maybe 30 minutes at a moderate pace. In the winter when there's less time for riding I do pushups, pullups, dips, and other P90 X type exercises for about 30 minutes a day. Mountain biking is all about fun for me so I do these other things so I'm in top shape for riding and therefore have more fun.

I couldn't agree more...its all about fun and it sounds like your training lets you have even more fun on the bike!

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 13:54 Quote
I guess I kinda wanted your views on this peeps...do you think mountain bikers would want/need down to earth training and nutrition advice which is interesting, cost effective, requires minimal equipment, is specific to rider and type of riding (and doesn't involve hours on the treadmill or turbo!)?

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 14:05 Quote
Probably not for most riders. I can't speak for everyone but most people who do any kind of sport already have a pretty good idea of how to take care of their bodies. I think most people who get a trainer are either people who are out of shape and know pretty much nothing about fitness, or are elite level athletes trying to get just a little bit stronger. Good luck with your venture though, I'm sure there are a lot of people who could benefit from it.

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 21:41 Quote
Pinned-Fitness wrote:
I guess I kinda wanted your views on this peeps...do you think mountain bikers would want/need down to earth training and nutrition advice which is interesting, cost effective, requires minimal equipment, is specific to rider and type of riding (and doesn't involve hours on the treadmill or turbo!)?

i think it would be super invalueable. you just need to look at this thread and see the people that think all oyu need to be a good rider is to "eat, sleep and ride" and you've got your answer.

any GOOD athlete knows simply doing their sport is not enough, yes its important to spend time on the bike, but if its all you're doing you're not getting the most out of your time.

teaching proper nutrition, sleep habits, and off bike excercises and why they are each is important is crucial for people to get better.

if all it took to be a top rider was saddle time, there would be a lot of bike couriers winning world cup DH races

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 21:42 Quote
dobby wrote:

But in all seriousness. I hardly do anything else apart from cycling due to injuries (flared shoulder joint and buggered knee).

maybe if you did other activities you would strengthen your shoulders and knees and would reduce downtime due to injury......

just a random thought

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 at 23:19 Quote
RONDAL wrote:
dobby wrote:

maybe if you did other activities you would strengthen your shoulders and knees and would reduce downtime due to injury......

just a random thought

That I have tried, issue is, the flared joint means any form of weight is enough to dislocate it. I can't even lift my own arm right up without risking it popping out.

But I'am going in for surgery over Xmas to have it pinned in place and the joint reduced in size.

Posted: Sep 14, 2011 at 0:00 Quote
My current reigime consists of sitting around playing video games until my hand heals...

Posted: Sep 14, 2011 at 1:07 Quote
i just go riding when i feel like it. i also run loads at school though

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010348
Mobile Version of Website