Quitting smoking- I did it, so can you!! (Read 1st Post)

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Quitting smoking- I did it, so can you!! (Read 1st Post)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 20, 2011 at 3:42 Quote
Original Post: So I've been smoking for 11 years, used to be on over 20 a day until last year. Now I'm on 3 roll ups a day. Problem is going cold turkey. I plan on quitting at the end of this month.
Has anybody else quit smoking? How easy is it?
I'd been riding XC for 5 years and it did me in then. But now I'm doing road and it's even worse to catch my breath.
I know there are nicotine patches etc. but I want to just stop without any patches etc.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update (after one week of no smoking} If anybody reads this in the future, all I can say is; it's hard for the first 2-3 days, but after that you'll fight the cravings.

It's actually easier to go cold turkey without patches or inhalers etc.

Fight the power, man up, and fight the habit.

Posted: Dec 22, 2011 at 22:40 Quote
Good luck bud on the cold turkey thing.... I can only imagine it would be extremely difficult. I don't smoke but my wife does and is it very controlling. I ride alot and she rides occationally but of course the cigs go everywhere with her and I know her ability to take in air when she rides hampers her alot. what she is doing now to wein herself off the cig is she's trying those electronic (fake) cigarettes and she has cut down but it will be interesting to see down the road what effect it will have on her habit. They look real when she puffs on one with the glowing cherry on the tip and the oderless mist which mimics cigarette smoke and it gives her the impression of actually smoking. One of these cost around $28.00 here in Canada and will last about two weeks. Good luck however on which ever method you choose.

Posted: Dec 24, 2011 at 17:28 Quote
Thanks oldymoldy. I'll try my best. I'm on my last bit of tobacco so am nearly ready to go cold turkey. If I fail, I'll try one of those electronic cigarettes as they sell them here and you can get them on prescription.
I'll try to go cold turkey. It's best for my health and I'll have to have good lungs for joining my bike club too.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 11:48 Quote
I quit earlier in the year. Went from about 25 to about 5 a day, then just forced myself to stop. Was a rough couple weeks, then I did the stupidest thing I've done in a while, one of the guys in my crew at work knew I was having a bad day with the higher-ups, and not realizing I quit, he bought me a pack... And I dove right back into it, so I too, am trying the whole procedure over again for the new year.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 13:05 Quote
That sucks. I've been smoke free for 4 days now. Luckily I won't be touching another smoke again, or will try not to.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 13:41 Quote
Its tough, did it once before, years ago. Went good for like 6 months and then I gave up. Key I hear is even if you screw up and have one...just dont let it happen again. I just got a membership at a 24hr gym, think im going to use that a bit. Anytime I feel I need one, go take a whack at myself in the gym.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 13:43 Quote
Patches work a treat and you can get them for free.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 13:50 Quote
I'm coping fine though...

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 13:51 Quote
Until you go out to a place where people are smoking.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 13:52 Quote
I smelt some smoke earlier, got a bit tempted but fought the cravings.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 13:54 Quote
I'm weak i know i am,but i also wanna live a little longer i'm still torn lol

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 13:56 Quote
Just cut down from e.g 10 a day then next month, 9, then next month 8 etc. Then when you're down to 2 or 3, just go cold turkey.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 13:59 Quote
kinetic-uk wrote:
Just cut down from e.g 10 a day then next month, 9, then next month 8 etc. Then when you're down to 2 or 3, just go cold turkey.

No.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 14:00 Quote
Fair enough, but it saves you money and most importantly, your life...

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 14:01 Quote
kinetic-uk wrote:
Fair enough, but it saves you money and most importantly, your life...

5 quid a week ain't that much,and it's my only gripe.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010606
Mobile Version of Website