Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 14:54 Quote
The issue with wooden features is that they are man made, if there ever was an issue with legality of your trail then you could be in deep sh*t, if you use just dirt and rocks you can always try and blag it and say you were riding the natural terrain.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 0:12 Quote
Swings in roundabouts as wood is easier to remove without scaring the landscape than a massively landscaped landscape. (So much use of the word landscape)

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 3:31 Quote
pinkkrow wrote:
Split ceder up here in northern bc but we're wet all the time, not much snow if i used anything else it would rot in a couple of years, I try to use less wood as i become a more experienced building technician. Dirt doesnt rot or get smashed by other huge trees in windy storms

I want to use less wood but we make decisions as a group for what happens to the trail we are currently working on but I have a trail I started on my own and I want no wooden features

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 3:36 Quote
liamthebadger wrote:
The issue with wooden features is that they are man made, if there ever was an issue with legality of your trail then you could be in deep sh*t, if you use just dirt and rocks you can always try and blag it and say you were riding the natural terrain.

ive never thought of that thanks for the tip our group has expanded quite abit in the last year so we are unfortunately not allowed the freedome in building we used to. especially now that we are rebuilding an old trail sytem that wa abandoned basically for the last 5 years but the city did ask us to update the page about the trail on the tourism site so so far I don't think we are doing anything they disapprove on

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 7:52 Quote
unwindingcarrot wrote:
liamthebadger wrote:

ive never thought of that thanks for the tip our group has expanded quite abit in the last year so we are unfortunately not allowed the freedome in building we used to. especially now that we are rebuilding an old trail sytem that wa abandoned basically for the last 5 years but the city did ask us to update the page about the trail on the tourism site so so far I don't think we are doing anything they disapprove on
Are there wooden features already there? Public liability insurance is very expensive and what is needed by land owners/managers to have wooden features and the like on their land, "We are sorry to announce that all North shore is now closed at chicksands due to insurance being unattainable. We will be replacing the shore with a pump track, more dirt trails and dirt drops." That is a quote from Chicksands Bike Park in the UK, they're a park and they can't even afford the insurance for wooden features. Your local authority may approve of what you are doing now but will very quickly shut you down if you go past what they can afford/get away with.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 7:56 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
Swings in roundabouts as wood is easier to remove without scaring the landscape than a massively landscaped landscape. (So much use of the word landscape)
landscape-ception, I agree but a well landscaped area can look completely natural especially after a few years that the sides of trails are covered in growth, blending the trail in and use as much of the natural terrain as possible is one of the things I've found very useful in my time of working on some single track and more FR orientated trails saves a lot of time too.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 11:49 Quote
Yeah for sure. Just like how woodwork can be blended in very well. Was just hilighting the opposing view

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 22:39 Quote
i wouldnt be worried bout the liability issue here in canada, once u get a club going i think its $4 per km of trail, build it to last, build it strong and dont spike trees, f*ckn' piss's me off when i see spiked' trees out there

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 3:28 Quote
pinkkrow wrote:
i wouldnt be worried bout the liability issue here in canada, once u get a club going i think its $4 per km of trail, build it to last, build it strong and dont spike trees, f*ckn' piss's me off when i see spiked' trees out there

spiked trees? still learning all terminology

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 3:42 Quote
liamthebadger wrote:
unwindingcarrot wrote:
liamthebadger wrote:

Are there wooden features already there? Public liability insurance is very expensive and what is needed by land owners/managers to have wooden features and the like on their land, "We are sorry to announce that all North shore is now closed at chicksands due to insurance being unattainable. We will be replacing the shore with a pump track, more dirt trails and dirt drops." That is a quote from Chicksands Bike Park in the UK, they're a park and they can't even afford the insurance for wooden features. Your local authority may approve of what you are doing now but will very quickly shut you down if you go past what they can afford/get away with.
yes there are wooden features and from all the old pics of the trail ten years ago they had way more ladders and wooden features then we do now downhill used to be fairly large but then our local ski hill closed the dh course cause they had no one to maintain it so lost the interest but its starting to make a come back now that we fixed this old trail to a ridable condition next season we are going to be doing the fine tweaking adding more berms to keep speed but anyone that helping with advice if u want to check out what we are building on facebook we have a page called free-ride/DH sault ste marie all pics are on there I fell behind with pinkbike this year especially cause it always fails to upload my pics and videos when I try

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 6:57 Quote
unwindingcarrot wrote:
liamthebadger wrote:
unwindingcarrot wrote:

yes there are wooden features and from all the old pics of the trail ten years ago they had way more ladders and wooden features then we do now downhill used to be fairly large but then our local ski hill closed the dh course cause they had no one to maintain it so lost the interest but its starting to make a come back now that we fixed this old trail to a ridable condition next season we are going to be doing the fine tweaking adding more berms to keep speed but anyone that helping with advice if u want to check out what we are building on facebook we have a page called free-ride/DH sault ste marie all pics are on there I fell behind with pinkbike this year especially cause it always fails to upload my pics and videos when I try

its not just that. most of the local trails are hard on vehicles. people dont want to shuttle. this year i also heard someone say that they where worried about damaging their bike. shuttle marks on the bottom, trail is to rocky if i drop it.. blah blah..

bike parks are fun and good practice but when it comes to something real like a tight steep old school single track trail, most of the bike park heros dont have the testicular fortitude to even try it.all the sudden the people who are good at jumps and tricks are in a situation where balance, timing and commitment are the keys, they all the sudden dont like biking anymore. i only do park they say.... well now we have another new sub genre... i heard one guy refer to himself as a bike park free rider and say that x-country was an extreme sport.
we have pushed the price of this sport up to the point that the people who would have the grit enough to do it arent. we are left with only a few of us who on down time are building trails instead of sitting in starbucks drinking vanilla lates and surfing the chive on their apple tablets. I dont think they will ever know what its like to survive a shitty shuttle road to find that old line that schley or one of the old time greats filmed in the old days. i also dont htink they care. they also think down hilling is table tops and if you dont go big then you arent good. the whole f*cking thing has become a competition for who has the nicest bike, truck and $900 troy lee helmet.
I currently ride a 2011 santa cruz v10. it is aluminum and one of the best bike i have ever owned. i have held onto it for 4 season now and love it. i get hacked on all the time for not having a 13 or 14 but when it comes time to throw down i am usually in lead because the new bike park hero on his 8000 carbon bike cant keep up. it isnt about balance or skill anymore. its about seasons passes and composite materials.

We finally got snow here yesterday which has shut us down for the year. the best trips this year where Savanah, harper mt and the trails in kelowna. Since this has the word rant in the title of the forum i though i would give it a go.

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 10:07 Quote
unwindingcarrot wrote:
pinkkrow wrote:

spiked trees? still learning all terminology

ya dont nail the trees, cause if someone hits it with a chainsaw it would be bad news.

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 18:39 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
unwindingcarrot wrote:
liamthebadger wrote:

its not just that. most of the local trails are hard on vehicles. people dont want to shuttle. this year i also heard someone say that they where worried about damaging their bike. shuttle marks on the bottom, trail is to rocky if i drop it.. blah blah..

bike parks are fun and good practice but when it comes to something real like a tight steep old school single track trail, most of the bike park heros dont have the testicular fortitude to even try it.all the sudden the people who are good at jumps and tricks are in a situation where balance, timing and commitment are the keys, they all the sudden dont like biking anymore. i only do park they say.... well now we have another new sub genre... i heard one guy refer to himself as a bike park free rider and say that x-country was an extreme sport.
we have pushed the price of this sport up to the point that the people who would have the grit enough to do it arent. we are left with only a few of us who on down time are building trails instead of sitting in starbucks drinking vanilla lates and surfing the chive on their apple tablets. I dont think they will ever know what its like to survive a shitty shuttle road to find that old line that schley or one of the old time greats filmed in the old days. i also dont htink they care. they also think down hilling is table tops and if you dont go big then you arent good. the whole f*cking thing has become a competition for who has the nicest bike, truck and $900 troy lee helmet.
I currently ride a 2011 santa cruz v10. it is aluminum and one of the best bike i have ever owned. i have held onto it for 4 season now and love it. i get hacked on all the time for not having a 13 or 14 but when it comes time to throw down i am usually in lead because the new bike park hero on his 8000 carbon bike cant keep up. it isnt about balance or skill anymore. its about seasons passes and composite materials.

We finally got snow here yesterday which has shut us down for the year. the best trips this year where Savanah, harper mt and the trails in kelowna. Since this has the word rant in the title of the forum i though i would give it a go.

Downhill was born on trails not park nuff said

Posted: Nov 28, 2014 at 11:41 Quote
Got all stoked to go out and build, and was gonna take pictures to document the whole process.
The dad said no Frown
photo

Posted: Nov 28, 2014 at 15:11 Quote
MrDman wrote:
Got all stoked to go out and build, and was gonna take pictures to document the whole process.
The dad said no Frown
photo

That's supper crappy soon enough he won't be able to say no unless it his truck glad I don't live at home no more lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013358
Mobile Version of Website