Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
Posted: Jan 13, 2015 at 1:16 Quote
You won't be able to do a great deal, most wooden features are usually black or orange graded. Your probably best walking out the trail, seeing what can be fit where and then decide from there. Log rides? Tbh, unless they're larch logs, youd want to plank the top to stop it getting as slippery, and you'll need either a chainsaw or a sharp bow saw and a lot of patience.

Posted: Jan 13, 2015 at 1:52 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
You won't be able to do a great deal, most wooden features are usually black or orange graded. Your probably best walking out the trail, seeing what can be fit where and then decide from there. Log rides? Tbh, unless they're larch logs, youd want to plank the top to stop it getting as slippery, and you'll need either a chainsaw or a sharp bow saw and a lot of patience.
Thanks for the input Salute ; it was just one of those ideas banging around in my head... I've pretty much finished clearing and now I am working on features to be honest.

Posted: Jan 13, 2015 at 2:26 Quote
Raised been kicker

Wallride

Posted: Jan 13, 2015 at 18:09 Quote
last year was the year of the stupid steep shoot. i think this year im going to remove all uphills and put in step ups all the way down....

Posted: Jan 14, 2015 at 21:48 Quote
So just a quick question to see how it is for you guys;

How far is it for you to get to the top of your trail? (from your house or something)

For me I have to get in the truck with my bike and drive about 2 miles from my house to a dirt road, which is about another mile of just sandy and rough road. Then I get to the bottom of the hill and its a bit of a technical climb in the truck where you have to drive over some rocks and around some boulders for about a half mile. All to get to a mediocre downhill trail.

Posted: Jan 14, 2015 at 22:42 Quote
MrDman wrote:

How far is it for you to get to the top of your trail? (from your house or something)

For me I have to get in the truck with my bike and drive about 2 miles from my house to a dirt road, which is about another mile of just sandy and rough road. Then I get to the bottom of the hill and its a bit of a technical climb in the truck where you have to drive over some rocks and around some boulders for about a half mile. All to get to a mediocre downhill trail.
about 100 meters to a very average dh track that can be done in roughly 25 seconds haha. All dh runs around my place are sub 1 minute roughly :/

Posted: Jan 14, 2015 at 23:37 Quote
yep mine is about the same

Posted: Jan 15, 2015 at 1:48 Quote
30 min by road on the bike, maybe 20 when not carrying tools. Or i can go via some trails and road, which takes 40 mins.

Posted: Jan 15, 2015 at 6:46 Quote
I live in Vernon BC so pick one...

Kamloops is an hour. silver star is 30 mintues, noble canyon (where i have been building) is about 30 minutes, ellison is 15 mintues, behind my house is 2 seconds.

Posted: Jan 15, 2015 at 9:02 Quote
have you got any tips on machine building ( smallish digger) because me and my mate are going to start a dirt jump line. we have only built jumps with shovels and buckets before. Also is mulch landings just wood chips on top of a dirt landing ?

thanks

Posted: Jan 15, 2015 at 14:36 Quote
MrDman wrote:

Half an hour drive dude, and my local trail used to suck too...
Why not make it a super cool downhill trail?

Posted: Jan 15, 2015 at 21:53 Quote
ghooostdog wrote:
MrDman wrote:

Half an hour drive dude, and my local trail used to suck too...
Why not make it a super cool downhill trail?

It rains about three times a year here, getting water to the trail other ways is a pita, resulting in not alot of quality building going on lol

Posted: Jan 15, 2015 at 23:40 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
Mine being an official spot with actual gates and the like we have very few problems with motor vehicles, though for a while there were a few chavs who brought their pit bikes and proceded to roll everything. The one time I caught them was enough to stop them, having a 20st guy running through the trees wielding a sledge hammer bellowing obscenities at them seemed to scare them, plus the fact i told them if i caught them up there again their bikes would be left in lots of little pieces did the trick. One of them started trying to kick off back and nearly got a sledge hammer to the face. They left very quickly after 3 of my mates had to jump on me and tell them to run haha. Our main problem is horses these days, apparently most horse riders are too stupid to realise a trail with 3 - 5ft drops in it isnt for them.

does no one else have problem with horse riders thinking they are on monster trucks or something. they will trod all over lips, and smush them to the ground, they'll walk straight over the middle of the berm... and then complain that mountain bikers destroy tails Facepalm i just wanna Dead Horse

Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 7:50 Quote
Best analogy ever!

Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 12:51 Quote
yeah, couldn't really come up with anything...

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019226
Mobile Version of Website