Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 12:40 Quote
visualise and then if you go too far make the lip and landing steeper, if you constantly come up short make them more shallow Salute

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 12:42 Quote
Tbh I don't even use landings I only HUCK to flat lol

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 15:27 Quote
basically just hit and hope then haha

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 16:41 Quote
yeah just eyeball it, we eyeballed every one of our jumps and they work sweet.

I hope we got our big hip right because thats gonna hurt when you case or overshoot lol

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 23:35 Quote
You have to remember how much you as a rider can effect the jump, the tweaking process is what makes the lip shoot you to the landing. It's rarento get it spot on first time

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 22:23 Quote
that is true, our berm has been tweaked 3 times and still isnt perfect, we ned to tweak the jump before it to get into it right as well and make it more of a hip.

It never ends with trails. constantly tweaking, building, improving both the trails and your skills.

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 1:06 Quote
double posting and not giving a f*ck, how do you guys deal with termites for your wooden features? any way I can treat the wood I cut down myself? our last trail hut was infested and some beams broke pretty quick, and it had to be torn down today, so does anyone have a chemical or process they would suggest? google was a useless pile of shit and just said that I need chemicals that require licencing to use, but surely theres a home remedy?

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 at 13:03 Quote
Lime sulphur.
it's a stinky old liquid, you spray it on.
It f*ckin stinks like rotten eggs but it kills just about everything! It makes the wood go white as it dries too giving a very weathered appearance.
you need to spray it twice a year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_sulfur

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 at 13:06 Quote
Cheers dude! I'll look into it.

Posted: Feb 2, 2015 at 12:54 Quote
When 30 little kids decide to have a battle on the jumps you just rebuilt...

Posted: Feb 2, 2015 at 15:09 Quote
1st time in here. do you guys have any experience with the trail-insight portable tools? durable? perform well?
curious. might trade some bike parts for the handles w/macleod & rogue heads. thnx

Posted: Feb 2, 2015 at 15:45 Quote
I want a full set, looks a sweet bit of kit, especially for those days your up on the hill by yourself. Can't comment on durability or anything though it does look pretty sturdy.

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 20:16 Quote
Yeah me and a buddy of mine have some nice dirt jumps in This old dirt field by a sams club, a lot of people go through there and yesterday we came to find out some shit biscuit ripped up some of our nicest doubles for no f*cking reason. And since I live in a damn desert, the dirt we have to work with is mostly dust so we have to wait till it rains.

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 0:13 Quote
liquidchicken wrote:
Yeah me and a buddy of mine have some nice dirt jumps in This old dirt field by a sams club, a lot of people go through there and yesterday we came to find out some shit biscuit ripped up some of our nicest doubles for no f*cking reason. And since I live in a damn desert, the dirt we have to work with is mostly dust so we have to wait till it rains.

Damn, that really sucks...

Well, Today, my friends and I found out how much dirt you need to build a decent sized jump with a landing. Went to the park, dug up 3 wheelbarrows of dirt, rolled it to the spot and boom, we didn't get half a foot of height. Real time consuming too, have to get water from this leaky ass water fountain that doesn't work, but other than that, lots easier to build compared to other places... buuuttt then, our 4 hours of work went straight out the window as these 9 year olds decided to ride soaking wet jumps with their walmart bikes, and to no surprise, they fell and started crying.

The building conditions are almost optimal right now though, the dirt is damp enough for digging b/c of rain 3 days ago and because there's winter break. Smile

Bottlerocket build

After building our little berm, this is what 2 hours of work ended up at.

Also, what do you guys use to pack down dirt? everything seems to stick and crap. Nothing gets done.

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 6:45 Quote
you can spray some dry soil on top of the wet stuff, or soak your shovel into a bucket of water

btw why don't you dig the dirt from the roll in/out, that's a lot quicker??

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012458
Mobile Version of Website