Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2016 at 22:37 Quote
So I'm building a trail in a new zone and I've ran across some poison oak. Anyone have advice/tips/warnings about building around the stuff?

Posted: Mar 10, 2016 at 22:55 Quote
The-dirt-farmer wrote:
So I'm building a trail in a new zone and I've ran across some poison oak. Anyone have advice/tips/warnings about building around the stuff?

Well Ill tell you one thing. dont wipe you ass with it.

Posted: Mar 10, 2016 at 23:20 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
The-dirt-farmer wrote:

Well Ill tell you one thing. dont wipe you ass with it.

Sage advice. If you have a shovel you never want to use again, and some REALLY thick gloves and clothes, you can chop away at its base and up root it and kill it. Thats what I do.

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 14:58 Quote
i have made a table top jump and I'm trying to make it harder but anytime i put water on in it just makes the dirt on top slide off. Any advice on hardening the jump?

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 20:05 Quote
What are you using to water with?

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 0:17 Quote
On really hardpacked dirt I find using my hand pumped garden sprayer works well as it penetrates the ground better than just a pouring or a watering can.

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 20:46 Quote
ya I'm using a watering can so maybe ill try a more pressurized water source

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 21:11 Quote
Also they are doing some construction on my property and will have some leftover good quality dirt. I will want to use it for my jumps and i have a hill with a slight incline where I want to build some jumps. should they just dup the dirt in a couple piles or spread it out over the area so i can dig and work with the dirt easily?

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 21:13 Quote
Have them set the dirt where you want each jump. Imagine how much time it would save you.

Posted: Apr 2, 2016 at 17:50 Quote
Hey i am building another trail on my property and i want to make it go down a grass hill. What is the best way to clear grass so i can make my trail there. The grass is well alive and about 1/2 to 1 foot tall.

Posted: Apr 2, 2016 at 17:52 Quote
HuntB wrote:
Hey i am building another trail on my property and i want to make it go down a grass hill. What is the best way to clear grass so i can make my trail there. The grass is well alive and about 1/2 to 1 foot tall.

Mx bike and rut it up. You can create a tutorial trail by ridding the crap out of it when it rains. Or with a shovel. You decide hahahaha

Posted: Apr 2, 2016 at 19:26 Quote
If you already have the layout planned you can use the sod chunks and stack them together to build the base/outer edge of jumps/berms. I'm sure some people here have photos. Basically picture brick walls but the bricks are sod chunks evenly spaced together.

After you clear the grass from the trail and have your jumps stacked you can use the dirt from the trail to fill and surface everything.

Posted: Apr 10, 2016 at 5:56 Quote
HuntB wrote:
high power lawnmoar and put it on its lowest length you should be nearly chopping the dirt with it at that stage takes minimal time aswell

Posted: Apr 13, 2016 at 11:59 Quote
mcjump wrote:
HuntB wrote:
high power lawnmoar and put it on its lowest length you should be nearly chopping the dirt with it at that stage takes minimal time aswell

Well thats a good way to loose a toe and f*ck up a lawn mower.

I use a gas powered brush saw/ weed wacker.

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 22:09 Quote
Have any of you guys dealt with bees before? The flowers at my trail have all bloomed and every plant has at least 5 bees in it. Should I just quit digging until the end of summer?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012927
Mobile Version of Website