Messed ankles?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 at 10:30 Quote
back in march i happened to sprain my ankle and i never gave it time to heal fully. now its december 24 and it still hurts when i land hard or it bends to far then i can walk for a good 2 hours. i know im going to have ankle problems next riding season. does anyone know a good kind of ankle brace to wear when i ride?

Posted: Dec 24, 2011 at 10:42 Quote
I've seen some people run the 661 ones and I've been thinking of trying them out myself before I mess up my ankle. If some one has experience on them, it would be nice to hear!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45076

Posted: Dec 24, 2011 at 10:45 Quote
kanioni wrote:
I've seen some people run the 661 ones and I've been thinking of trying them out myself before I mess up my ankle. If some one has experience on them, it would be nice to hear!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45076
haha okay ill try it! i shoulda jsut swaited a couple weeks and let it heal -.-

Posted: Dec 24, 2011 at 11:00 Quote
Wanna post up a little review if you get them? Would be appreciated Smile

Btw. I think I saw Söderström wear those in one of his edits, which means they won't limit your style too much tup

Posted: Dec 24, 2011 at 11:01 Quote
kanioni wrote:
Wanna post up a little review if you get them? Would be appreciated Smile

Btw. I think I saw Söderström wear those in one of his edits, which means they won't limit your style too much tup

well they say they dont affect your riding

Posted: Dec 24, 2011 at 11:06 Quote
Sounds good then. They look like they will protect and support fairly well too. I hope you'll get your ankle sorted out!

Posted: Dec 24, 2011 at 11:07 Quote
I'd do some strength training this off-season to help bring your ankle back up to speed. Once an ankle is badly sprained it may never be as strong as before, even years later, especially if you've done nothing beyond rest the joint. I've done toe-raises on stairs (stand with just your toes on a step with the back of your foot hanging off the edge, then raise yourself to your tip-toes, then back down again. rep this til you feel a burn and repeat a few times a day/every other day. in the meantime, I've used ACE bandages with success in lieu of an actual brace. In my experience a brace is better for newer injuries where you really need to restrict movement to prevent re-injury, while the elastic wrap provides much better flexibility while still giving some support for the weakened muscles. generally with sprains the sooner you can use the injured area the sooner it will start to heal and regain strength.

That said, if you're still having pain 8-9 months later under normal circumstances, you may want to get it checked out if you haven't already. A month or three wouldn't be uncommon especially for a bad sprain, but 8-9 months is a pretty long time if it was just a single incident.

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 at 19:19 Quote
gordanfreman wrote:
I'd do some strength training this off-season to help bring your ankle back up to speed. Once an ankle is badly sprained it may never be as strong as before, even years later, especially if you've done nothing beyond rest the joint. I've done toe-raises on stairs (stand with just your toes on a step with the back of your foot hanging off the edge, then raise yourself to your tip-toes, then back down again. rep this til you feel a burn and repeat a few times a day/every other day. in the meantime, I've used ACE bandages with success in lieu of an actual brace. In my experience a brace is better for newer injuries where you really need to restrict movement to prevent re-injury, while the elastic wrap provides much better flexibility while still giving some support for the weakened muscles. generally with sprains the sooner you can use the injured area the sooner it will start to heal and regain strength.

That said, if you're still having pain 8-9 months later under normal circumstances, you may want to get it checked out if you haven't already. A month or three wouldn't be uncommon especially for a bad sprain, but 8-9 months is a pretty long time if it was just a single incident.

in school i have power fit which is during my off season and its a hour and 15 min class where u jsut work out. 5 days a week. is there anything i can do to rebuild the strengh of the ankle and also get in shape for next season? like
monday: arms
tuesday:chest
wed legs
ect yknow?

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 at 12:59 Quote
Finally got around to uploading a photo of my ankle that I messed up.

Check out this shit haha

Taken on my crappy phone busted my ankle big and couldn t walk for several months. Went for physio and its still not right. Got cellulitis bacterial infection and nearly got blood poisoning... just from a sprained ankle how crazy. And my lower leg isnt that thick the swelling travelled up my leg to my knee.

Posted: Jan 31, 2012 at 8:51 Quote
gordanfreman wrote:

Once an ankle is badly sprained it may never be as strong as before, even years later

If the ankle was never taken care of correctly (and diet is just absolutely terrible) there is no reason an ankle should not come back up to strength.

I do however agree with strength training for it.

Anyway, it's not uncommon to re-twist or sprain an ankle multiple times in a relatively short period after the first injury. I saw this alot skateboading and playing basketball. That's why wearing a brace now is of extreme import. DO EET!

And why don't people wear boots for the ankle support in the first place? It shocks me to see people doing dh/fr stuff in low tops.

Posted: Feb 7, 2012 at 16:06 Quote
tschmidt55 wrote:
back in march i happened to sprain my ankle and i never gave it time to heal fully. now its december 24 and it still hurts when i land hard or it bends to far then i can walk for a good 2 hours. i know im going to have ankle problems next riding season. does anyone know a good kind of ankle brace to wear when i ride?

Have you got a wobble board? Try practising standing on it with one leg everyday. I twisted mine around the same time as you and it is only getting better since I started using the wobble board.

All the best!

Harry

Posted: Mar 19, 2012 at 16:50 Quote
Hi,

I had a really bad ankle injury, ruptured ligaments etc...

After 3 years I still didn't have full mobility, it hurt after long walks and I couldn't run properly on it. I was give some insoles that were supposed to help but didn't. On suggestion of Physio I tried Vibram Five Finger shoes, these are a 'barefoot' shoe. Since I've had them I've run in 2 XC events and even go rock climbing not to mention riding the bike. My ankle will never be 100% but these shoes make me use my foot properly and therefore strengthened my ankle.

Down side is the five fingers are ugly and you get some really odd looks wearing them, also the first week was agony wearing them as my feet adjusted.

Gee

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011706
Mobile Version of Website