Best places to live in BC

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Best places to live in BC
Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 2, 2012 at 16:30 Quote
What is the best place in BC, to get a lot or some acreage? I'm thinking about moving to BC, and whats it like there, like the climate and stuff like that? So if anyone could help me out that would be nice thank you.

Posted: Jan 5, 2012 at 13:32 Quote
nickthebadassnelson wrote:
What is the best place in BC, to get a lot or some acreage? I'm thinking about moving to BC, and whats it like there, like the climate and stuff like that? So if anyone could help me out that would be nice thank you.

Dude seriously the Google is your friend

Mild damp and wet winters on the left coast, snowy and cold in the interior, bitter up north.

Mild summers on the left coast, hot in the interior, moderate and short up north. Interior has distinct 4 season weather.

Search mls.ca for lots/acreages and use the filter options. 50% of BC's population lives in the lower mainland so choose between people/metro, or rural/small town.

Posted: Jan 5, 2012 at 14:50 Quote
gnarbar wrote:

Dude seriously the Google is your friend

Mild damp and wet winters on the left coast, snowy and cold in the interior, bitter up north.

Mild summers on the left coast, hot in the interior, moderate and short up north. Interior has distinct 4 season weather.

Search mls.ca for lots/acreages and use the filter options. 50% of BC's population lives in the lower mainland so choose between people/metro, or rural/small town.
Thank you man that helped me alot

Posted: Jan 5, 2012 at 15:57 Quote
moving from Florida ?

expect some serious culture shock

Posted: Jan 5, 2012 at 18:26 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
moving from Florida ?

like what do you mean?

Posted: Jan 6, 2012 at 15:04 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
moving from Florida ?

like what do you mean?

Well, let's see;
Florida= flat
BC= mountains
Florida=palm trees/no winter
BC=pine, spruce, cedar trees\big snow winters
Florida= mountain biking? I guess
BC= best mountain biking in the world - period!

For me, the best place in BC is in the Interior/Okanagan. 4 seasons, easy winters, awesome riding and skiing.
Plus easy access to all other parts of BC, west, east and north.
IMO it's Penticton. Riding season is 8 months long, the best ski\snowboard terrain is only 1/2 hour drive,
the best beaches in BC (bikinis, bikinis, bikinis), Silver Star Bike Park is less than 2 hrs. drive.
The only issue is employment but that depends on what skills\education you have or are willing to do.
Choose anywhere in BC and you can't go wrong.

Posted: Jan 10, 2012 at 21:54 Quote
Okanagan in the interior for sure. I live in Penticton and the mountainbiking here is superb as are the winter sports if you ski or snowboard. The summers here are damn near tropical......gotta love it.

Posted: Jan 13, 2012 at 17:13 Quote
and lots of weed smoking
topsog wrote:
gnarbar wrote:
moving from Florida ?

like what do you mean?

Well, let's see;
Florida= flat
BC= mountains
Florida=palm trees/no winter
BC=pine, spruce, cedar trees\big snow winters
Florida= mountain biking? I guess
BC= best mountain biking in the world - period!

For me, the best place in BC is in the Interior/Okanagan. 4 seasons, easy winters, awesome riding and skiing.
Plus easy access to all other parts of BC, west, east and north.
IMO it's Penticton. Riding season is 8 months long, the best ski\snowboard terrain is only 1/2 hour drive,
the best beaches in BC (bikinis, bikinis, bikinis), Silver Star Bike Park is less than 2 hrs. drive.
The only issue is employment but that depends on what skills\education you have or are willing to do.
Choose anywhere in BC and you can't go wrong.

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 at 18:09 Quote
Well I was going to post a new topic but thought i'll just add to this one since its close enough to my thoughts.
I'm seriously considering a move to BC. Living in Edmonton area now, got a good job here as a welder working at a power plant, good money, but it seems every time I have vacation time I'm out in BC somewhere mountain biking. I got a real taste of Whistler/Squamish/North shore riding last summer and I just can't shake the memories. can't wait to go back! Makes sense to me right now just to move out there somewhere so i can just go biking every day.
So whats a good place to live for a welder? My thoughts right now are Kamloops, first of all cause I have some friends out there, second, seems like an all round good place for riding, got Sun peaks close by, lots of XC/DH trails nearby the city, looks like a few welding shops in the area, and last but not least important cost of living seems very reasonable. And when i have vacation time I can always go camping in squamish, only 4 hours away!
What you guys think? I love squamish, whistler, north shore riding but work seems hard to find and cost of living higher out there on the coast for a tradesperson. I could be way off in my perception of things, i've just done some google searching.
Thanks for any ideas, input.

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 at 18:23 Quote
jonb505 wrote:
Well I was going to post a new topic but thought i'll just add to this one since its close enough to my thoughts.
I'm seriously considering a move to BC. Living in Edmonton area now, got a good job here as a welder working at a power plant, good money, but it seems every time I have vacation time I'm out in BC somewhere mountain biking. I got a real taste of Whistler/Squamish/North shore riding last summer and I just can't shake the memories. can't wait to go back! Makes sense to me right now just to move out there somewhere so i can just go biking every day.
So whats a good place to live for a welder? My thoughts right now are Kamloops, first of all cause I have some friends out there, second, seems like an all round good place for riding, got Sun peaks close by, lots of XC/DH trails nearby the city, looks like a few welding shops in the area, and last but not least important cost of living seems very reasonable. And when i have vacation time I can always go camping in squamish, only 4 hours away!
What you guys think? I love squamish, whistler, north shore riding but work seems hard to find and cost of living higher out there on the coast for a tradesperson.
I could be way off in my perception of things, i've just done some google searching.
Thanks for any ideas, input.

I think basically you win a cookie

I'm based near Kelowna, anything BC Interior is pretty good, but you nailed the why, above.

Just remember BC ain't cash central, people live here not for work and big money aspirations, but for living the dream, so compromise on pretty much everything as far as earnings, job, career, money, and material crap (apart from bike bikes and trucks) is concerned and just live the bro life

If you make the move drop me a line, plenty of good times in the Loops - and personally, I've always found Loops people to be super down to earth and very friendly.

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 at 18:39 Quote
Here's my 2 cents, I live in Victoria BC BTW.

EITHER:

Whistler: AMAZING summers, great party's, nice people, terrific biking, but its snowing 7-8 months a year, so you have to get into snowboarding!

Vancouver: Has the north shore, doesn't snow (maybe 20 days a year), near to whistler and Victoria, good jobs, big city, but it's really expensive, like a million dollars for a BAD house.

Victoria: Doesn't get over 27C in the summer, doesn't snow, close to mt Washington (on the island) with downhill in the Summer and skiing in the winter, has good biking, near Vancouver, whistler, and sunshine coast, lots of local mountains (over 50 within 30 miles) (you can us them 375 days a year), nice people, good size, not too expensive. Bad things: too many old people, too many tourists.

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 at 18:42 Quote
benthirlwell wrote:
Victoria: Doesn't get over 27C in the summer, doesn't snow, close to mt Washington (on the island)

really ?

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 at 19:01 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
benthirlwell wrote:
Victoria: Doesn't get over 27C in the summer, doesn't snow, close to mt Washington (on the island)

really ?

what do you mean really, it's not too far, like a couple hour drive.

Posted: Jan 14, 2012 at 21:12 Quote
Yeah, i think its time for a move. Money ain't everything, tis true. I'm thinkin by the fall of this year i'll make the move. I'm gonna be out there in the spring for vacation, i'll scout things out while i'm there.
Thanks for the tips.

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 9:14 Quote
Fraser Valley is another good option. Year round riding (if you aren't scared of wet roots), proximity to Vancouver (more jobs), more affordable housing prices and tons of riding areas right near by. Expect to make less $$$ for sure, but there are some great trade-offs.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.017588
Mobile Version of Website