The 20" street thread

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
The 20" street thread
Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 6:11 Quote
One of the reasons I like crumlish is because he's a change from the normal everyday pro's.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 6:15 Quote
Exactly, being original is what gets you noticed and what makes people buy your shit and watch your videos. As much as I like Begin's stuff, he's similar to others in the street game.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 6:31 Quote
hwipwill wrote:
Exactly, being original is what gets you noticed and what makes people buy your shit and watch your videos. As much as I like Begin's stuff, he's similar to others in the street game.

You just suggested more Sean Burns type riders

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 6:44 Quote
ianfleming wrote:
crs-one wrote:
justin99 wrote:

Word. BMX just seems to lurk in the background unfortunately. Going in another direction with this.....

May I also add that literally every mountain bike trick is a borrowed BMX trick. It just bugs me how a "progressive" trick done on a mountain bike gets hyped up with lots of attention, yet it was probably done 5 years ago in BMX. Another funny point is how a mountain bike video with sub-par tricks and clips (by BMX standards) can get tons of exposure, yet a progressive, unique or wild BMX video still usually doesn't attract nearly as large of an audience. BMX riders continue to push street, park and dirt to the limits and I feel like certain mountain biking disciplines just ride on the coattails. Obviously some MTB stuff is taking shape in it's own unique way (think Red Bull Rampage for example) which is awesome, but my point still stands.

As a side note in no way am I anti-MTB or anything. Ride what you want and have fun on a bike is my philosophy. Just wanted to point out a few of these things though.

How are you measuring this? Surely the view counts TCU alone generates shit on anything the MTB industry can muster.

edit - also, there are a lot more actual professional BMX street/park riders. How many dudes are making a living riding street on big wheels? I literally cannot think of anyone at the moment. Makes sense that the guys who sit around cashing Red Bull checks and riding their bikes all day would be pushing the limits.

i think just matt really. i think he's the only mtb rider in general that lives off web videos and internet hype.

mtb is a contest sport. gotta win contests to be taken seriously. mtb companys want to see their riders (and their company name) put to use infront of millions of people, not just riders, and riders are the only ones watching web videos whereas the average joe will check out crankworx.

Yeah, I agree with this contest point. That does seem to be the objective.

I get what you're saying CR. I honestly don't know enough about mountain biking to give you a bunch of examples (if there are lots or few I don't know). One slightly relevant example is that kid Anthony Messere who blew up a couple years ago. I realize he's not really riding street or park on his mountain bike, but he came from BMX. I remember him putting out BMX park/street videos and getting a little bit of attention, but overall not a ton. As soon as he hopped on a mountain bike to enter contests and put out videos he got big really fast.

I also think it's hard to judge from an outsiders perspective how financially well off BMX riders and mountain bikers are, but that's a whole other topic.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 6:48 Quote
So i have cracked my driver and need to know what driver will fit the colony clone hub, cant find a replacement one from colony

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 6:48 Quote
Also, I miss discussions like this on here. I don't post nearly as much as I used to because I get tired of reading what parts someone bought, how tall their bars are, or what bike they should get. More stories, more debates, and more content sharing yo!

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 6:59 Quote
I mean more people in a similar style to Sean Burns. Not like go to every spot he's been filmed at and ABD the shit out of it. As in, generally bigger hucking features, more speed, getting people really stoked on riding bikes.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 7:14 Quote
I don't like sean burns at all I preffer peg game

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 7:39 Quote
shoefanu wrote:
hwipwill wrote:

You just suggested more Sean Burns type riders
He talks out of his arse. No logic.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 7:43 Quote
justin99 wrote:
ianfleming wrote:
crs-one wrote:

How are you measuring this? Surely the view counts TCU alone generates shit on anything the MTB industry can muster.

edit - also, there are a lot more actual professional BMX street/park riders. How many dudes are making a living riding street on big wheels? I literally cannot think of anyone at the moment. Makes sense that the guys who sit around cashing Red Bull checks and riding their bikes all day would be pushing the limits.

i think just matt really. i think he's the only mtb rider in general that lives off web videos and internet hype.

mtb is a contest sport. gotta win contests to be taken seriously. mtb companys want to see their riders (and their company name) put to use infront of millions of people, not just riders, and riders are the only ones watching web videos whereas the average joe will check out crankworx.

Yeah, I agree with this contest point. That does seem to be the objective.

I get what you're saying CR. I honestly don't know enough about mountain biking to give you a bunch of examples (if there are lots or few I don't know). One slightly relevant example is that kid Anthony Messere who blew up a couple years ago. I realize he's not really riding street or park on his mountain bike, but he came from BMX. I remember him putting out BMX park/street videos and getting a little bit of attention, but overall not a ton. As soon as he hopped on a mountain bike to enter contests and put out videos he got big really fast.

I also think it's hard to judge from an outsiders perspective how financially well off BMX riders and mountain bikers are, but that's a whole other topic.

You're bang on about Anthony (and shitloads of others). It's pretty frustrating to see people jumping ship just to make more money, though it definitely proves your point about the calibre of competition. I feel like if street MTB had any money whatsoever in it (and it doesn't, to blow up you have to switch to dirt/slope), Sean Ricany would have made the switch by now.

It's definitely hard to tell who's living it up and who isn't, but chances are the guy with the Monster helmet is doing okay. And there's a lot of Monster helmets in BMX street.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 7:46 Quote
Burns is very 90s street style or "dead man" style. That being said burns is very talented and I agree there should be more riders like that. But bonedeth has unique riders like dirt ron, colt fake, Kert petersel, Jay Wilson who's a handrail wizard, actually just a good diversity of different styles. Sean's trying to do something different then most bmx companies, and I like it.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 10:12 Quote
At least he does his own thing style-wise, everyone likes the long sweaters and jeans look now, least we're not doing track pants or something stupid lol...

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 10:28 Quote
hwipwill wrote:
At least he does his own thing style-wise, everyone likes the long sweaters and jeans look now, least we're not doing track pants or something stupid lol...
I do running shorts and a tshirt.... Does that count for anything

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 11:00 Quote
hwipwill wrote:
Clearly you haven't ever seen half the Dub Crew. So f*ck if someone wants to wear track pants on their bike? At least they're enjoying riding a bike.

Burns is insane. I don't like him but I respect what he does. I personally don't have a preference to a style, I like Dak Roche. He can go big, is amazing at street, park and I'm sure he's pretty good at trails too. He can slay rails/ledges and if you've seen his Cultifornia vid he can do insane shit off roofs.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 11:29 Quote
How can you not like him? Haha

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023648
Mobile Version of Website