The 20" street thread

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
The 20" street thread
Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 21:49 Quote
streetrider709 wrote:
*fourth flick lol

No, saying the fourth looks as boring as the third. There's Jurassic park, the OG one that was brilliant as f*ck. There's the second that was more horror flick and less subtle, with the Jeff Goldbluman group. Then there's the third which goes full slasher, forgets the Mary Shelly subtext, and really goes for scare points. The fourth looks a lot more like the third than either of the first two.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 0:31 Quote
I'm more excited for Mad Max really, that looks pretty good. Obviously not as good as the original ones but yeah.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 3:39 Quote
Who makes slim sealed alloy pedals ? So far iv found premium , deity , superstar ? , I'm leaning towards the superstar components pedals , purely on price !

When are the tom dugan pedals out ?

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 7:10 Quote
LOL mad max, i was watching MCM last night and saw the part of "lend us a ride" where they turn their old falcon into the mad max livery, those guys are the best.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 7:36 Quote
The V8 Interceptor looks f*cking sick.

Aaaaand it gets ruined in the first 30 seconds of the trailer, such a letdown.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 8:35 Quote
hwipwill wrote:
LOL mad max, i was watching MCM last night and saw the part of "lend us a ride" where they turn their old falcon into the mad max livery, those guys are the best.
MCM is great

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 9:13 Quote
I follow your sentiments Sherb, I am excited for it because dinosaurs and I think Chris Pratt is a good actor, but disappointed because it really feels like a hackjob of a movie for "nostalgia" reasons to make money. Barren looking plot of "oh god what did we make" sorta like the first one where when Ian starts telling off Hammond about "you were too busy with whether or not you could you didn't stop to think if you should". That being said...what in the actual f*ck is Bret "Starlord" Macklin doing ibn a pack of Velociraptors unless they're running away and he's trying to escape something.

Mad Max will be awesome. Period. Because that concept can not be f*cked up. It's just post apocalypse landscape with vehicles and gasoline is money. Really simple. Really easy.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 12:29 Quote
Creegz wrote:
I follow your sentiments Sherb, I am excited for it because dinosaurs and I think Chris Pratt is a good actor, but disappointed because it really feels like a hackjob of a movie for "nostalgia" reasons to make money. Barren looking plot of "oh god what did we make" sorta like the first one where when Ian starts telling off Hammond about "you were too busy with whether or not you could you didn't stop to think if you should". That being said...what in the actual f*ck is Bret "Starlord" Macklin doing ibn a pack of Velociraptors unless they're running away and he's trying to escape something.

Mad Max will be awesome. Period. Because that concept can not be f*cked up. It's just post apocalypse landscape with vehicles and gasoline is money. Really simple. Really easy.
The only way it could be bad is it gets a little stupid, it looks good though. No doubt Tom Hardy will fill the role of Max quite well since he's Australian(I think haha) too. It looks sick though, can't say anything about the Jurassic park film since I haven't seen them. Must be the only person who hasn't seen it..

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 12:34 Quote
Dude. You must. If you don't I will be disappointed with you.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 12:41 Quote
The answer is already known, sadly. His character is a animal trainer and behavior scientist. Right now we think he's tamed those raptors and they're acting like a pack of dogs. On the one hand, that's kinda neat in idea, in the other, I think it really cheapens the plot and makes it rather silly.

While not totally impossible, there is a lot of suspended disbelief in that scene.

It'll be a good popcorn flick without doubt, it just isn't going to hold a candle to the original, and it makes me sad as they very easily could have saved the franchise. This was to be the strongest installment. It looks as if it might be the most feeble.

And yeah, stoked as for Mad Max. Was never hugely into the first's plot, but the action sequences were beyond insane. Looks like we got more automotive goodies coming.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 13:40 Quote
sherbet wrote:
streetrider709 wrote:
*fourth flick lol

No, saying the fourth looks as boring as the third. There's Jurassic park, the OG one that was brilliant as f*ck. There's the second that was more horror flick and less subtle, with the Jeff Goldbluman group. Then there's the third which goes full slasher, forgets the Mary Shelly subtext, and really goes for scare points. The fourth looks a lot more like the third than either of the first two.
Oh word, i totally agree then. The third blew, hard.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 14:51 Quote
I liked it a lot, it just wasn't in the same vein as the original.

The OG JP is a modern retelling of Frankenstein, using the most modern analogies they could at the time. It was more of a stance on the eco genetics that were going on at the time, such as the now legendary Monsanto Co. The second was about military complexes meddling with powers too great for them. The third was full on Freddy Vs Jason in the jungle with prehistoric beasts. Far more jump scares, far less subtext.

The original was scary because of scenes like that dilophosaurus. You're kinda scared of it, and you've been hinted that it's dangerous previously in the movies, but you're really unsure of how it acts as you didn't get to see it, (No dinosaurs on the dinosaur tour!?) and when it is introduced, you're not sure of it's intent nor it's desire. When it becomes clear, it's already too late and the tension has come to a really f*cking crazy climax.

Jurassic World seems like it's ignore all that foreplay. It doesn't give a f*ck about a slow buildup to an absolutely jaw dropping final scene (the T-rex and the Explorers as example) like the first did. It's more "HEY LOOK YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO BE SCARED LOOK HOW BIG AND SMART THIS THING IS!"

I'll try to shut up now. Lots of very strong feelings on this topic. I adore the series. I adore dinosaurs in general. I adore good horror movies with good subtext. I adore modern retellings of really good stories. I will not adore JW, I will enjoy it.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 15:16 Quote
I love this passion dude. I respect it.
I agree with it most importantly.

Still, a movie with dinosaurs. Even if it sucks it'll be better than most of the crap I've seen roll through theatres.

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 16:08 Quote
On the subject of films, what's everyone's opinion on the Fast and Furious films? I loved the older ones and the series is a big bland now because it's more like an action film, remember when it used to be about street racing and all that shit? Yeah that's where it should've stayed. It's a bit shitty to see it go from an amazing street racing film to just being this average action movie but with added cars, Vin Diesel and The Rock. Nothing special anymore..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024639
Mobile Version of Website