The 20" street thread

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
The 20" street thread
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 7:08 Quote
year's ago when i had a profile hub they we're amazing to me. i literally snapped 6 axles in the span of like 2-3 years and they replaced them every single time for free.

one time the axle they sent me had somehow torn and fallen out of the package it was in by the time it got to me, i told them this and they took my word for it and sent me another one...

theyve probably slipped as a company since then but back then they were f*ckin dope.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 7:15 Quote
JaseZ wrote:
newfie-rides wrote:
I like guards, save the hubs brah

Nice of you to pop in f*ckboi
ya dawg

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 9:28 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
My Elites roll way faster than a Mini, it was more than noticeable going to an Elite and it definitely is noticeable when riding, for that sort of difference I can deal with a small ping every now and then under heavy loads.

Profile hubs are great if you can maintain your shit, if you used dry lube in your hub then yeah, it'll skip, you are supposed to use a light oil like Tri Flow for hubs. Dry lube can make pawls stick down a bit more so that would cause it to skip. I owned Minis and they skipped at first, but they wore in and it went away, after servicing them once every couple months the skipping went away.

My Elites skip maybe once a ride, I haven't touched it in about a year so it could use a clean and re lube, I ride every day and commute. If you can't maintain your hubs, don't run Profiles.
My Tree hubs are the fastest rolling, least draggy hubs I've ridden. They don't have 204 poe, its actually too low to post, but for how I ride its good enough, I'm not racing bmx or riding trials where I use enough pedal pressure to notice it.
But they roll forever, so you never need to bitchcrank, and its nice to not engage quite as fast on fakies.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 9:36 Quote
I think we could all agree bitch cranks are the worst.

The whole team flyout at the old Transgression use to bitch crank like f*ck every time before doing the jump box, never made any sense to me, it's not like there wasn't even room to get a few cranks, because there was a big space between the vert wall and the box..

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 12:15 Quote
So is a bitch crank anytime you just tap the cranks without making a full rotation or do bitch cranks only apply to manuals?

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 13:08 Quote
Gingymp5 wrote:
So is a bitch crank anytime you just tap the cranks without making a full rotation or do bitch cranks only apply to manuals?
I thought a bitch crank was when you use pedal pressure/little cranks to maintain balance on coping etc.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 13:14 Quote
Honestly I feel like most companies these days customer service has really gone down hill.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 13:25 Quote
I thought "bitch crank" was a pretty obvious term.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 13:49 Quote
Kieran-Young wrote:
I thought "bitch crank" was a pretty obvious term.
This.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 16:46 Quote
On the subject of cranks I've been having trouble getting mine to stay quiet lately. I've greased them and tightened them but it usually only fixes it for about an hour or so and then it starts creaking again. Now they don't creak while I'm pedaling but when I fakie they creak badly.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 17:08 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
because the ratchet teeth are so fine the hub can skip over a tooth occasionally, Profile is right, its not a huge deal, my Elite does it every so often and with earphones in you would barely even know its happened, basically this is the trade off for having a hub that rolls so well, is it sometimes skips.

The problem is its not just a loud sound but I can also feel it.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 17:16 Quote
presuming you have a mini? as I said, after i rode the hub for months and oiled the hub, it stopped skipping, clean out the pawls and springs, re lube, and the skipping went away on my minis.

spoke to someone who works on these hubs all the time (owner of a bmx shop) and has owned the same Profile hub for 15 years and he said that these hubs will skip in the first few months, after re lubing them a few months after and cleaning the springs and pawls they usually dont skip until they need relubricating.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 17:20 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
presuming you have a mini? as I said, after i rode the hub for months and oiled the hub, it stopped skipping, clean out the pawls and springs, re lube, and the skipping went away on my minis.
Yep I have the minis. I hope it does go away. I never took apart a hub before but I guess I will have to learn. I did have a shop take a look at the hub after it was already making noise and he did lube it before putting it back together. I'll just give it time. I haven't been on the bike that much so it may get better when I ride this summer.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 17:26 Quote
yeah mine took a good 2 months of riding 4 or 5 times a week or so to stop skipping completely, and apparently that was longer than usual, after that they didn't miss a beat of riding every day. its a common problem that usually goes away.

taking a hub apart is pretty easy, you dont need to remove the axle, just take off the drive side locknut. Don't lose the spacer behind the driver when you take the driver off, it likes to stick to the back side of the driver bearings.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 18:15 Quote
yo13bo wrote:

spoke to someone who works on these hubs all the time (owner of a bmx shop) and has owned the same Profile hub for 15 years and he said that these hubs will skip in the first few months, after re lubing them a few months after and cleaning the springs and pawls they usually dont skip until they need relubricating.

I know of dudes around here who have ridden the same set of hubs for similar amounts of time

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023935
Mobile Version of Website