Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Mar 1, 2015 at 13:17 Quote
Hey

Not a directly related downhill question, but... (I know Miami has pretty much no hills) is there any good bicycle shop there where I could find good deals on Troy Lee Designs stuff or a good Motocross store there?

I'd buy off jensonusa or pricepoint, which have awesome deals at the moment, but my Dad doesn't want to use his american credit card. So instore purchases only for now!Madder

Posted: Mar 1, 2015 at 13:20 Quote
Have cash in hand and show him how much it cost online compared to msrp and see if he changes his mind.

Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 8:31 Quote
lookin to "dh" up my am ride. single crown 170-180 coil fork recommendations? thnx

Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 8:34 Quote
fullbug wrote:
lookin to "dh" up my am ride. single crown 170-180 coil fork recommendations? thnx
Totem, Fox 36 float, x-fusion Metric

Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 9:03 Quote
thnx. have had xfusion product before and liked it. havent owned a marz in a long time. will have to look at them as well again.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 9:35 Quote
Metric looks pretty cool. It has pressure release valves which are really nice on a fork.

Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 10:17 Quote
ethan991 wrote:
Metric looks pretty cool. It has pressure release valves which are really nice on a fork.

Why are pressure release valves good? Unless you are running USD forks with massive stanchions, your fork shouldn't be sucking in air anyway...

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 10:43 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ethan991 wrote:

Why are pressure release valves good? Unless you are running USD forks with massive stanchions, your fork shouldn't be sucking in air anyway...
True but is they're anything against having them to create a more consistent spring rate and what not?

Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 10:54 Quote
ethan991 wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ethan991 wrote:

True but is they're anything against having them to create a more consistent spring rate and what not?

Unnecessary extra cost/weight/complication. Just guessing here but I wouldnt be surprised if they added £10 to the final retail cost of the forks, and they will just sit there serving no purpose whatsoever, until eventually one of them develops a leak or something...

I admit they probably won't develop a leak, but they are more likely to than if they werent there in the first place. If they really are necessary, then a simple grub screw is the best way to do it. But they aren't necessary, so they just shouldn't be there.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 11:02 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ethan991 wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

Unnecessary extra cost/weight/complication. Just guessing here but I wouldnt be surprised if they added £10 to the final retail cost of the forks, and they will just sit there serving no purpose whatsoever, until eventually one of them develops a leak or something...

I admit they probably won't develop a leak, but they are more likely to than if they werent there in the first place. If they really are necessary, then a simple grub screw is the best way to do it. But they aren't necessary, so they just shouldn't be there.
Ahh ok makes sense. What about on the RV1. I'm looking to put one on my build for this season.

Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 11:30 Quote
ethan991 wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ethan991 wrote:

Ahh ok makes sense. What about on the RV1. I'm looking to put one on my build for this season.

Perfectly good forks. Perhaps some people like the pressure release valves. I wouldn't buy the forks just cos of the valves, I wouldn't not buy the fork just cos of the valves. I'd pretty much just ignore the fact that the valves existed.

Have also just found out that apparently the valves can be removed and replaced with a grub screw. This is a good thing.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 11:41 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ethan991 wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

Perfectly good forks. Perhaps some people like the pressure release valves. I wouldn't buy the forks just cos of the valves, I wouldn't not buy the fork just cos of the valves. I'd pretty much just ignore the fact that the valves existed.

Have also just found out that apparently the valves can be removed and replaced with a grub screw. This is a good thing.
Oh cool. Good to know. The whole carbon leg guard thing seems like a good idea too.

Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 11:59 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ethan991 wrote:

We talking about valves like on a fox 40 float right? They work great. Much nicer than using a zip tie. It's a really nice feature.

Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 12:06 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ethan991 wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

have you ever ridden at elevation? going from sea level near san francisco to tahoe, the pressure difrference has a severe effect of fork and tire pressure. the pressure build up in the lowers has a severe effect on fork performance. For that reason alone, bleeder valves are a plus because unseating your lowers and reseating them to burp the pressure out is a pain in the ass. ( and f*ck pushing anything in the seals to burp them)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018256
Mobile Version of Website