Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: May 26, 2016 at 18:44 Quote
My opinion is it's like an inch diameter. My gf wouldn't even notice an extra inch, not sure why guys are in need of that extra inch lol

It solved a problem that didn't exist, in by few years 26 will be back. As lighter, more flickable and lower BB lol

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 20:16 Quote
If I were you looking to get back into dh, I would be heavily looking into a frame that is designed to fit either wheel size. Tr500 for example would hold its value, but offer what you want.

If you don't race I would go 26, and there definitely are advantages to the size in the flick ability and nimbleness aspect, but on longer tracks (3min+) that time saved of the extra roll over and momentum really adds up to a lot of time. Probably not what you wanted to hear but it is fact.

26 you will obviously be able to get parts CHEAP, but lose the high resale value . Good luck!

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 23:49 Quote
If you're not racing then 26" is fine and great. If you are then 27.5 are definitely faster! Light is also good. You'll get a good deal on a 26 just now tho...could get a good deal on a carbon Kona Opertor (2014 onwards) at the moment and get the best of both worlds...nimble and light!!!

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 1:02 Quote
hmm, it seems like there is not really as many drawbacks as i was thinking, damnit! I think i would need to see if i can find a rental of a 27.5 and see what i think of it, before set myself on wanting another 26.

Cheers for all the help though!

O+
Posted: May 27, 2016 at 4:59 Quote
The only thing I'd worry about is spares availability. For what you're describing, it would make sense to stick with 26. If you can find a shorter frame with 27.5, it would probably be best for you as it would provide the flickability of 26 and you'd not have to worry about getting parts next year.
What most people don't seem to realize is that nearly all the new 27.5" bikes are much longer and just a new generation of bikes altogether. The wheel size difference is negligible, the rollover ability is hardly gonna shave a second off of 3 minutes. The longer, lower, slacker geometry is gonna shave a noticeable amount of time, not the size of the wheel.
You can still buy a 27.5" bike that'll be more fun than speed, such as the Rocky mountain Maiden. I do realize it's probably not the price range you're looking into, but it's a good example of a bike, which is gonna be more playful (and likely slower) than a latest generation 26" race sled.
There's really hardly any difference between the two wheel sizes. Look at the wheel size in regards of parts, 26 will be cheaper, 27 will be easier to find, but other than that, judging by what you seem to be asking in a bike, look for a shorter geometry rather than smaller wheels, it'll make a way, way bigger difference.

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 5:01 Quote
horny-norris wrote:
hmm, it seems like there is not really as many drawbacks as i was thinking, damnit! I think i would need to see if i can find a rental of a 27.5 and see what i think of it, before set myself on wanting another 26.

I went to 27.5 recently.
After 30 years on 26" I didn't expect it to be as maneuverable on tight corners as the wheelbase is about 5" longer than my other Dh bike.
The only thing I actually noticed as far as tight turns go, is that 27.5 needs a little more rider input than in 26".
You just need to lean the bike over a few degrees more, and suddenly the trail you thought was too tight is behind you.

Rolling speed is much better too, and rougher stuff doesn't slow you as much.

I only went for a larger wheel (begrudgingly) because of the lack of 26" bikes currently available.
I thought I'd hate it and not be able to flick it about.
I was completely wrong.

From a sceptic to a believer in a few rides.
2 cents

O+
Posted: May 27, 2016 at 5:07 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
horny-norris wrote:

I went to 27.5 recently.
After 30 years on 26" I didn't expect it to be as maneuverable on tight corners as the wheelbase is about 5" longer than my other Dh bike.
The only thing I actually noticed as far as tight turns go, is that 27.5 needs a little more rider input than in 26".
You just need to lean the bike over a few degrees more, and suddenly the trail you thought was too tight is behind you.

Rolling speed is much better too, and rougher stuff doesn't slow you as much.

I only went for a larger wheel (begrudgingly) because of the lack of 26" bikes currently available.
I thought I'd hate it and not be able to flick it about.
I was completely wrong.

From a sceptic to a believer in a few rides.
2 cents
I agree here, I was worried I couldn't ride some of the steeper, more technical trails as well on the 27.5" because it is definitely harder to get it into tight corners, and it's only about 2" longer than my 26 was Smile I wouldn't have liked it a few years ago, but now it forces me to go faster so that I actually HAVE TO lean the bike into corners, even if there's not much to support me. I can no longer just come to a steep turn into a rock slab, scope it and drop in, instead I'm sort of forced to charge into it at speed if there's a corner before so that I can turn the bus. The added stability from the longer wheelbase makes it worth it though, I can come in and out much faster because the bike just goes where I point it.
Still, if I didn't measure the fun I have on a bike by how fast I can go, I'd probably be happier on my older, shorter bike.

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 6:59 Quote
Still on 26 here and getting by just fine but it is already getting harder to find wheels and tires. Not impossible but harder.

I'm on a mostly stock 2010 enduro comp that I picked up used a few months back. previous owner barely touched it. I love hitting jumps and am fairly smooth. Haven't had the chance yet to go big on the enduro but I'm going up to snow summit bike park this weekend. Anyone owned one of these who can report on how it does performance wise and durability wise in bike park situations? I did my research on the bike but didn't find anything about how it will handle occasional park days. If it's not a good bike for the park I may just rent a big bike. Thanks

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 9:23 Quote
mrgonzo wrote:
Still on 26 here and getting by just fine but it is already getting harder to find wheels and tires. Not impossible but harder.

I'm on a mostly stock 2010 enduro comp that I picked up used a few months back. previous owner barely touched it. I love hitting jumps and am fairly smooth. Haven't had the chance yet to go big on the enduro but I'm going up to snow summit bike park this weekend. Anyone owned one of these who can report on how it does performance wise and durability wise in bike park situations? I did my research on the bike but didn't find anything about how it will handle occasional park days. If it's not a good bike for the park I may just rent a big bike. Thanks

you should be fine. I see people riding endure bikes all the time

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 9:29 Quote
Im looking at racing downhill next year any tips for my first race.

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 9:33 Quote
Johnno373 wrote:

smooth is fast

O+
Posted: May 27, 2016 at 9:33 Quote
Johnno373 wrote:

Just go out and do it. Go into it with the mindset that it's just all for fun. Be ready to accept not doing great as it'll be your first time, but give it your all. The most important thing to do IMO is just enjoy yourself. Ride a bunch until then.

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 9:37 Quote
Johnno373 wrote:
Stay calm and focus on getting a clean run not going your fastest.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2016 at 11:40 Quote
Johnno373 wrote:

Relax and have fun

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 14:51 Quote
Gasket-Jeff wrote:
Johnno373 wrote:

Relax and have fun

This.
Just forget it's a race and see it as a blast down the hill with your buddies.
The more you relax, the faster you will be.
Just watch Danny Hart's winning run from champery. Everyone else tried really hard, Danny just flowed.
At one point he looks so relaxed that he looks slow. Then the split showed he was about 7 seconds up.....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.084070
Mobile Version of Website