Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Aug 22, 2016 at 15:48 Quote
TinyTim10 wrote:
TinyTim10 wrote:
Hey guys/girls,

I've got a couple of questions...

First of all, does anyone know the weight of a 2016/2017 Specialized Demo I? Just to clarify - full bike and not the S-Works. Also interested in the weight of the alloy one (full bike) if anyone has it. I know custom builds can vary in weight, but I'm referring to standard spec.

Also, I essentially have a choice between getting a 2016 Specialized Demo I, or a 2016 Norco Aurum C7.3. I would leave the demo spec as standard, but I would have money to spend on upgrading the Aurum, such as the shock to a Fox Float X2.

Which of those two bikes would you recommend and why?

Thanks,
Kieran

Should also probably mention that I could get the alloy demo for the same price as the Aurum, so that's also an option. Another thing (not that this makes much difference) but here in the UK, Demo's are so common - every man and his dog has one. Aurums on the other hand... not quite so.

All 2016.... (same as 2017 I believe)

Demo 8 I Large with pedals 18.2kg

Alloy Demo I only picked up in the shop felt a fair bit heavier.

S-Works Demo XL with pedals 17.4kg

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2016 at 16:09 Quote
Teoslav wrote:
Thoughts about the shimano sh-am7 gravity shoes? Im thinking on the flat version, not the clipless one

I have the clipless version but I can say they are the best bike shoes I have ever used. Really light weight and comfortable. I also have the am5 because i think they look cooler and match my dh kit better but rarely use them because the 7's are noticeably lighter.

Posted: Aug 22, 2016 at 18:32 Quote
MrMiyagi wrote:
For how long can you guys wheelie?

I the learning process atm. Again Big Grin . On a good try I'm able to go like 30meters sometimes further. However, I still feel like I don't have it down and it is pretty frustrating from time to time. Share your learning experience please.

I would recommend learning to manual. You cant wheelie long because after going about 30m you get tired like any other person. With manual, you learn to balance while keeping you energy. Just make sure you have a good bake brake. With a fully it will be harder than with a ht, but once you learn it, you can do it for as long you have speed.

Posted: Aug 22, 2016 at 20:11 Quote
MrMiyagi wrote:
For how long can you guys wheelie?

I the learning process atm. Again Big Grin . On a good try I'm able to go like 30meters sometimes further. However, I still feel like I don't have it down and it is pretty frustrating from time to time. Share your learning experience please.

I went about15 feet once. Fell on my tailbone once when I was clipped in, that felt great.

Nose manual is where it's at.

Posted: Aug 22, 2016 at 23:09 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
Teoslav wrote:
Thoughts about the shimano sh-am7 gravity shoes? Im thinking on the flat version, not the clipless one

I have the clipless version but I can say they are the best bike shoes I have ever used. Really light weight and comfortable. I also have the am5 because i think they look cooler and match my dh kit better but rarely use them because the 7's are noticeably lighter.

Cheers mate

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 0:43 Quote
Hey just took my Rocky Mountain maiden for its first day of shuttles and now you can pick the seat up about 2mm before the rear wheel gets off the ground. I also bought it brand new and I've done 5 runs on it, is there a way to fix it or should I just take it back and get them to fix it. Thanks

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 0:57 Quote
Dhkook wrote:
Hey just took my Rocky Mountain maiden for its first day of shuttles and now you can pick the seat up about 2mm before the rear wheel gets off the ground. I also bought it brand new and I've done 5 runs on it, is there a way to fix it or should I just take it back and get them to fix it. Thanks

Is this your first dh bike?
Sounds like the suspension is doing its job and the bike is sagging under its own weight.

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 2:41 Quote
It is but if I put my hand on the lower shock mount and pick the bike up I can feel the spacer and shock eye moving independently

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 4:36 Quote
Dhkook wrote:
It is but if I put my hand on the lower shock mount and pick the bike up I can feel the spacer and shock eye moving independently
Tighten all the bolts on your linkage and shock mounts. Preferably with a torque wrench to the right setting.
It's not uncommon.

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 6:45 Quote
MrMiyagi wrote:
Dhkook wrote:

Sounds like the suspension is doing its job and the bike is sagging under its own weight.

The bike shouldn't sag at all under its own weight.

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 6:52 Quote
mwilliams wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
Dhkook wrote:

The bike shouldn't sag at all under its own weight.
Why not? Lightweight riders are running low air pressure in shocks/forks or soft springs so they're sagging under the bikes weight.
My forks are sagging a bit as well and I'm like 90kg man after an injury. My shock not coz it's pumped up almost to max lol.

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 6:53 Quote
It's normal on a DH bike, more common with higher end coils. My Commencal (boxxer rc/bos stoy) sags about 3mm either end just under its own weight, sometimes more if it's been serviced recently. So long as he doesn't have play in his bushings or pivots it's not anything to worry about

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 7:13 Quote
If the spring rate was low enough to sag under the weight of a bike it would bottom out nearly when you sit on it.

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 7:31 Quote
mwilliams wrote:
If the spring rate was low enough to sag under the weight of a bike it would bottom out nearly when you sit on it.
Depends on progressiveness of the frame and shock? I can make you sure that my Status Frame was sagging under its weight a bit when I ran lower air pressure while I was 75kgs. I had my SAG right at 30% with riding gear at riding position. 2mm are okay unless he feels a major play in the shock/spring mounts/bushings.
@Dhkook: How about if you put your bike upside down? Can you still extend the wheel 2mms?

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 9:20 Quote
mwilliams wrote:

That is bs. Even Worldcup bikes sag under their weight. Fork and shock. There is an article about Stevie smith's Wilson and it mentions sag. My v10 sags too. It is not a lot, but a couple mm. On the other hand you could claim that Nigel Page has no idea what he does, but I highly doubt it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027360
Mobile Version of Website