Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 14:10 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Generally just a disappointing company to deal with. My inline failed after 3 rides, they didn't want to deal with it.

Specialized gave me a new DBACS to replace my failed inline, that failed halfway through the first ride. Cane Creek refused to warranty that one too, claiming that since the serial number was over a year old it was out of warranty.

Then the big S stepped up to the plate again and bought me a monarch plus, which was fine.

f*ck them, with the many good products on the market that are backed by companies who care I see no reason to even give Cane Creek a second thought.

I remember that the Inline was flawed,they redesigned it. I think is total shit that they didn't warranty it but i've had great experience with my Double Barrel,when i send it to service they are nice to me. But different people with different situations have different experience with them,a thing that shouldn't happen. Customer service should be the same for everyone.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 16:42 Quote
Topic of discussion, would like to hear people's thoughts:

In the moto industry the last few years has been trying to transition to air forks on stock bikes. However many reviewers (former pros and test riders) say that the performance does not equal coil forks and that manufacturers are trying to push it as the forks cost less to produce and allow the claimed overall weight of the bike to be lower. However due to resistance from pros (many pros have been unhappy with air forks and are switching back to coil) as well as reviewers, some manufacturers are switching back to coil forks.

Is the same thing maybe going happen in the mountain bike industry?

I noticed in the recent Pinkbike interview with Troy Brosnan he said he is running coil suspension front and back. I think he had been on air in the past with specialized (I do realize frame design could affect shock choice, but less so with fork).

Are any other pros starting to switch to coil forks? Could we see suspension companies focus on coil forks again? Or is this just the moto industry and I'm grasping at straws

Also why is there still no coil vs air, shock and fork comparison by a bike website? Same bike, same trail and really test to see which is better? Or at least detail the pros and cons in a side by side comparison Ex, Boxxer team vs World cup on same bike and trail.

Thoughts?

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 16:48 Quote
Maybe Troy being a light weight rider likes the bike to be a shade heavier?

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 17:01 Quote
Grubs wrote:

In the moto industry the last few years has been trying to transition to air forks on stock bikes. However many reviewers (former pros and test riders) say that the performance does not equal coil forks and that manufacturers are trying to push it as the forks cost less to produce and allow the claimed overall weight of the bike to be lower. However due to resistance from pros (many pros have been unhappy with air forks and are switching back to coil) as well as reviewers, some manufacturers are switching back to coil forks.

I noticed in the recent Pinkbike interview with Troy Brosnan he said he is running coil suspension front and back. I think he had been on air in the past with specialized (I do realize frame design could affect shock choice, but less so with fork).

Are any other pros starting to switch to coil forks? Could we see suspension companies focus on coil forks again? Or is this just the moto industry and I'm grasping at straws

Also why is there still no coil vs air, shock and fork comparison by a bike website? Same bike, same trail and really test to see which is better? Or at least detail the pros and cons in a side by side comparison Ex, Boxxer team vs World cup on same bike and trail.

Thoughts?
Look,Moto suspensions especially MX suspensions are really really big.Because of that,a rear air shock for a MX need more seals to handle the air in the shock,and because of this the air shock on a MX will heat quite fast and will create friction/stinction or whatever you guys call it,and with more friction the damping will be more harsh and less sensitive/plush than a coil shock. A coil shock doesn't need as many seals as an air shock because air only actuates in the reservoir,you still need the seals to...seal the oil inside and keeping it from going where it is not supposed to go.
On mountain bikes this heating issue is very small because shocks/forks are small and don't handle huge air pressures as MX shock or fork will need to because you need the sag of course but also you need enough air to hold a couple of hundreds of pounds plus you. That's big.

Same thing for forks i'd say. If they heat rapidly then sensivity will not be as good as a coil suspension.

For both MX forks and shocks,if they go air,they heat up rapidly and will need wear seals faster.
Plus coil forks and shocks are going to have more sensivity anyways.
I don't know if i'm wrong someone correct me please.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 18:11 Quote
MetalheadWolfRider wrote:
Grubs wrote:

Thoughts?
Look,Moto suspensions especially MX suspensions are really really big.Because of that,a rear air shock for a MX need more seals to handle the air in the shock,and because of this the air shock on a MX will heat quite fast and will create friction/stinction or whatever you guys call it,and with more friction the damping will be more harsh and less sensitive/plush than a coil shock. A coil shock doesn't need as many seals as an air shock because air only actuates in the reservoir,you still need the seals to...seal the oil inside and keeping it from going where it is not supposed to go.
On mountain bikes this heating issue is very small because shocks/forks are small and don't handle huge air pressures as MX shock or fork will need to because you need the sag of course but also you need enough air to hold a couple of hundreds of pounds plus you. That's big.

Same thing for forks i'd say. If they heat rapidly then sensivity will not be as good as a coil suspension.

For both MX forks and shocks,if they go air,they heat up rapidly and will need wear seals faster.
Plus coil forks and shocks are going to have more sensivity anyways.
I don't know if i'm wrong someone correct me please.

Makes sense with the weight being a big issue. I know KTM was trying to develop an air shock but they did have seal issues and it was ultimately scrapped. I was more thinking about the forks in relation to the moto industry

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 18:30 Quote
Saw a video yesterday with Curtis Keene and Ohlins suspension. He's definitely leaning more towards coil rather than air. Makes sense for sure with changes in weather, altitude, etc.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 19:31 Quote
christianridesbikes wrote:
Saw a video yesterday with Curtis Keene and Ohlins suspension. He's definitely leaning more towards coil rather than air. Makes sense for sure with changes in weather, altitude, etc.
I've heard "rumors"of a limited edition ohlins coil fork and shock Enduro that will be released. He's probably hyping people for that.

But You didn't hear anything...

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 20:23 Quote
[Quote="Grubs"]
MetalheadWolfRider wrote:
Grubs wrote:

Thoughts?

Makes sense with the weight being a big issue. I know KTM was trying to develop an air shock but they did have seal issues and it was ultimately scrapped. I was more thinking about the forks in relation to the moto industry

Well if you're also talking about classic "road" moto racing (sorry i don't know a lot about moto stuff) then it wont be a bad idea to have air forks on those bikes that ride the Isle of man TT or something like that i've seen. the heat wouldn't be the same because in a MX the travel can ramp up from 0 to 300mm in the blink of an eye and there is a very high suspension activity. In road racing stuff there is activity of course but it's not the same so air suspensions could be a great idea for lightweight bikes.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 20:33 Quote
Also guys,i cracked my 951. Would it be better to get a new front triangle (cheaper) or a new whole frame (moar expensive) ? It's a real pain in the back for me to buy a new one so i rather buy a new front triangle,but also i want to do the right thing. What do i do? I am most afraid of cracking it again. Please help

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 0:24 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I've heard "rumors"of a limited edition ohlins coil fork and shock Enduro that will be released. He's probably hyping people for that.

No rumours, it's on the website.......

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 7:30 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Nobble wrote:

No rumours, it's on the website.......
well it wasn't on Sunday when the rep said it was top secret... lol

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 8:12 Quote
Soft or hard suspension? which is faster on the rough stuff? because hard will be more deflective but soft will soak up your speed right?

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 8:23 Quote
Treklife43 wrote:
Soft or hard suspension? which is faster on the rough stuff? because hard will be more deflective but soft will soak up your speed right?

Views: 8,568    Faves: 70    Comments: 9

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 9:38 Quote
Set it up for your current speed, makes no sense to have it harder than you need or softer.

Sure the Pros suspension is harder than most mortals but they have the ability to ride fast enough to make that suspension plush, it's all relative to your speed

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 11:33 Quote
See that's the misconception, just because they ride faster with harder suspension doesn't mean there suspension feels plush to them. It's still uses the same amount of force to compress the suspension so will still feel the same as if you ride fast or slow. They are just stronger and have better line choices/ technique and because you ride faster you skim more. I'd personally say have your suspension as hard as your arms will let you, don't worry about numbers too much

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.026529
Mobile Version of Website