Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 13:49 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
See that's the misconception, just because they ride faster with harder suspension doesn't mean there suspension feels plush to them. It's still uses the same amount of force to compress the suspension so will still feel the same as if you ride fast or slow. They are just stronger and have better line choices/ technique and because you ride faster you skim more. I'd personally say have your suspension as hard as your arms will let you, don't worry about numbers too much

Please don`t do that. Stick to the recommended settings at first and get used to your bike. Then start experimenting with each setting to understand what it does and once you understand your suspension start slowly adjusting it to your needs.
So many people ride completely f*cked settings because "the pros do it" or because they think they have such an extreme/ special riding style.
Also, tire pressure is the first thing you should experiment with as can really change how your bike feels (and how many rims you need per season...) and is the easiest to feel.

There are many answers to set up question like yours but in the end only a stop watch will tell you the truth.

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 19:20 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
See that's the misconception, just because they ride faster with harder suspension doesn't mean there suspension feels plush to them. It's still uses the same amount of force to compress the suspension so will still feel the same as if you ride fast or slow. They are just stronger and have better line choices/ technique and because you ride faster you skim more. I'd personally say have your suspension as hard as your arms will let you, don't worry about numbers too much
actually it does, here's a personal example.

When I go to whistler my suspension feels undersprung so I swap springs and add air because speeds are much higher. When I come back and ride my local lower speed trails, the same setup feels way too harsh.

At higher speeds you can use full travel when the bike is setup stiffer. Riding at low speeds it will feel harsh because you aren't applying enough force to use full travel. It's nothing to do with rider strength.

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 4:51 Quote
As a workshop mechanic, I can say 90% of people would benefit from going back to the recommended settings.. Definitely worth learning what the dials do, but don't turn them all the way and learn to compensate lol

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 7:11 Quote
Taane wrote:
shittymano?
I call it the exact same thing haha

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 15:22 Quote
Hey mates,i got a used 2016 MZ 360 C2R2 Ti.
And i changed the oil the oil in the spring side,both sides are as smooth as they get but when i clamp the crowns the forks get extremely harsh to compress. When i install the lower crown,it almost feels as if the crown was pulling the legs together...if you get what i mean pulling the legs to the together inside,towards the steer tube. I get that sensation,what's going on? When i first got the fork it was smooth,not like this. Help

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 16:28 Quote
Looking for some new flats this year and was leaning towards the straitline defacto since it has 14 pins and have heard great reviews. Also like the way the crank bros stamp large looks and am always a fan of crank bros. any input would help.

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 17:39 Quote
I have chromag contact on am rig,have had the straitline defactos on my DH bike for 5 years now,straitlines are heavier and a bit bigger,have taken a lot of abuse.Pleased with both

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 17:41 Quote
MetalheadWolfRider wrote:
Hey mates,i got a used 2016 MZ 360 C2R2 Ti.
And i changed the oil the oil in the spring side,both sides are as smooth as they get but when i clamp the crowns the forks get extremely harsh to compress. When i install the lower crown,it almost feels as if the crown was pulling the legs together...if you get what i mean pulling the legs to the together inside,towards the steer tube. I get that sensation,what's going on? When i first got the fork it was smooth,not like this. Help

Somebody take this guy's wrenches away haha.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 18:29 Quote
chickendog wrote:
I have chromag contact on am rig,have had the straitline defactos on my DH bike for 5 years now,straitlines are heavier and a bit bigger,have taken a lot of abuse.Pleased with both

Yea forgot to mention going on my DH rig so that's why I was looking at the defactos.

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 19:08 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
Looking for some new flats this year and was leaning towards the straitline defacto since it has 14 pins and have heard great reviews. Also like the way the crank bros stamp large looks and am always a fan of crank bros. any input would help.

Be sure to check out the race face dh pedals! The atlas I have them and like them a lot. Thin, concave, great grip

I've read good things on the deity composite pedals... I know plastic pedals right. But apparently they glide over the rocks and don't shatter like cheap plastic pedals. Plus they are pretty cheap and light

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 19:16 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
straitline pedals run on bushings and are a maintenance nightmare. The defactos are also comically heavy.

If you're in the market for new pedals, get either the atlas, boomslang, vault, or podium.

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 19:45 Quote
mrgonzo wrote:

Somebody take this guy's wrenches away haha.
No shit haha,i figured out the problem anyways

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 23:42 Quote
Anybody know where I can find full replays of last years downhill season?

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 5:50 Quote
GravityCandy wrote:
Anybody know where I can find full replays of last years downhill season?
RedbullTV.com?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019724
Mobile Version of Website